Dreaming of the exact place i'm in

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Highlander

Dreaming of the exact place i'm in

Postby Highlander » 21 Oct 2013 12:35

Sorry if this is a subject you have already discussed, but i didn't find it and i'm curious about this.
I believe this happens to you all the time. I was trying to sleep, then, all of a sudden i felt my body heavier and started to enter a dream (i believe this is WILD). But i wasn't in a new environment. I was in my room, in the same place and position i slept, in my bed. My room was exactly as it is, but a little different. The walls had some huge blisters coming out of it. My lamp was lit but misplaced. I looked at my arms and they were long, thin, with huge veins popping out and only 3 fingers. I then started to hover around in my room, but still paralysed in the same position (like there's no gravity).

What kind of dream was this? How come it wasn't like other normal dreams, i mean, popping up in some environment and situation my subconscious creates? Was this some kind of "lucid dreaming meets astral projection"?
It's so curious how the subconscious created the same place i was in. It was like i didn't enter a dream, but instead i went to a special mental state that gave me a special vision of the real world, like seeing elements from another dimension inside ours. Sorry for this description, you may find it a little absurd, i guess. :p
Last edited by Highlander on 21 Oct 2013 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

Summerlander

Re: Dreaming of the exact place i'm in

Postby Summerlander » 21 Oct 2013 14:17

The environment you saw happened to be largelycreated from memory and hallucinated by your brain filling in the perceived immediate surroundings with its best guess of what it should find. But even this environment replica is susceptible to other subconscious content distortions or even arising thoughts.

It was a lucid dream, all right...a WILD to be precise! There is no such thing as astral projection. (There is no soul and no astral planes populated by discarnate sentient beings.)

Tchau! B-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 21 Oct 2013 14:43

Summerlander wrote:The environment you saw happened to be largelycreated from memory and hallucinated by your brain filling in the perceived immediate surroundings with its best guess of what it should find. But even this environment replica is susceptible to other subconscious content distortions or even arising thoughts.

It was a lucid dream, all right...a WILD to be precise! There is no such thing as astral projection. (There is no soul and no astral planes populated by discarnate sentient beings.)

Tchau! B-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

What an awful depressing post. I competely disagree.
What other opinions can we state as facts?:)

Now summerlander was that little bit in the parentheses needed to explain your point? Nope not all, and this is my problem.

I have no problem with your beliefs, it's your need to convert everybody to your beliefs.

Believe it or not, you aren't helping anybody, just being an annoying "I know all facts of life and you are all WRONGGGGG!!!!!!"

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Oct 2013 17:37

Summerlander's first paragraph was spot on. (No need to make a new debate here about the other. Let it go.)

The further I go from the room, the more holes get filled with my subconscious and if I leave the house it often becomes an entirely new dream-place completely different than my real neighborhood.

I must have 'holes' because I don't have a photographic memory of my room and house. Our minds don't like blanks does it? That's why our blind spots are filled in with surrounding detail. In a lucid dream like this one, it gets filled in by the subconscious. Sometimes the house I am in, is a combination of several houses I have lived in before and they are woven together seamlessly. My memory of who I am now is sometimes lost and I remember houses from the past as if they were yesterday.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Oct 2013 18:38

LucidLink wrote:Now summerlander was that little bit in the parentheses needed to explain your point? Nope not all, and this is my problem.

I have no problem with your beliefs, it's your need to convert everybody to your beliefs.

I see a character in conflict here. One who cannot decide whether he's got a problem or not. :mrgreen:
The bit in brackets is not a belief. It is a disbelief, my dear. There is no astral plane or soul because such things are not found and lucid dreaming is reflected on a hybrid electrochemical brain state. This is knowledge we can scientifically claim. Those who deny it are deluding themselves. Period. :ugeek:

As for whether I am helping someone or not... speak for yourself and let others decide. Stop hijacking other people's threads in your attempt to start unwarranted debates and spread your gospel about the 4th dimension and other such nonsense. :|

HAGART wrote:Summerlander's first paragraph was spot on. (No need to make a new debate here about the other. Let it go.)

The further I go from the room, the more holes get filled with my subconscious and if I leave the house it often becomes an entirely new dream-place completely different than my real neighborhood.

I must have 'holes' because I don't have a photographic memory of my room and house. Our minds don't like blanks does it? That's why our blind spots are filled in with surrounding detail. In a lucid dream like this one, it gets filled in by the subconscious. Sometimes the house I am in, is a combination of several houses I have lived in before and they are woven together seamlessly. My memory of who I am now is sometimes lost and I remember houses from the past as if they were yesterday.

Beautifully put (and I can tell, from experience) and I completely agree. (Much to a certain individual's disbelief that I am actually saying someone is right.) :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Oct 2013 19:17

I must say as a third party looking at it... LucidLink started it. He's the one who changed the mood. Just let it go. Highlander is smart enough to take away from this what he wants, or leave what he wants and decide for himself.

I would like to add though, that when I use to feel the weird sensations and vibrations, or 'feeling your body heavier' as you put it, I would wait for a scene to appear and then 'pop' into it. Or other times I would float around my room. As of lately though that never happens. They just end and I open my eyes and there I am in a replica of my room as I knew it. Sometimes I don't even bother for those feelings to end and simply open my eyes, get up and start moving anyway. There is no need to wait. (its a little disorientating at first when I do this, but it settles down as I walk it off). And yet even OTHER times, I am in bed still trying to sleep not knowing that it is a false awakening or as I call it, a 'false sleeping'. Then I put two and two together and realize I was already in that phase state and get up.

Highlander wrote:What kind of dream was this? How come it wasn't like other normal dreams, i mean, popping up in some environment and situation my sunconscious creates?

I was confused too when it started happening to me. But I feel they are the best way to enter and you have a lot more self awareness, and are more lucid minded. I don't know if there is a name for it, but it's certainly different than other types of lucid dreams.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Oct 2013 19:47

I must say as a third party looking at it... LucidLink started it. He's the one who changed the mood. Just let it go. Highlander is smart enough to take away from this what he wants, or leave what he wants and decide for himself.

You're absolutely right.

I was confused too when it started happening to me. But I feel they are the best way to enter and you have a lot more self awareness, and are more lucid minded. I don't know if there is a name for it, but it's certainly different than other types of lucid dreams.

In such types of WILD we've just 'departed' from the waking state, but, the minute we enter the lucid dream world, our hybrid brain state is still very close to it. Hence why, I believe, lucidity is strong. However, if we are not careful, as the experience unfolds, we run the risk of losing it and the hybrid state will start leaning more towards the opposite (i.e. ordinary dream state).

On apparent separations from the body: I think most people who first encounter this will interpret it as a real departure of the soul from the physical body, or, in the least, consider it as a possibility.

- Padmasambhava

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 21 Oct 2013 19:52

HAGART wrote:I would like to add though, that when I use to feel the weird sensations and vibrations, or 'feeling your body heavier' as you put it, I would wait for a scene to appear and then 'pop' into it. Or other times I would float around my room.

That's exactly what happened to me on a few WILD attempts i made. On one of them, i waited for a scene to be created and then popped into it. On the one i posted i just floated and bouncing around, like i was some object on a computer's screensaver. :D

Summerlander wrote:The bit in brackets is not a belief. It is a disbelief, my dear. There is no astral plane or soul because such things are not found and lucid dreaming is reflected on a hybrid electrochemical brain state. This is knowledge we can scientifically claim. Those who deny it are deluding themselves. Period.

This is an interesting subject and i guess there always will be different points of view. I confess, i still do not have a definitive opinion. Is there an astral plane, such thing doesn't exist, do we have a non-physical body? I don't know. But i can tell you that i finished reading Dr. Eben Alexander's book "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife". He is a neurosurgeon, he is an expert on how the brain works and he had an OBE while in coma and went to another plane of existence. Now, he says he was skeptic about this but he now believes it exists and he even explains it in a neurosurgeon point of view. His brain couldn't have created this experience because the parts of the brain that does it were not working. There are several interviews with him about that. Is it true? Is it all a load of "bull"? I don't know.
Well, i guess you have to read it or watch the videos to make an opinion.
But, i guess i want to believe that there is something else than just our material existence. But this is just me.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Oct 2013 20:03

I've come across him years ago. He is a charlatan and a pseudoscientist. So yeah, it's bull! :)

When they speak of "no measurable brain activity" in hospitals, they really mean just that. But activity is there. Most hospitals are not equipped like labs. In labs, neuroscientists would be able to detect those reverberations most likely responsible for their lucid "near-death" hallucinations.

In fact, one cannot even tell whether such hallucinations occurred during low activity or as the brain was arising back to the waking and highly active state. His hypotheses don't rule out and won't even touch upon (conveniently) false memory syndrome.

Lot's of factors he conveniently and dishonestly ignore. A charlatan with a bit of knowledge who will distort the truth for his own ends. Most certainly a failed attempt to reinforce religious belief or exploit/comfort people of faith.

You might also want to read about malpractice lawsuits against him (prior to his book) where he has altered medical records to cover up his errors:
http://iands.org/news/news/front-page-news/970-esquire-article-on-eben-alexander-distorts-the-facts.html

And this about his book:
http://www.skeptiko.com/220-esquire-proof-of-heaven-expose-debunked/

And this according to Wiki:
"The magazine also found what it claimed were discrepancies with regard to Alexander's version of events in the book. Among the discrepancies, according to an account of the Esquire article in Forbes, was that 'Alexander writes that he slipped into the coma as a result of severe bacterial meningitis and had no higher brain activity, while a doctor who cared for him says the coma was medically induced and the patient was conscious, though hallucinating.'"

Furthermore, neuroscientist Sam Harris has this to say about him:
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/this-must-be-heaven
And then this video where idiots still defend him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_qfd7ASc0

"The truth is, there’s nothing to debate either. He can’t reasonably claim that the relevant parts of his brain (not just the cortex) were “completely shut down.” It’s just not a factual statement. And yet, everything in his account hinges on his making that claim. And even if I granted that his brain had been shut down — it’s not shut down now. And there is absolutely no way for him to establish (or even to subjectively know) that he didn’t have his experience as his brain was coming back online. End of debate, as far as I’m concerned." - Sam Harris

And here are two examples of what really happens in terms of brain function in coma:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422%2804%2900852-X/fulltext
http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Andrea-Eugenio-Cavanna/2010/05/09/the-neural-correlates-of-impaired-consciousness-in-coma-and-unresponsive-states/
Last edited by Summerlander on 21 Oct 2013 21:07, edited 2 times in total.

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Oct 2013 20:45

I don't know if this is true or not, but I tend to agree with this statement I heard once:
"We know more about the surface of the moon than we know about our own brains".

I can't quote who said it. I think I saw it on The Colbert Report when he interviewed a person who wrote a new book. And apparently America is starting a new program to investigate the human brain and mind.
Funny how we all ventured into space for new discovery, but never focused on what was most important.

So without knowing who the neurologist is and never reading the book, I can say, he is a human first and his rank as a 'neurosurgeon' comes second. He can only explain it with his own imagination. (As we all do, and I don't fault him for that). But keep that in mind. He doesn't know anymore than any of us.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”