Always LD'd, almost every night

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
michans121

Always LD'd, almost every night

Postby michans121 » 13 Apr 2012 02:44

First post so not sure what to talk about buutt..
I've always had extremely strong dreams/nightmares every night since i can remember. I'm now 18 and on the rare nights where i don't dream, i literally don't see anything and just wake up.
however, most nights are terrible. I only recently learnt what lucid dreaming means and I can't believe people would want to train themselves to do it. Every lucid dream I have feels like it's lasted an entire day and I wake up exhausted from thinking so much and doing so much during the dream.
In most dreams I can fly similar to how you would swim, which comes in handy as almost every dream ends up with me being chased and hunted down by anyone who sees me. Flying, or air swimming, takes alot of energy and by the time ive flown vertically up a skyscraper to hide at the top, I can no longer 'fly' as fast and usually end up being caught.
I dont usually have much control over the dreams, perhaps 2 out of 7 a week I can guide, but they're mostly random. This is the worst part as early on in the dream i tend to focus on my own presence in the situation and realise i'm dreaming, but i cannot wake. Before I've had dreams where i've frantically attempted to wake myself from inside the dream, usually when under threat from an imaginary enemy, but not been able to escape and had to sit the dream out. Alot of people say, 'How can lucid dreaming be scary if you know you're asleep', but when your worst fears are coming to life with incredible realism and you're unable to do anything to stop it, it's terrible, it just doesn't end.
The only way ive found successful to wake myself is by speaking/screaming, the noise in real life jolts me awake.

Another odd thing about my constant lucid dreams is my ability to wake fully from a dream then resume it once back asleep. I remember wondering as a child if you could pause a dream whilst you woke, so before falling asleep i would think hard about a vivid previous dream, and it would continue once i drifted off. Now, whenever i wake and fall back asleep this happens. Its awful because i'll usually manage to wake myself when the dream gets too frightening and intense (all five senses are stimulated by dreams, i can smell, hear, taste, touch, feel like im falling etc), and i'll think im safe to doze back off and it continues instantly. The only way i can prevent this happening is by getting out of bed and taking a walk etc before sleeping again.

Anyway, bit of an essay but does anyone else LD this often to this degree? I really am starting to hate it, I miss the rare peaceful night of blankness rather than a life threatening adventure every time i close my eyes. Could it be a sign of mental instability?

lucidinthe sky

Re: Always LD'd, almost every night

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 Apr 2012 03:24

I think your lucid dreams are presenting you with an opportunity to deal with the things you are running away from. I think if you stop running away and face down the things that you are afraid of, you will have healing. That's probably why you can't wake up because they are things you are supposed to dealing with. If you keep running away from them, they will just keep coming back. But they are trying to help you.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I am speaking from a lot of experience dealing with fears. And I very rarely have nightmares any more.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Apr 2012 08:03

Same line of thought from me, your dreams and you can be in charge. Just use the strength of your mind and say stop to all the action and it will so you will in one instant be in charge. You are familiar with dreaming and have some control so learn how to use it.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 13 Apr 2012 11:09

michans121 wrote:I've always had extremely strong dreams/nightmares every night since i can remember. I'm now 18 and on the rare nights where i don't dream, i literally don't see anything and just wake up.
however, most nights are terrible. I only recently learnt what lucid dreaming means and I can't believe people would want to train themselves to do it. Every lucid dream I have feels like it's lasted an entire day and I wake up exhausted from thinking so much and doing so much during the dream.

You're having vivid dreams and nightmares almost every night. How often are you becoming lucid in them, as in you know who you are, have your real life memory and know that you're dreaming? Sleep can exhaust rather than refresh one whether one remembers ones dreams and whether one is lucid in them. Vivid dreams are sometimes caused by sugar highs and exhaustion by sugar crashes. You might try limiting your carbs before you go to sleep and actually do light exercise before you go to bed such as taking a 2-4 mile walk. These together can at least cut down on your number of nightmares.
I dont usually have much control over the dreams, perhaps 2 out of 7 a week I can guide, but they're mostly random. This is the worst part as early on in the dream i tend to focus on my own presence in the situation and realise i'm dreaming, but i cannot wake. Before I've had dreams where i've frantically attempted to wake myself from inside the dream, usually when under threat from an imaginary enemy, but not been able to escape and had to sit the dream out.

You will not have dream control in a lucid dream if you're out of control emotionally. You should be able to become composed in a dream, though dream emotions are stronger than waking ones and much harder to control. If you're nightmares are your subconscious showing you your own character they'll also be much harder to control and you might consider changing in real life.

A lot of people say, 'How can lucid dreaming be scary if you know you're asleep', but when your worst fears are coming to life with incredible realism and you're unable to do anything to stop it, it's terrible, it just doesn't end.

Yes, I've been trapped in lucid nightmares that lasted most of the night and which I could not control or wake out of. One has both dreams and nightmares every night and even hypnagogic images can be nightmarish.

Another odd thing about my constant lucid dreams is my ability to wake fully from a dream then resume it once back asleep. I remember wondering as a child if you could pause a dream whilst you woke, so before falling asleep i would think hard about a vivid previous dream, and it would continue once i drifted off.
being able to do or spontaneously experience dream return is normal to almost all lucid dreamers.

Now, whenever i wake and fall back asleep this happens. Its awful because i'll usually manage to wake myself when the dream gets too frightening and intense (all five senses are stimulated by dreams, i can smell, hear, taste, touch, feel like im falling etc), and i'll think im safe to doze back off and it continues instantly. The only way i can prevent this happening is by getting out of bed and taking a walk etc before sleeping again.

This is a lot more unusual as most people don't do it every time they wake up and I can always wake out of dream return dreams.

Anyway, bit of an essay but does anyone else LD this often to this degree? I really am starting to hate it, I miss the rare peaceful night of blankness rather than a life threatening adventure every time i close my eyes. Could it be a sign of mental instability?

Doing wake induced lucid dreams I was doing them every night for two years and whenever I felt like it afterwards. I retained consciousness going in sleep and remained conscious during the whole time I was asleep, but I had the choice of whether to do it or not. I as often as not see hypnagogic images when I'm going to sleep normally. I often see them whenever I close my eyes. I had a lot of nightmarish HI as a kid , every close to being haunted every time I tried to sleep.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

snorman

Postby snorman » 24 Apr 2012 20:09

I feel so connected to your post. So I wanted to share some things. Regarding your nightmares, I needed to take every route possible to stop my performance fright/stage fright so I stopped watching scary movies. I was fascinated by them at one point, in a 'stare at it' sort of way, but stopped. Plus books, and goes for video games too. Pythagoras the ancient Greek philosopher was recorded to say that music listened to provides the subsequent mood and behavior upon hearing. Angry music = angry man, Happy music = happy man. Regardless of tearing away from the dark side, I love to fly in my dreams. I do however get the sensation that I am going too high, or have in the past, where then in my lucid state I curtail my efforts, also wary of power lines and wind force. Well, last night, I said go higher, and blew through the stratosphere, telling myself to do it. I told myself to look back down at the clouds surrounding earth, and as it was night, they were dark; I told myself to look past the clouds at the city lights. My interpretation being that as my personality has gained confidence, my lucid dream states have followed suit.
The dreams are so heavy that I set my phone alarm to go off every 5 minutes in the am to be able to slowly wake up fully. This relates to your 'lucid dream interrupted' comment, I have this too. Knowing when I've gotten enough sleep and ending the lucid dream usually go hand in hand, as the lucid dream somewhat drugs me. My parents used to wake me for school and I'd say to them, annoyed and half asleep, "I'm dreaming" or "hold on I'm dreaming" and always had the sensation that I needed to "finish my dream" or that I tend to hold on to it and cannot wake up. I have been lucid dreaming and day dreaming since grade school. I grew up with chronic ear infections and foggy eyesight. Without these senses strong, I was able to turn inward. My personality has always been deep in thought, looking for the bigger picture, and yearning for something more. I have been extra sleepy lately, which recently brought me to this site. Also, the following was inspiring when I was younger:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/little-nemo-adventures-in-slumberland/little-nemo-adventures-in-slumberland-unknown-587822
This movie inspired dreams in me when I was very young, born in the 80s, grew up in the 90s. It is a must see and is all on youtube in full length.

MatsuMama

Postby MatsuMama » 12 May 2012 01:03

I also feel so totally connected to your post.

When I started lucid dreaming and vivid dreaming, they haunted the hell out of me, literally. My life felt like a nonstop nightmare for a long time. I ran the gamut from insomnia to night terrors to paralysis dreaming to regular nightmares. I only dreamed lucidly on occasion, and pretty much hated sleeping. For a decade I called it my 'plague of dreams' and never felt rested, or in control.

Finally, I just sort of got ANGRY about it. When I had a nightmare, instead of being wracked with terror, I'd get mad and start fighting back. At times I could change the dream, or even push myself into another dream where the threat was no longer there. I learned how to wake myself up, although it's still not a reliable effort, and back then it would land me with a mother of a migraine for days if I did it successfully.

Anyway, I guess the turning point for me was when I got sick and tired of feeling helpless against my own subconscious. I would go to bed chanting to myself that I AM in control, I CANNOT be hurt in my sleep, I CAN be the master of my own mind. And my dreams started becoming more lucid, and I had more and more control over them.

It wasn't an overnight 'fix', so I don't want you to think there's some magic talisman that will sort out your dream experiences. It's more like an acquired skill, that only time and experience can really hone. But the less you fear your dreams and the more you determine to be calm and in control, the easier it might get (it sure did for me). Certain medications helped as well, although be careful - a lot of 'sleep aids' only made my dreams more intense and vivid.

I hope you find your way, and lots of help and support from this website! I only just found it, and I have to say I'm FLOORED by how many people have similar experiences. All this time, I thought I was alone.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”