Did I allow sleep paralysis to invoke a LD?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
TillyPink

Did I allow sleep paralysis to invoke a LD?

Postby TillyPink » 07 Dec 2013 01:58

This may or may not be something that many of you are already aware of...but i will explain my experience:

A few nights ago i was really having a LD filled night and after a particularly interesting LD (which involved taking on many 'tips' in which i have learned here and through other research - thanks ;) ) I have very minor bouts of sleep paralysis (no more then normal) and normally i just force a wake up so i don't have to see things lurking around my room that i know arn't there really but i'd rather not see anyway lol!) But since i was on a roll, as i was at the halfway point of awaking and a mild bout of SP ensued...this time...i decided to explore it a little.

I lay there hearing rushing in my head which sounds just like major wind outside (i know this is common) and i explored the sound and allowed it to be. The next thing I could see a crocodile type creature hanging off my ceiling by my bedroom door. I 'got up' and decided to touch it. I was completely aware that I was in a dream or exploring my SP. The croc latched on to my arm. I then decide to go out of my bedroom door. There seemed to be some kind of force in my room trying to shut my door and on my door was a mystical picture my mother drew when she was sad (but it's beautiful all the same) I noted this (it's not normally there, i have it downstairs.) I very firmly and calmly asked the presence to 'Just stop it'. As the words left my mouth, i was aware that i was also talking in my 'sleep' and the words came out of my actual mouth too. That fascinated me. It seemed i was split in two.

Next i tried to move through the door. But i couldn't. So i became aware that i was too wrapped up in reality still (ego stuff, I have this all the time when LD'ing and now know that it is common) However, i did manage to go through the door (can't remember how now) and i walked down my hall way and my long mirror that is on the wall at the top of the stairs had moved. It was now outside of my son's room. I was very nervous about looking in the mirror as i have never done this before. But...there i was...just me...a little...sleepy looking! Ghost like perhaps. I wonder why i didn't try smiling? But I was aware i had something stuck in my teeth, So i examined my teeth and managed to put my finger into my mouth to get out said stuck debris. Very strange! Not attractive in the slightest! Sorry! :D I examined my face, my eyes, but not what i was wearing etc....soooo then suddenly I'm 'back' in my body state and i can hear this rushing of wind again...and i'm thinking...i could leave again, try again and do more....but there was resistance as something inside me warned it might not be good for me. So i woke myself up.

It was such an amazing night of dreaming, lucid and otherwise. But this experience in this situation is new to me. Has anyone had anything like this? Or know how this may be termed? LD evoked by SP? Perceived 'OBE?' The beginning of some kind of inverted WILD?

HAGART

Re: Did I allow sleep paralysis to invoke a LD?

Postby HAGART » 07 Dec 2013 03:15

I use to get sleep paralysis nightmares after a lucid dream ended and I would find myself in my bed, and harassed by shadows or even, invisible entities. Sometimes it would stroke me with shadow tendrils coming from beneath my bed, and other times an invisible, but sinister entity, would lift me up and drag me around the room! :twisted:

Thankfully, I was already lucid. I usually broke free, got control and left my room or house into a very vivid lucid dream. I think the fear made me more alert.

I haven't had that for a long time now... about a year and a half. It was happening before I joined this site and I was surprised to find out it's not common. I thought every lucid dreamer went through a phase like that.

Anyway, I think of the sleep paralysis as being a type of dream, and since I was aware it wasn't real, it was a type of lucid dream. It's a mean way to start one, but it can be quite vivid afterward since I became more alert. It certainly has something to do with being aware of your real body during muscle atonia, and being half in control of your real physical body. When I yelled during this phase state I too was sure I was moaning in real life too, but never had anyone to verify it.

I don't know what to call it either. It's different than other styles of lucid dreams. But just like a false awakening can turn lucid and become like an OBE-style LD, starting from your own bed, sleep paralysis nightmares are another way to start one too. (Technically the lucid dream already started, but you aren't in full control yet, and getting mixed messages from your 'dream body' and your 'physical body').
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 08 Dec 2013 23:03

So what do you think about the 'sinister' elements to the shadows HAGART? My mum had similar experiences of being lifted from her bed and elevated by a sinister force. She said the lords prayer lol! But she didn't know anything about LD'ing or SP :) I guess my take on it is we don't really deal with our 'shadows' of the unconscious, our dark stuff. And when you take away the judgement and fear through the art of LD'ing, we can meet them, or in your case, outwit them by finding another route. On the other hand these experiences can be euphoric for some, but it does always seem to be the case that when between sleep and wake, sinister feeling forces appear around or the common one being, in bed next to you - yikes!

And yes, I had also been LD'ing so perhaps that's what triggered off my confidence to 'play' with my SP and to relax into it....I guess I was slipping back into a LD but didn't quite understand that at the time hence i only got as far as the hallway getting the feeling i was sleep walking, or OBE'ing.

And yeh, fear sure sharpens you up. But that was the thing for me this time, i was totally fearless (hence i touched the crocodile monster! and told the sinister presence to behave itself :D ) Go me.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 Dec 2013 01:08

TillyPink wrote:So what do you think about the 'sinister' elements to the shadows HAGART?
TillyPink wrote:On the other hand these experiences can be euphoric for some

I've heard it has to do with the Amygdala in our brains, which has an important role in emotion. It goes haywire and we feel EXTREME emotions. I always felt fear before I saw anything, so I think the shadows were my logical self trying to create a reality for the emotions I felt. And since I was dreaming, creating a reality came easily. It can also go both ways though, and you can feel euphoric too. I once fought the same 'presence' once, and it was an Old Hag version of my own mother. I was strangling it when I was suddenly overcome with guilt and stopped. I was then filled with a euphoric, motherly love with an intensity I have never felt before and I hugged her and left. So the emotions, although extreme, can be positive or negative.

After a while, I got use to it, and became more nonchalant about it. In those instances, I didn't feel strong emotions anymore.

Now what's the difference between all this and just a false awakening? I would say, the only difference is that there is an undeniable presence in the room, and a slight sense of dual body. Coincidence? Perhaps that other presence is another sense of 'self' in our own psyche that we project. :ugeek:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”