The False Memory Phenomenon Explained (my theory)

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Re: The False Memory Phenomenon Explained (my theory)

Postby HAGART » 02 Feb 2014 16:10

Here's another thing I've noticed about imagination, memory and dreams.

Sometimes I wake up from a dream, lucid or not, and try recalling it. But I'm too lazy to write it down so I just lay in bed, tired, remembering the dream. I often snap out of it and realize I was starting to make up things in the dream that didn't actually happen. It's like I was going into 'dream mode' (to be technical :lol: ) as I was recalling the dream and instead of recalling real memories I was starting to create with imagination instead. (I guess 'dream mode' is hypnagogia).

I should work on that and allow my imagination to take over, knowing full well it's happening, and not snap out of it. It will probably lead to a WILD. But my first instinct is to snap out of it because it starts to feel like I'm going mad. When you can't distinguish memory from imagination wouldn't that be a type of insanity? But then again, lucid dreaming and non-lucid dreams are a type of temporary insanity when you think about it. ;)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 03 Feb 2014 00:51

Brilliant thread, just loved reading through that!

HAGART you have changed my perception on the concept of NOW. I always had a bad feeling about it. There is no now, this makes me accept mindfulness of experience more readily then this constant attempt to live in the now...now does not exist. Now, I agree. :)

HAGART wrote:When you can't distinguish memory from imagination wouldn't that be a type of insanity? But then again, lucid dreaming and non-lucid dreams are a type of temporary insanity when you think about it. ;)

When you think about it...waking life is just as much a temporary insanity...we are constantly trying to fill in the blanks of that too!

This also relates to my thing about forgetting LD's....when i'm writing in my diary, i have to be so careful to not fill in the blanks...and start writing a story of what makes the most sense of what i think happened. Both in LD and deep dream. The very act of writing or recounting is more story telling, unleashing imagination to do what it's best at. Imagining. Filling in the gaps. But then if it's all imagined anyway....?? ohhh the paradoxes of the universe...*sigh

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Feb 2014 02:10

A phrase I use often in my dream journals is, "I don't know what happened next but..."
You have to be honest.
There are many blanks between how I got from "there" to "here' in lucid and non-lucid dreams and I always admit that in my dream journal. I don't want to make it up, but I can however guess and I give a waking logical explanation.

One time I was in a non-lucid dream at a restaurant and there was a TV in the corner which I started to watch and got enthralled in. The next thing I remembered was being in a car, looking out the window. I can't honestly say how that actually happened, but when awake and looking back I make an educated guess that I went in a trance and the dream scene changed as a result with a gap in memory of the details of how it happened. Hindsight is 20/20.

I think understanding this memory-thing is a big key to a further step in lucid dreaming. I can understand that my mind is out of sorts as I'm lucid dreaming and compensate for it, or interpret them differently as it's actually happening, knowing my "memory" is fictitious at times.

I've many examples and some of them I shared in past responses, but it just 'clicked' one day and I'm starting to view things differently. Because awake or in dream, this false memory phenomenon still persists.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”