How do I convince my friends that lucid dreaming isn't bad?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
taniaaust1

Re: How do I convince my friends that lucid dreaming isn't b

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Feb 2014 14:06

Kaylium wrote: I said LDing can be beneficial, but they proceeded to say how it does more harm than good, because you can apparently get stuck in a nightmare, or die.

Ask them how many people do they know who got stuck in a nightmare and died :lol:

In reality, it would be possible for a nightmare to kill someone (trigger a heart attack if someone had a weak heart and it was scary enough) but that could happen any dream. With LDs.. one can often stop a nightmare thou!!

So what if a person did get stuck in a nightmare for a while..its very unlikely to do most any harm.

People against LD are just basing their feelings towards it on their own fears and not on actual reality of it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 20 Feb 2014 07:16

Kaylium wrote:This morning, I asked them if they thought it was bad, and they both said yes. One of them said when you lucid dream you "mess with stuff you shouldn't be messing with". The other one said that "controlling things is of the devil" which really grinded my gears. So, according to him, doing things like driving a car is of satan? Then the other said that "Lucid" sounds like "Lucifer" which...is ridiculous. I said LDing can be beneficial, but they proceeded to say how it does more harm than good, because you can apparently get stuck in a nightmare, or die. At that point I just gave up. Any good counter arguments? Also, I just don't understand why most people choose to not do this stuff! How can they not see the potential? I mean, yeah, when you're trying to induce a LD you can run into stuff like sleep paralysis, but that's no reason to not do it! So yeah, that's what happened this morning.

One of them said when you lucid dream you "mess with stuff you shouldn't be messing with".

Even from a strictly Christian point of view this is a silly idea. God is sending messages to people in dreams all the time in the bible, to quote the book of Job
33:14 For God speaketh in one way, yea in two, though man perceiveth it not.

33:15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;

33:16 Then He openeth the ears of men, and by their chastisement sealeth the decree,

33:17 That men may put away their purpose, and that He may hide pride from man;

33:18 That He may keep back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword. -Jewish Publication Society translation

If you're not lucid in your dreams or at least aware of them you're not listening to God. Dreams are the normal method God uses to talk to man and not just believers. In the bible God warns Pharoah of both the good times and famines to come.

The other one said that "controlling things is of the devil" which really grinded my gears. So, according to him, doing things like driving a car is of satan?

Actually, the bible answers this too, as one is suppose to ignore the dreams one has caused (AKA ones in which one has practiced dream control). It's in there, but I don't remember the book or verse.

Then the other said that "Lucid" sounds like "Lucifer" which...is ridiculous.

No, he's correct Lucid and Lucifer both ultimataely come from the Latin word "lux" (English "light"). Lucifer literally means "Light bringer". It also had no association with the devil, but seems a common 4th century name, as there was a Saint Lucicer martyred by the Vandals and a Bishop Lucifer. The idea that Lucifer is the Devil was started by Jerome who first transalted the word "heylel" (meaning "son of the morning") as Lucifer. Isahiah 14:12. It's clear if one actually reads Isahiah that he's talking about a man not an angel or devil. Christians have always taken this verse out of context ;) Satan is not really named in the bible "Ha Satan" literally means "The Adversary" and is not a name [though Satanel appears as a name in Enoch, that fallen angel is not really the devil though.

I said LDing can be beneficial, but they proceeded to say how it does more harm than good, because you can apparently get stuck in a nightmare, or die.

I'm the one who brought both these points up. Being stuck in a nightmare even a really terrible one builds character. Sudden death can be caused in people with healthy hearts by any intense emotion and is a very rare cause of death. Lucid dreaming actually gives one more control over ones emotions in dreams and out of them, likely reducing ones chance of dying from intense emotion in the long run, but if you're the one who loses the short term lottery the long term will not matter.
Last edited by Snaggle on 01 Mar 2014 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2014 23:47

Thanks Snaggle. I thought your post was a quite interesting read.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”