How long does it usually take to enter sleep paralysis?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Kaylium

How long does it usually take to enter sleep paralysis?

Postby Kaylium » 08 Feb 2014 22:59

Ok, so last night, I woke myself up after 4 hours of sleep, stayed awake for 30 minutes, and then went to bed and tried to induce SP. But, the thing is, I never saw any hypnagogia, and I was laying there for 6 or 7 minutes. I didn't move at all, I only swallowed one or two times, and I kept my eyes relatively still. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Snaggle

Re: How long does it usually take to enter sleep paralysis?

Postby Snaggle » 17 Feb 2014 08:20

The normal sleep pattern goes like this: one enters HI; they deepen into NREM dreams; one enters delta sleep where essentially ones brain is off (a slight exaggeration); as one leaves Delta sleep Rem muscle atonia starts and then REM dreams start. If one does a wake back to bed as you were doing or a more direct dream return one will rarely trigger REM muscle atonia or experience HI.

You fallen for the false claim that you need to experience SP to enter sleep lucidly or that one can trigger SP by just remaining motionless. If we assume that SP is REM Muscle Atonia (which I don't thinking SP a type of dream) it normally happen well into sleep and after the brain and body have been their most inactive. During dreams one's brain is in a theta wave state, to Wild one has to enter that brain wave state. One is closest to theta wave states when just waking up. It's ones brain that one has to put in a theta wave state while retaining consciousness. This is true of any WILD or even HI. PS I think I normally see HI because I normally fall asleep extremely quickly, usually in under 2 minutes and almost always in under 5 minutes.

Note: I could be wrong about WBTBs, as I don't practice that technique, though have done plenty of dream returns immediately upon waking up. I also usually experiece HI when going to sleep whether or not I've decided to WILD or just lose consciousness and sleep.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”