Can you dream that you are lucid?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
weHeardYou

Can you dream that you are lucid?

Postby weHeardYou » 14 Feb 2014 08:32

Last night I had a "lucid" dream that may or may not have been lucid. In my dream I woke up, hit snooze on my alarm clock, fell back asleep and began dreaming. At some point in this dream I realized I was dreaming and began to take control of it. In the dream I did things I would have done if I was really lucid, but it didn't seem to be as vivid as the 2 or 3 times I had been lucid before. The other times I had no doubt whatsoever that I was lucid.

My question is: Is it possible to dream that you are having a lucid dream? or was I really lucid?

Questions, comments please.

Peter

torakrubik

Re: Can you dream that you are lucid?

Postby torakrubik » 15 Feb 2014 02:45

It's possible and surprisingly common to dream of being lucid without actually being lucid. However:

weHeardYou wrote: At some point in this dream I realized I was dreaming

This is the definition of lucid dreaming, so I strongly suspect that this was a lucid dream, even if it wasn't as 'vivid' as before (contrary to popular belief, vividness and level of control do not in any way define a dream to be lucid, though there is often some correlation between these variables).

You mentioned that before, you were completely positive that you were lucid. There are, loosely, varying levels of lucidity. You can be slightly aware that you're dreaming, but not be aware enough to act upon this information, or you can be completely 100% sure that you're dreaming, or somewhere in-between. It's an analogue scale.

Hope this helps.
Dreaming is my drug

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Feb 2014 03:22

Torakubrik is right. This pertains to Hagart's thread too. I told him there is an article about this in the Lucidity Institute site. It covers theories about brain function during dreaming and lucid dreaming and a spectrum. I'll post the article tomorrow! ;-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Feb 2014 23:53

I wrote about this too, and compare it to watching a movie of events happening, knowing it's not happening for real, and there are no consequences, but for some reason the pieces of the puzzle don't fit and you don't get the Eureka moment and think "Ah! Ha! I can do anything".

It's almost lucid, but don't know if there's a name for it.

Maybe this is more related. I wrote this last August, but it still feels like yesterday:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13477

I just read it again and the comments, and "varying levels of awareness" (call it what you want by any name) came up back then too.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Feb 2014 14:31

weHeardYou wrote:Last night I had a "lucid" dream that may or may not have been lucid. In my dream I woke up, hit snooze on my alarm clock, fell back asleep and began dreaming. At some point in this dream I realized I was dreaming and began to take control of it. In the dream I did things I would have done if I was really lucid, but it didn't seem to be as vivid as the 2 or 3 times I had been lucid before. The other times I had no doubt whatsoever that I was lucid.

My question is: Is it possible to dream that you are having a lucid dream? or was I really lucid?

Questions, comments please.

Peter

You seem to have based that you couldnt have been lucid as your dream was less vivid, when in fact that isnt a way one can tell if one is lucid or not.

Ive had many lucid dreams in which werent at all vivid..in fact with some of my LD dreams they only partly come in to the point that not all my dream senses were even in them (if I drop out of the LD before all my senses are in the dream.. I still had a LD thou as I was aware I was elsewhere even if my dream site wasnt elsewhere etc).

I think that LDs may sometimes be less vivid too depending on the LD balance of waking consciousness and the subconsciousness.. if one is only slightly lucid, with the subconciousness at a stronger balance then the waking one.. the LD may be less vivid. I think to have a strong very aware, vivid LD we need about certain balance of the subconciousness and the conciousness (there is certainly a balance thing there which needs to be right to be able to have a LD). Once one has some experience, one can successfully play with this balance to keep the LDs right and going well. A dream can be deepened or the waking consciousnes can be brought in more.

Lucidity is to do about waking conscious awareness and if you are truely aware you are dreaming or not.

It thou is possible to non lucid dream that one is having a lucid dream.. Ive done that before. I was thou aware after the dream that I wasnt at all lucid for real in it and just dreamed of being lucid... my conscious aware self (waking consciousness) truely hadnt been in that dream .
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”