Discovering the name Lucid Dream

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Highlander

Discovering the name Lucid Dream

Postby Highlander » 01 Mar 2014 20:21

Most of us had lucid dreams before we knew that this had a name and that there were techniques and people studying it. Some of us thought that there was something wrong with us, some thought that this was a common thing for everyone. In a certain moment of our lives, we decided to know what was this thing we're experiencing.
What i ask you is: in what moment of your lives you decided to find out about your "unusual" dream experiences and how did you find out that this had a name: Lucid Dream?

I tell you my story:
I had the ability to control dreams since i was a teenager (like 30 years ago). I thought everyone had it. But talking to my brothers, they were amazed of my abilities that they didn't have. I called it "Controling my Dreams". I became curious, because i found out that not everyone could do this. So, just 4 or 5 years ago, i decided to browse the internet with the keywords "controlling our dreams" and "knowing you're dreaming" and found out the words "Lucid Dream" on the Wikipedia and in an imense list of articles and forums, books and all that.

HAGART

Re: Discovering the name Lucid Dream

Postby HAGART » 01 Mar 2014 23:10

I found a dream journal recently that I had written back in January 2004, and was curious to read them and see if any were lucid or not. (Back then I only recorded them for a month or two for the fun of it). It turns out 2 of them were lucid, and one of them I even remember all these years later. I simply wrote, "...then I knew I was dreaming...". So apparently even 10 years ago, it was something I was use to getting often, and it wasn't my first time.

In 2010, I was in a dream, walking around my house, and thought it was so real that I assumed I was sleep walking. I knew I was dreaming though, seeing things that aren't there, but felt like my actions had real consequences. I decided to prove it to myself and grabbed a pen and wrote, "I am conscious dreaming", on a piece of paper. When I tried to read it, it was a jumbled mess of symbols and confusing, but I thought after I wake up I'll see what I truly scribbled. It turned out to be just a dream, and I wasn't walking around in reality at all, so there was no paper to read.

I forget where I learned the term, 'Lucid Dreaming', but it must have been on the internet when I was researching it back in 2011. Before that, I used the term, "Conscious Dreaming", or simply wrote, "...then I knew It was a dream... yada.... yada.... yada....". Now I use the term, 'lucid', in my dream journal, but it goes to show that it doesn't matter what we call it, it still happens for many people, not just today, but even thousands of years ago too.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 01 Mar 2014 23:50

Hagart: what made you start to write your dreams?

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 02 Mar 2014 00:12

Have always seen HI and could always do dream returns. Occasionally had spontaneous Direct WILDs. Could practice dream control in normal dreams even before I could become lucid in them. Did not really understand what a WILD was until I spontaneously did an all night one. It took we three attempts to put my brain into the same sate it was when this occured. After that I did all night WILDS for two years and then got bored with Lucid dreaming and did them only occassionally and when they happened spontaneously and dream returns naturally to dreams I liked. Actually lheard of Lucid Dreaming about 8 years ago, well after I could do it at will.

Posting at this forum got me interested in Lucid Dreaming again about two years ago and doing DILDs brought fresh life to Lucid Dreaming - much more surprising than WILDs to me, making them not boring :D

Posting here and thinking about Lucid Dreaming got me to remember dreams I had before my "all night spontaneous WILD". I also remembered that when my dream Guide first started to appear to me, the dreams were spontaneous DILDS.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 02 Mar 2014 04:26

Highlander wrote:Hagart: what made you start to write your dreams?

Sometimes dreams are so memorable you just have to write them down. In January, 2004, I had moved into an apartment and started a college course (Chef Training), and I've noticed that big life changes tend to bring on vivid and memorable dreams, so I think that was why I did it. I had no intention to lucid dream, I just like to record my dreams for the fun of it, and for my own self to reflect on later in life.

Sometimes it feels like I lived a second life, a second day, while others sleep. So I just naturally had an interest in my dreams for years, (off and on), and if I don't write them down, they are forgotten. Right now I can recall some past dreams I had from who-knows-when, but they are just small flashes and small portions. I could live my whole life without a dream journal, as many do, but choose to have one for my own records.

(I've been lazy so far this year, but still record the most memorable ones I have. I plan to start again for the month of March. But I also have to remind myself that, not only is it too much work to record EVERY dream I have, but when will I find the time to read them all? It's OK to forget some dreams. I forget some details in waking life too!)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 02 Mar 2014 04:43

I've been having lucids at random all my life, and I heard the term used on a documentary years ago, can't remember the name. Then about 3 years ago I discovered I had synaesthesia and was researching it when I came across some parallels with lucid dreaming. I decided to research further and became heavily interested. I had several lucids in succession purely (I assume) from the new masses of information I was receiving. I found this website fairly quickly and found the articles really useful, so I joined up to the forum, and have been practising lucid dreaming ever since :)
Dreaming is my drug

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”