How do you describe the sensation of a tail to another LDer

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jacob46719

How do you describe the sensation of a tail to another LDer

Postby Jacob46719 » 06 Jul 2014 05:37

(...who has not experienced it themselves?)
It's hard to describe other than using vague adjectives like "really cool" because there's nothing to compare it to.
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

HAGART

Re: How do you describe the sensation of a tail to another L

Postby HAGART » 06 Jul 2014 07:53

Good question. I read many accounts from you but must say, I have never done that. (I would like to hear from others or just your own story)

For me, it's not a tail. I want to grow a trunk out of my forehead, and I'm not kidding around! I love outside the box ideas. (For me it's a fore-head-trunk, for you it's a tail. Same difference).

(this sounds weird and I'm sarcastic a lot, but I'm serious about this one)

FOREHEAD TRUNK! No laughing matter! If I do it, I'll be honest and tell you my results!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Jul 2014 10:30

Interesting because we all possess vestigial tails and lucid dreaming may allow us to stumble upon a fairly accurate sensation of what it is like to have a fully developed one comparable to the experience of our distant non-human ancestors.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Jul 2014 16:51

Yea, a tail is more feasible. Not only do we have the vestiges of a physical tail bone, and some nerve endings (we all know that area hurts when you fall on it), but I bet somewhere up in the attic of our minds, the true feeling of one exists somewhere too.

I haven't experimented with altering my body much (only removing arms and fingers like play-dough only to notice they grew back), but growing an extra appendage of any kind is a far out lucid dream goal, and certainly possible. And I bet a tail is far easier than an extra arm or leg since we have the basic blue prints for the propioception of one still lingering in our minds.

I can still imagine growing a trunk or tentacle from my forehead, but I doubt there would be any tactile sensations and it would just be a funny visual. But a tail.... I think it can become very realistic in a dream and I wanna try growing one myself now (scrap my forehead truck idea for now), and then use that tail to hang from a tree upside down like my monkey cousins. That would be a cool LD to share!

And to accomplish it, like most LD goals, don't over-think it, and just think you had one all along.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 06 Jul 2014 18:27

I once became an alligator/crocodile in a dream. Having a tail felt practical and good because you can use it to enhance your capabilities. ie. swim faster.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 06 Jul 2014 19:22

Worldenterer1 wrote:I once became an alligator/crocodile in a dream. Having a tail felt practical and good because you can use it to enhance your capabilities. ie. swim faster.

But that doesn't describe how it feels.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Jul 2014 20:26

Try and describe the colour RED to a blind person. ;)

I still want to see and experience a tail for myself, and then I will attempt to explain it, but I doubt I will have much luck either.

Some things are simply ineffable. Words are just the best tools we have to express ideas, but concepts and dream experiences are a language all their own.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Jul 2014 20:59

Hagart has just illustrated the whole thing really well. The topic is of great interest to me (not just tails but other unusual things that can be experienced in lucid dreams involving our anatomy). We can extend or alter our bodies in lucid dreams and such experiences can be accompanied by sensations which may or may not be accurate in relation to what it would really feel like were they to take place in the real world. The mind is guessing but how proficient is it at doing so? This is so weird! I love it! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Jul 2014 08:13

Good idea for a new topic, and makes me think,.... but going to bed now.

I have an Amoeba body in mind! (My my mind likes to stretch the limits and this vessel can't contain it!) ;)

(I say weird stuff before sleep, but I stand by it!)

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 07 Jul 2014 19:02

HAGART wrote:Try and describe the colour RED to a blind person.

yeah, impossible ._.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”