Sociopathic Behavior in Lucid Dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
deschainXIX

Sociopathic Behavior in Lucid Dreams

Postby deschainXIX » 09 Jul 2014 23:23

Lucid dreaming, as we all know, could serve many purposes in society and possibly even alleviate certain problems if it was a more mainstream and marketable product.

I'd like to propose another use for it. Many would agree that doing things in lucid dreams is just "as good" as doing it in reality, sometimes even better. It feels real. Recently there was a topic in which sociopaths, psychopaths and serial killers were brought into discussion. Suppose that people like this, who have been mentally maimed one way or another, were to be able to function in society by finding a harmless release in lucid dreams. They could kill dream characters rather than kill real people, and thus have an outlet that allows them to behave acceptably in society.

But suppose that everyone could find a release in lucid dreaming for their dark desires. Everyone has a monster inside them, a dark subconscious that has evil lurking under the layers. (If you don't agree with that, did "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding teach you nothing?) Would this be enough of a realistic release? Or would this only encourage one to behave even more badly in reality, just like how violent video games may or may not encourage more violent behavior in real life?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

nesgirl

Re: Sociopathic Behavior in Lucid Dreams

Postby nesgirl » 10 Jul 2014 01:01

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Jul 2014 01:10

Yeah, I don't doubt the moral righteousness of killing dream characters, but would it be realistic enough to be something to get off on? Killing people in multimedia platforms is not the same as killing people in reality, obviously.
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 10 Jul 2014 02:07

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 10 Jul 2014 03:46

I use to play Roller Coaster Tycoon and you can pick people up and drop them in the water and watch them drown and I actually found it amusing. In the second version you could place "No Entry" signs back to back so the stupid sims get stuck (unable to cross those two signs) and you gather a few thousand in one tile, on a pathway above water, and then demolish it and watch then all fall, releasing their balloons in the air. I thought it was hilarious!

But they are just pixels and it was a game. Sometimes lucid dreams are like games to me, and I mess with the 'sims', the mindless dream characters too. We all have a God-Complex.

Only when they talk to me and are sentient do I stop and listen and I've been surprised at times by what they say!

(but is it healthy or does it make a person more likely to act out these fantasies in real life?) For me, I'm harmless as a lamb in real life, but a social, even sexual, misfit in my dreams sometimes. (Keyword: SOMETIMES) I'm not even that bad in my dreams either! But I like to break the rules.... 8-)

But the main question is whether, or not, lucid dreams should be encouraged and taught in prison to violent offenders who were "mentally maimed". I SAY, YES! Or even before they live out their fantasies without disturbing anyone before it happens in real life and someone else gets hurt.

If we all lucid dreamed, this world would be a better place.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 10 Jul 2014 04:29

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:28, edited 2 times in total.
Goodbye forever...

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 10 Jul 2014 05:13

I played The SIMS over 10 years ago, and it was probably the first one. I like to create the houses, but must say, I also enjoyed toying with them! :twisted:

One unlucky sap gut stuck behind a chair for 3 days and died, and I laughed. (I'm not bad, and just thought it was bad AI) :D

To a sociopath, everyone in life is a sim, and only there to be used and abused. But if you give them a game or lucid dreams they can get their fix without harm.

(Where does that leave me? Maybe we're all a little twisted, but it's harmless fun and we need to look ourselves in the mirror before we start throwing stones at others from our glass houses)

Not condoning violent acts in real life, just thinking about the root cause, and maybe we are all guilty of indecent thought. Most of us just don't act out on it in real life. (I am certainly not on the side of serial killers and rapists, but instead of calling them monsters, think about what's going on in their head, and give them a harmless outlet for that.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 10 Jul 2014 06:07

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Jul 2014 15:34

Currently technology isn't good enough to capture the reality a lucid dream can. There is certainly a discernible difference between killing in a video game and killing dream characters. I played Sims 3 and it was an absolute blast trying to figure out how to kill your Sim, because the designers didn't let you kill them that easily so you had to methodically lower their will to live to like 0%, then block off all the exits to their house and burn it all down. (Jesus, that sounds sadistic :lol: ). Then there's a game called Grand Theft Auto V in which I just walk down the street shooting people down with assault rifles.
But none of those things are as realistic as a lucid dream. Even with the latest virtual reality simulators (like the Oculus Rift), it doesn't capture the immersion of actually seeing it with your own eyes.

As far as it being healthy to conduct your violent urges in lucid dreams ... I'm not sure. For a mentally-sound person (there are no mentally-sound people, but just for the sake of this argument lol) it would be. Because you could say that all of it is a product of your own mind, so it's not as if you're teaching yourself any new trick, like watching a violent movie would. But, then again, it is from your subconscious, which is separate to your regular consciousness.

But, yes, it should certainly be taught to serial killers, they would definitely get a kick out of it. (Although prison inmates aren't usually the quiet, thoughtful, lucid dreamer types, are they? :D )
Well said.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 10 Jul 2014 18:09

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:29, edited 3 times in total.
Goodbye forever...

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”