Why some people CAN'T lucid dream.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
KungFuPanther

Why some people CAN'T lucid dream.

Postby KungFuPanther » 15 Jul 2014 23:29

Everyone keeps telling me that anyone can lucid dream. I beg to differ. I'm KungFuPanther, and I have been attempting to lucid dream for over a year with only three brief, semi-lucid experiences. I believe that it has been made psychologically impossible for me to lucid dream. No matter how bad I want to, how many different systems I follow, nothing works. Feel free to study my brain under a microscope when I'm dead, because I wish this curse on no one. My endeavor here is to try and explain what prevents me from lucid dreaming so that I may help other beginners struggling with their own journey.

Every single day I feel like I"m tip-toeing across thin ice, being careful about what to say and what not to say. Almost every week I get in a fight with one (if not all) of my family members over "spiritual" matters that they bring up. They are totally convinced that, as Christians, lucid dreaming is a demonic practice. Although they have no knowledge of me doing this, I know where they stand after showing them movies like Inception, the Matrix, and them demonizing things that are likened unto meditation. They would rather distort the Bible to their fears of the unknown than listen to the clear voices of reason and science. Thus, I deeply desire to lucid dream but my sub-conscious obviously restricts me. I constantly have negatively themed dreams with the topics of running away from demonic-looking creatures, dying, being attacked, physically fighting family members (but always being overcome), and being hunted down by large masses of people in classic Frankenstein style.

Pretty neat, huh?

What is worse is that I have dreams about lucid dreams, in other words I"m talking to people about lucid dreaming but not realizing that I myself am in a dream. This is what makes my trail long and tiresome, eagerly desiring the concept of Lucid Dreams but never getting any success, instead only teased with the results. I believe that master lucid dreamers are either frauds, or like Rebecca who started this website, are holding out on us. Or maybe it just comes naturally for some people? Not all men are created equal, and that pains me to admit it. Some people are gifted, talented, and almost enough for us to qualify as superhuman. Others are just... wannabes.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments, or if you wish to know more details about my situation for analysis.
...You think that's air that you're breathing?

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

Karin

Re: Why some people CAN'T lucid dream.

Postby Karin » 16 Jul 2014 00:01

I am sorry, it must be very frustrating...

I can't really give advice, since it started spontaneously for me, but I can share this: my guess (and that's all it is), is that it will happen to you when you are ready, and when you are not so strongly focused on achieving it. The fact that you are so passionate about it tells me that you will eventually lucid dream. Who knows, maybe it will happen out of the blue, one day you completely forgot about your lucid dream goal. Kind of like couples who desperately try to get pregnant, and finally give up and adopt a child, only to find out two weeks after they have their adopted baby, that they spontaneously got pregnant. I know more than one example of that personally.

Other than that, all I can think of is to have a daily meditation practice (whatever form of it you like), but again, it should be done only if it brings you some positive feelings, not as a chore to do just for the goal of lucid dreaming. Lastly, if you pray, then pray for help in achieving lucid dreaming, and then let it in the hands of a higher power, so it takes the pressure off your shoulders.

Follow your excitement, with zero expectations as to what the outcome ought to be, and see what happens. ;)
Last edited by Karin on 16 Jul 2014 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Kman43759

Postby Kman43759 » 16 Jul 2014 00:55

What are all of the techniques you have been using?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Journey
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14621&p=39383#p39383
Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Forum ( IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM)

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 16 Jul 2014 01:22

I taught my niece and nephews how to Lucid Dream at least once (and one of my nephews is 3), don't say I am a fraud.

Want my advice? Try watching the TV in the middle of the night for about 5 hours without moving your body at all and see what happens. Let me just put it in this way: TV benefited me very much as a young child, and I depended on it very much for many years.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jul 2014 05:13

Karin wrote:I am sorry, it must be very frustrating...

I can't really give advice, since it started spontaneously for me, but I can share this: my guess (and that's all it is), is that it will happen to you when you are ready, and when you are not so strongly focused on achieving it. The fact that you are so passionate about it tells me that you will eventually lucid dream. Who knows, maybe it will happen out of the blue, one day you completely forgot about your lucid dream goal. Kind of like couples who desperately try to get pregnant, and finally give up and adopt a child, only to find out two weeks after they have their adopted baby, that they spontaneously got pregnant. I know more than one example of that personally.

Other than that, all I can think of is to have a daily meditation practice (whatever form of it you like), but again, it should be done only if it brings you some positive feelings, not as a chore to do just for the goal of lucid dreaming. Lastly, if you pray, then pray for help in achieving lucid dreaming, and then let it in the hands of a higher power, so it takes the pressure off your shoulders.

Follow your excitement, with zero expectations as to what the outcome ought to be, and see what happens. ;)

Thank you for your encouragement. I was very frustrated at the time but I want to make it clear, the goal of this thread is to find a cure for this lucid disability not just for me, but for everyone else as well.

I believe that this SSILD technique that I picked up last night (thanks to JonSnowLD) is similar to meditation, but other than that I have no idea how to do meditation correctly. I'll try praying later on I guess, I just fear this will be counter-productive.

This new method (in addition to the SSILD) is Neuronal Plasticity, or simply re-wiring your brain after a long time of developing bad habbits (link: http://www.dreamviews.com/general-lucid-discussion/135774-how-anyone-can-%91natural%92-lucid-dreamer-%96-neuronal-plasticity.html ). I think this is the secret that "natural" lucid dreamers possess. I'll have to dig deeper.

How long have you been lucid dreaming and how long did it take you?

Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's LD Forum (IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM)

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jul 2014 05:17

Kman43759 wrote:What are all of the techniques you have been using?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

I have tried the MILD technique with no success, WBTB with no success, WILD with no success (not surprising) and cannot do CAT because I do not have an alarm clock, cell phone, wristwatch, etc...

As of last night I am testing the SSILD and practicing this too: http://www.dreamviews.com/general-lucid-discussion/135774-how-anyone-can-%91natural%92-lucid-dreamer-%96-neuronal-plasticity.html Hopefully this will show some improvement in my problem.

How long have you been lucid dreaming and how long did it take you to learn?

KungFuPanther

Postby KungFuPanther » 16 Jul 2014 05:24

nesgirl wrote:I taught my niece and nephews how to Lucid Dream at least once (and one of my nephews is 3), don't say I am a fraud.

Want my advice? Try watching the TV in the middle of the night for about 5 hours without moving your body at all and see what happens. Let me just put it in this way: TV benefited me very much as a young child, and I depended on it very much for many years.

I'm not calling you a fraud, I just know that there are frauds out there. Don't take everything so personally. And, training a three year old to lucid dream is easy. Many people have a lucid dream in their life when they are that age.

First of all, I don't have a tv. Secondly, I live in a house of 5, so I can't really wake up in the middle of the night to do something like that. Third, I've been trying to stay away from tv because the amount of dreams I'm having in third person (where I forget that I exist) is becoming increasingly high and really don't help at all.

How long have you been lucid dreaming and how long did it take you to learn? How did you learn?

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 16 Jul 2014 06:09

KungFuPanther wrote:
nesgirl wrote:I taught my niece and nephews how to Lucid Dream at least once (and one of my nephews is 3), don't say I am a fraud.

I'm not calling you a fraud, I just know that there are frauds out there. Don't take everything so personally. And, training a three year old to lucid dream is easy. Many people have a lucid dream in their life when they are that age.

First of all, I don't have a tv. Secondly, I live in a house of 5, so I can't really wake up in the middle of the night to do something like that. Third, I've been trying to stay away from tv because the amount of dreams I'm having in third person (where I forget that I exist) is becoming increasingly high and really don't help at all.

How long have you been lucid dreaming and how long did it take you to learn? How did you learn?

Even using the TV in the main room works. You can just lay on the couch. Don't stay away from the TV, use the TV as your ally.

I've been Lucid Dreaming since I was a really young child. I was kind of a bit of a rebellious insomniac when I was really young, and ran around the house keeping everyone up. However, once I was placed in front of the TV on my back, after a few hours of focusing on that TV, keeping my body completely still, even though I didn't intend it, I managed to trigger my first Lucid Dream from it. And repeating of that I was able to trigger it to happen over and over. I slept in front of the TV triggering Lucid Dreams from it for many years when I was really young and really depended on that TV, but after a while, I learned how to do it using other methods.

Also another note: My parents told me they could tell if I had fallen asleep and said I would only do so for about an hour, because my eyes were open and I seemed awake and focused. However, they said when they were closed, I would be still (except the eyes) and they would take that as a signal that I had fallen asleep.
Goodbye forever...

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Jul 2014 06:21

You have every right to feel frustrated.
I know my family doesn't lucid dream and probably never will in a million years, but the difference is, they don't care. But you do, and I understand your frustration.

For me it occurred naturally, progressing over time due to my simple love for dreaming and remembering them. I think that brain plasticity and habit forming is what did it. However, it didn't really kick off until I was 31 and I'm 34 now. I don't know how old you are, but I am guessing you're a lot younger than 31. When I was in my teens I didn't lucid dream at all, so if you want to compare yourself to others and feel frustrated, keep in mind, when I was your age, it didn't happen for me either. (However I never tried either, and the root of all disappointment is expectation). Imagine where you will be when you are my age.... you may actually be better than me!

(And as for 3 year-olds lucid dreaming, it tends to come more naturally, and how would nesgirl even be able to verify it. Kids say the darndest things. I barely remember when I was three, so don't feel like that 3 year old is more advanced than you either). Just enjoy your own personal dreams, and remember that every night is a second day to live, lucid or not. And you will get to know yourself and have plenty of great stories to remember. The rest, in my opinion from my experience, happened over time and feel that brain plasticity, much like muscle memory, and habit forming, was the main reason.

I never heard of nesgirl's, TV technique, and everyone has their own. I certainly don't think it will work for the average person. But it worked for you, and that's good!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 16 Jul 2014 06:50

HAGART wrote:I never heard of nesgirl's, TV technique, and everyone has their own. I certainly don't think it will work for the average person. But it worked for you, and that's good!

Actually the TV technique in fact works. I can break it down for you and tell you how it in fact works.

I found this out: A person can sleep with their eyes open through any stage of sleep except REM. I've seen this feat accomplished a few times also in public

If this is true, then if one was to keep their body completely still, and only have their eyes open while watching the TV, it wouldn't matter whether thoughts were being artificially or naturally processed (your thoughts are being processed with the TV because you are syncing your thoughts with the TV), your mind will believe you are going through a stage of sleep, and will therefore treat it that way, so you should have no problem watching the TV. By tricking your body into thinking you are in a stage of sleep, your body and mind should attempt to go into REM sleep while watching the TV.
If you don't believe me, try it for yourself.
Goodbye forever...

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”