Help

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Blast169

Help

Postby Blast169 » 28 Aug 2014 12:08

I recently found out about lucid dreaming. I had a dream about 5 nights after I learned. I knew I was in a dream, but I couldn't change anything, almost like I was dreaming about lucid dreaming. I kept saying 'this is a dream' but that wouldn't work. Then I did the 'close your eyes and yell wake up thing' but that didn't work either. So I tried my last thing which was shaking uncontrollably and I woke up in my bed but it was still a dream. Then the next night I had a dream where I thought I was lucid, but it was more of a normal dream because I didn't know anything about lucid dreaming and apparently I thought using my hands was lucid dreaming... I then had a nightmare the next night. I had about 6 to 11 false awakenings. Each time I would wake up in my bed and move around. It was still night time and I would ask my parents if I was dreaming or not and they said yes. I listen to music while I sleep if that has to do with anything. Can someone please give me advice? I really want to lucid dream.

HAGART

Re: Help

Postby HAGART » 28 Aug 2014 17:49

Blast169 wrote:So I tried my last thing which was shaking uncontrollably and I woke up in my bed but it was still a dream.

If you hadn't been duped by the false awakening (which happens to me all the time, but not always), then you would have been lucid dreaming starting from your own bed and you can get up and walk around! You started out in a lucid dream with very little awareness and made it clear with your shaking. Some spin, some fall backwards, and I think your shaking had the same effect. They all have one thing in common: They move your body in the dream. That can make us remember our real body in real life, so it can easily become a false awakening while we are still dreaming. And in a false awakening your mind is much more alert and aware so the dream is far more vivid.

So you just have to get use to those false awakenings and do reality checks every time you wake up. I still forget sometimes, but whenever a lucid dream fades and I think I'm going to wake up, I try to remind myself that chances are it will be a false awakening and I can continue dreaming.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Blast169

Postby Blast169 » 29 Aug 2014 00:15

So now that I understand that, back to the other thing, was I dreaming about lucid dreaming?

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 29 Aug 2014 00:47

Your breathing in dreams is connected to your body's breathing. Maybe if you want to wake yourself up you can try holding your breath or breathing fast.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 30 Aug 2014 00:03

#1 were you lucid or not?
What in the dream made you think it was a dream? As you were trying to lucid dreams there's a strong chance you were just having a normal dream(s), if you can answer the "what made you..." question you were lucid.

#2 Music, TV or movies playing while you sleep can incubate what you dream about or more usually elements of your dreams.

#3 Dream control - one can have dream control in normal dreams or have no control in lucid dreams, this includes escaping sleep. Because you were having multiple false awakenings rather than just waking up you're dreams are likely extremely stable. It's also easy to get fascinated by a dream and not change anything, the majority of people have been trained to do this by watching TV and films. One can also lose dream control once you have it or only partially have it.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Blast169

Postby Blast169 » 30 Aug 2014 01:27

I dont think anything made me think It was a dream, its just that all of a sudden I said "this is a dream", All I can remember is saying that and trying to wake up.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”