Effect of Extraneous Stimuli on the Dream

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jackson

Effect of Extraneous Stimuli on the Dream

Postby Jackson » 30 Aug 2014 22:56

Hello. The title kind of explains itself so let me get right into this.

The other night I was dreaming and stayed asleep the entire night, not once waking up. I was sleeping outside, on a camping trip actually, and during the night, unbeknownst to me, a skunk was outside, and after I recorded my dreams, I realized that I had seen and smelt a skunk in my own dreams. Another night, I fell asleep in a movie theatre, watching a movie I had never seen. However, I did not realized I had fallen asleep. I fell asleep about 20 mins into the movie, and yet, I was able to recall precise events, sounds, and, what didn't seem strange to me at the time, smells, and other senses (touch, temperature etc.). The description of the movie that I gave matched very well with others who had stayed awake the whole movie. Of course, some details were off, some names, places and such. At the time I didn't really think it anything peculiar, but later I realized that I must have fallen asleep and, my eyes and ears still hearing the movie, caused me to dream about it, and my mind filled in the other sensations I was experiencing in the dream. And this is just one of many occurrences. I could rattle on for hours but I think that is sufficient evidence to lay a claim.

If what I believed happened really did happen, a whole world of possibilities could be opened. Incredibly lifelike virtual reality, studying and learning in your sleep for a test, even things like going "into" your favourite stories. And to top it all off, not that this really proves my point anymore, Before all this, before I had even an inkling of lucid dreaming, virtual reality and all that stuff, I had a dream of the latter of the two dreams above. The same night of that dream, it was the exact same scenario, only this time, I had a device that forced me into this state of virtual reality.

Anyway, I am sorry if it sounds like I am rambling; I am just very excited about this whole prospect. Feel free to post any thoughts, comments or questions you may have

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

nesgirl

Re: Effect of Extraneous Stimuli on the Dream

Postby nesgirl » 31 Aug 2014 00:25

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

taniaaust1

Re: Effect of Extraneous Stimuli on the Dream

Postby taniaaust1 » 31 Aug 2014 12:05

I had a horrific dream/nightmare this year (not a LD or I would of change it) when I fell asleep while watching a nazi war documentary. It then sent me into a vivid dream in which me and others were all lined up against a wall to be shot. The funny thing about this was when I woke up, I truely thought that part must of been in the documentary but when I then finished watching it, there was nothing like that in it.

Anyway, I suggest not to fall asleep while watching war movies.

Another time, I must of fallen asleep while watching a movie but didnt know (one of those times I was nodding on and off). Later on when discussing it with another, I found out we both had different story lines for it so I rewatched it, only then to find out it was completely different to how I'd seen it a few days earlier (well some parts were the same but there was all these additional parts I'd seen between the real parts of the movie)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”