Difference between astral projection and lucid dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
nesgirl

Re: Difference between astral projection and lucid dreaming?

Postby nesgirl » 20 Jan 2015 06:16

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 20 Jan 2015 15:02

Well, here we go again!

I'd like to know what exactly is a dream. Because, someone said in a previous post that the dreams are scientifically proved while astral projection is not. If you are the one and reading this, please inform me and the people about this proof (a link would be much appreciated). :) If you are someone who jumped across this accidentally and know anything about it, please do the same.

I personally didn't find anything that proves dreams as a fact. The only reason it is called fact is because anyone have experienced it at least once in their lives and because of that we accept it as one. Now, Astral Projection is something that you need to intend to do, because it does not happen so easily (of course there are some persons who do it without trying). Now, you see why dream is a "fact" and AP is not.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 20 Jan 2015 15:09

And yes, I do believe that there is a difference between LD and AP.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Jan 2015 17:25

So do I. An interpretive difference. ;-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Jan 2015 18:44

What is astral projection, I dont know the difference between a LD and an Astral projection so please help me as my experience tells me they are the same.

Now, Astral Projection is something that you need to intend to do

so you cant spontaneously astral project, how did the first person do it then
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 20 Jan 2015 21:20

Peter, you missed the part where I said "(of course there are some persons who do it without trying)".

~David Gerrold

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 20 Jan 2015 22:12

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Jan 2015 22:38

If you concede that some people astral project without trying, Desert, then you make the admission that intention isn't necessarily required for its induction. Your own observation in response to Peter's perfectly logical question makes your initial proposition oxymoronic and untenable as advice for people who wish to discover the phenomenon.

LaBerge once made an important distinction. In so many words, he pointed out that lucid dreaming is more advanced than astral projection or out-of-body experiences by the sheer fact that lucid dreamers know the score for sure, i.e. they know they are dreaming.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

hectorjose

Postby hectorjose » 20 Jan 2015 23:53

I have lucid dreamt hundreds of times, have astral projected only once. In astral projection, you are out of your body and in the room where your physical body is. You are literally floating above your body. I could not move very far from it however and felt like there was some sort of elastic feeling keeping me close to my physical. After I had been out for what felt like hours and hours, I consciously made a decision to merge back into my physical, at which point I floated down, and merged. I have only been able to achieve it once and even then, I seem constrained to how far I could move (which was not very far). The things I remember most about the experience was I felt like I was vertical even though it appeared I was horizontal, I felt like I had arms and legs that were floating by my side, I felt like I did not have a real grasp on the sense of time. When I merged back into my physical, I heard a loud continous sound in my ears that sounded like waves crashing on a beach, that got lighter, and lighter, and eventually disappeared. I have been trying to do this again for the past 15 years and have not been able to.

Lucid dreaming on the other hand, I get frequently and you are waking up in a dream world, not in your actual room close to your physical body. In lucid dreaming you also have a replica physical body but in astral projection, i felt my replica body was made of light, and it was not physical.

That is my experience to answer your initial question.
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 21 Jan 2015 00:32

I'm under the impression that astral projection is simply a dream in which one is aware of a tangible, temporal plane existing "beneath" oneself (and the mind projects a pseudo-realistic replication of the actual world), but one is not aware that one is dreaming--the observer seems to be under the impression that he or she is traversing some sort of astral plane. If there is a further criterion important for distinguishing this particular chunk of hypnagogic spasm from the others, I'm open to hearing it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”