Difference between astral projection and lucid dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Summerlander

Re: Difference between astral projection and lucid dreaming?

Postby Summerlander » 24 Jan 2015 21:52

Ah! Gotcha. I did say nine times out of ten but I was not referring to false awakenings per se. I was referring to the technique where you lucidly try to hold on to the dream world after experiencing the evanescence of a lucid dream. To do this, you need to grab the right moment whereby you treat the first impressions of a bed beneath your sleeping body as a hallucination and quickly get up. 9/10 what seems like a real sensation of you lying in bed is only phantom. If you do nothing, then you will fully disconnect from the dream world and the physical sensations become nothing more than sensory input from the external world.

If you act quickly, however real getting up feels will be a conscious re-entry into the dream world which often presents itself as an inaccurate replica of the real world. If the sensations cannot be distinguished from those of the physical, then the oneironaut may need confirmation that a re-entry was successful. We are really talking about the 9/10 in the DEILD context. Or LDEILD (Lucid Dream Exit Initiated Lucid Dream).

The FA is often thought of something that happens upon you, not something that you wish to induce. Anyway, the technique I refer to does not have the FA in mind as a goal (even if this may occasionally happen as a result). The goal is to try to lucidly re-enter the dream world after having perceived the apparent collapse of a lucid dream and the gradual emergence of the waking state.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 25 Jan 2015 00:11

I understand what you say now but what you said back then; "If you wake prematurely, the moment you begin to feel a bed beneath you just try to separate from the body (get up even if you think you are doing it physically). Nine times out of ten you are still in the dream world." is a FA.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Peter

Postby Peter » 25 Jan 2015 00:45

its not if it is a real awakening and the key is to try to find out, in a FA you will awaken and then think you are really awake and will not do a reality test. Summerlander is defining a key point and maybe best related to by very experienced dreamers. for the rest just do it and see and in time it will become obvious what the radiance is
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 25 Jan 2015 02:18

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 25 Jan 2015 02:36

What you are saying about the breathing sounds frightening, nesgirl. :|
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

nesgirl

Re: Difference between WILDs and lucid dreaming?

Postby nesgirl » 25 Jan 2015 03:09

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 26 Jan 2015 02:53

As Peter pointed out, FAs are typically characterised by the dreamer's ignorance besides realism of experience. What I was previously referring to is a different kettle of fish which, for the sake of being precise, I almost feel compelled to refer to them as pre-lucid dreams which quickly develop full-fledged lucidity.

In these pre-lucids (if we recall that by "lucid" we mean "knowing" that one is dreaming), the dreamer gets out of bed hoping that the surroundings represent the dream world. The dreamer remembers his/her intention to re-enter the dream world with waking consciousness. The dreamer possesses the suspicion of a detective which lacks in typical FAs (and if suspicion or a certain realisation feature in these, they tend to emerge late and often lead to awakenings).

In my induced pre-lucids, however, the dreamer is an oneironaut (already exploring). The oneironaut is not exactly being deceived by his perception if he wants to determine whether or not his re-entry into the dream world was successful. He is already "awake" in the dream world, and, once he makes his confirmation (using techniques such as the ones nesgirl mentioned) that it is indeed a dream, this certainty is what defines him as LUCID.

I apologise if I wasn't clear before or if I misled you in any way, DesertExplorer.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Jan 2015 12:04

Peter wrote:
@peter are you saying you can AP and LD... If that is the case (and your not lumping them together as one) then that is pretty cool and i'd like to know more... I have only been able to AP once...i would love to do it again!

That is my problem with definitions, I have two points of exit that invlove unbroken awareness Ie; watching myself going to sleep.

in the first instance I will do what I do, relax in certain ways and observe and I will get to the state of directly entering a lucid dream. This is into a place or time that is random although if I want to imagining the sensation of speed or moving into a tunnel will have me on a bike or car or running like mad and directly into the dream

The second is similar except that I will not enter a dream but I will rise, slip, slide of simply get up and walk away and I will walk around my house or across my room and outside. If I choose I will fly around my section and look about until I ask for a new place or take off and see where I go.

IF these body exits to my room are an astral projection then about half of 15 + events a month are astral projections.
I cant pick the difference in the two apart from one is directly into the dream and one will have me standing in my room looking at my sleeping body if I choose to look at it/me

Seriously a few thousand of these mixed events over a lot of years.

Keen to be corrected because if there is an experience that I have not had I will soon fix that if I can

You may be dreaming you are having astral projections, its hard for another to tell without certain other common things which often happen in LD without the person being aware of them which makes an experience more likely an OBE.

I find astral projections feel very slightly different but the difference if one has very vivid LDs in which one has full awareness and normal brain thinking in can be very slight and hard to tell ..but there is a subtle difference. (its impossible for me to describe it, it can be hard for me to pick up on at times).

I cant just go from one to the other eg if I tried to right now, I'd probably just LD I was having an OBE rather then actually astral projecting.. as what we think we create in our LDs.

It is possible to LD one is raising out of ones body and floating above it.

The only way for someone to know for sure if one isnt just dreaming if one cant tell the difference between an OBE and a LD (one cant go by just floating out of body! or appearing in their bedroom if one has been just thinking of this kind of thing hence likely to create a dream of that) , is to go and prove something wasnt just a dream, so by checking out things to find out if they were only dream creations or not.

Ask yourself how do you know you arent having LDs of having OBEs? I suggest to try to prove to yourself if there is reality behind the experience or not eg if you go for a astral walk down your street, check out all your neighbours cars and exactly where they are parked.. who's home and who isnt..

strange cars present? try to get number plate if so.. then bring yourself out of it and go for a physical walk and see if what you saw was true. (anything which dont fit eg strange car write it down just in case you saw something in the future instead of current, it may made sense later. You may of seen the car the neighbour will buy next week).

Aim to be seeing the NOW moment (this will help the astral focus as otherwise the past or the future can confuse the result. Like remote viewing, astral projection can be targeted by what you think so can be made more precise in a time sense).

Im not going to say you cant be having OBEs but I know for myself, I cant go from one to another or I start dreaming Im having OBEs instead of dreaming them. One needs ot be able to aim for a certain state to get into one or the other as the states are so close to each other that I find it too hard to be able to be doing both.. I have to choose long term to be working on one or another .. maybe thou there are some who can swap between and not just go dreaming about having OBEs.

I hope sooner or later everyone has a clear OBE in which they are able to prove to oneself that it couldnt have been a LD.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 26 Jan 2015 13:28

I agree with testing things out for sure. If one is convinced that they are having a real OOBE, by all means try to do what Monroe claims to have done.

I have also had dreams that duped me into thinking that "astral projection is real after all" which were quicklu followed by false awakenings where my abode was infested with poltergeists and my wife accusing me of having opened a Pandora's box. Then I wake up and I'm back to my sceptical self. Those were definitely just dreams and false awakenings... not lucid dreaming.

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 26 Jan 2015 16:30

with the proof being able to find some evidence that is solid in the posts I have read over the last 5 years I dont know of anyone that has been able to gain solid evidence that they are really walking around the real world in the OBE state.
hundreds try and get close but always its just not quite right
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”