Hypnogogic State

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Finch_Linus

Hypnogogic State

Postby Finch_Linus » 03 Oct 2014 16:06

I am having a very frequent and rare occurrence; I do not know whether I am dreaming or awake. My problem involves the hypnogogic state. I wake up at the end of every REM Cycle (or so I think) and then every time I close my eyes I start to feel vibrations, feel like I'm floating and see funny shapes (and sometimes noises). This happens literally seconds after I close my eyes after waking up. This can't really be the hypnogogic state, can it -- after only a few seconds of waking up? I did a reality check and it seems that I was awake but I just don't know how this hypnogogic state came on so quickly?

Peter

Re: Hypnogogic State

Postby Peter » 03 Oct 2014 18:16

You are in the borderland between waking and dreaming and experiencing a little of each. Just relax and let yourself get taken to the dream. Some people try very hard to get to where you are and its just on the edge of being lucid or OBE
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 04 Oct 2014 00:53

Obnoxious pedantry first, what you're experiencing is hypnopomic images (happen after waking) vs hypnagogic (before entry into sleep) or collectively hynagogia.

Yes, they happen or can happen as soon as one closes ones eyes and sometimes one can return instantly to the same hypnagogia if one closes ones eyes again after opening them. You should be able to do dream returns with no problem if one tries. They can also happen spontaneously when one is awake, I got them spontaneously when praying or meditating and sometimes while closing my eyes and trying to imagine something to draw. I was also tormented by demonic eyes most nights before I fell asleep (back when I was a Christian), one can also have hypnopomia that seem to be coming from the real world when one is dreaming while sleeping.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 06 Oct 2014 17:39

Your experiencing vibrations right after you close for eyes because first off your very tired and secondly, you are most likely reentering your REM stage immediately after you close your eyes. Hence the vibrational phase which is the awareness of the transition of consciousness from wake to sleep, some people feel the vibrations mildly, others say the vibrations are very intense. Mine when they happened to me and still do happen are very intense like my whole body is shaking. Don't listen to these people who say they saw demonic eyes and crap its just said to scare you, and it happened to them because they were fearfull during the hypnogic state. ( whichh isnt suprising because if your scared in a normal dream generally it turns into a nightmare but if your happy in a dream generally its a happy dream experience)Think of happy thoughts when you feel the vibrations and you can have a very nice lucid dream. Don't fear it just go with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 07 Oct 2014 03:11

Your experiencing vibrations right after you close for eyes because first off your very tired and secondly, you are most likely reentering your REM stage immediately after you close your eyes. Hence the vibrational phase which is the awareness of the transition of consciousness from wake to sleep, some people feel the vibrations mildly, others say the vibrations are very intense. Mine when they happened to me and still do happen are very intense like my whole body is shaking.

The "vibrational stage" is no such thing. At best such a state is itself hypnagogic. REM muscle atonia does not start in normal sleep until after Delta sleep (which is the sleep in which both the body and brain are essentially off), Anyone normally has been asleep for a long time before RMA kicks in. It is in no way a "transitional stage" between being awake and sleep. Combined with the other effects the original poster is just experiencing hypnagogia. RMA is the release of two chemicals into the nervous system, the "vibrational stage" is just a dream experience inspired by RMA.

Don't listen to these people who say they saw demonic eyes and crap its just said to scare you, and it happened to them because they were fearfull during the hypnogic state. ( whichh isnt suprising because if your scared in a normal dream generally it turns into a nightmare but if your happy in a dream generally its a happy dream experience)Think of happy thoughts when you feel the vibrations and you can have a very nice lucid dream. Don't fear it just go with it.

This is also incorrect. What one experiences as hypnagogic images has a great deal to do with what you incubated in the hour or so before sleep. Dreams and Nightmares always alternate with each other and have nothing to do with what you're feeling at any moment in a dream. Doing dream returns/ the wake back to bed technique one experiences only very limited WILDs (wake initiated lucid dreams) and never experiences the whole range of the sleep dream process - thus one can make the errors you have. Once also does not have to go through hypnopomia when doing a dream return one can enter directly back into the dream ( ones brain is very close to the brain wave state one was in just before waking up and often one has not really woken up; just thinks one has).
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”