Suffocation During S.P

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
KylePK

Suffocation During S.P

Postby KylePK » 19 Oct 2014 01:15

I haven't been active on here in a long time, nor have I posted anything in a long time. I haven't been actively trying to lucid dream or go out of body for a long while either, until recently. I've had a few interesting experiences that led me to believe that revisting OBE and Lucid Dream attempts could be fruitful, so I am trying to get back on the horse.

The issue I had last night is that while my body fell into one of the stronger sleep paralysis bouts that I have ever had, I had the oh so famous sensation of a heavy weight on my chest. Knowing all too well about this, I thought I could mentally ovecome it, but I could not. My breathing became short, I struggled for each breath. I could have broken the sleep paralysis, it's never out of my control, but I wanted to succeed in going out of body or lucid dreaming, so I tried to stick it out. But this feeling of suffocation is so real that it hinders me from focusing on really anything else. I managed to do better at probing my awareness about the room, in a pure visualization of the mind, but could not seperate from my body. I didn't experience any vibrations this time as I used to frequently in the past, but the issue of seperating is still my main struggle.

Any tips from people who have overcome this?

I'm thinking maybe elevating my head while I try to induce these states? Laying on my back has always served me well but if its giving me the breathing issue than I should find another way.

Thanks in advance!
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

taniaaust1

Re: Suffocation During S.P

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Oct 2014 13:26

Seeing you are trying to have a lucid dream and not have an OBE, you do not have to even think about body separation, when you go into the right state for dreaming, your dream self will find itself in a body somewhere anyway. So let go of that focus.

I have a special pillow that I love to use for lucid dreaming.. its specially shaped so that its humped under my neck so when Im on my back, it helps keep my airway freer. Both sides of it are humped actually to different degrees of the hump.. so one small hump I use for sleeping on my side while larger hump, for doing LD on my back.

Another thing you could try and this works well for me when Im getting suffocating feeling in a LD or while partly in a LD state, is I imagine I have an oxygen tank on me and imagine Ive got an oxgen mask on. (much of your suffocation you are feeling may be coming from starting to go into a dream state, so try to use a thought like I just suggested to get yourself over the issue).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

KylePK

Re: Suffocation During S.P

Postby KylePK » 21 Oct 2014 04:07

Thanks for the tips! Although I've never found myself naturally entering a lucid dream in the way you described. It's not so much that I focus on a bodily separation as much as a shifting of awareness. The shift of awareness is something that for some reason I have never been able to accomplish. And now the suffocation issue is hindering that process even more so. Often times I would feel I had missed the opportunity to separate, as if I had done something wrong or missed a step. However it literally just feels to me that my awareness is locked down and I am not allowed to shift into a different state of being, whether it be OBE or Lucid Dream.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”