Has RC ever failed in your experience?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
DesertExplorer

Has RC ever failed in your experience?

Postby DesertExplorer » 13 Jan 2015 14:15

I had this last dream that I went to a store, for something to buy and when I was starting to go home I thought that I was probably dreaming. As I was walking home, I pressed my sides with my thumb and felt pain. So, I thought that I wasn't dreaming. And then I tried to float and did it for a second, but I was still telling to myself that it wasn't a dream! My RC betrayed me, but I learned my lesson. I will not go ever again lucid without trying two RC at least and question my reality.

Has RC ever failed in your dreams?
Last edited by DesertExplorer on 14 Jan 2015 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

MercyStrange

Re: Has RC ever failed in your experience?

Postby MercyStrange » 13 Jan 2015 23:52

Yep. Ever since my first couple of LD's, Numbers never change for me. I used to use numbers, letters, etc. as a RC but it stopped working. Light switches work normally, and my reflection is normal in dreams as well, so those are all reality checks that don't work for me. Kind of inconvenient actually, but oh well xD
"For a Dreamer, Night's The Only Time of Day."

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 14 Jan 2015 01:07

What do you use now?
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

MercyStrange

Postby MercyStrange » 14 Jan 2015 16:14

I've tried quite a few that seem to work well:
The one where you pinch your nose and try to breath. This one for some reason, makes me 'imagine' myself while I'm sleeping. Like, When i pinch my nose in my dream, it makes me 'see' my self sleeping and breathing normally.
The one where you try to do something that wouldn't work in real life(floating, pushing your finger through a surface/your hand, etc.)

Mainly, when I have DILD's i become aware because of something being off. I started looking for details in my surroundings to tell me if I'm dreaming, like.... for example if I have a dream that I'm in the middle of a city at night, I'll know I'm dreaming because I don't go into cities at night. Another words, I started doing reality checks, by asking myself what i was doing beforehand, and if I'm in the right place(and searching for details.)
That one takes time, but after only a few months it's worked very well for me.

Other than that, RC's don't work for me... Even the fingers one doesn't work anymore, and that's how i first became Lucid xD
"For a Dreamer, Night's The Only Time of Day."

hectorjose

Postby hectorjose » 15 Jan 2015 19:07

@desertexplorer Yes, it just happened to me a couple weeks ago (An RC failed me....this was the only time that has happened to me). To describe my reality check, it is usually the same method. When I become aware in a dream and initially have feelings of being confused whether I'm dreaming or actually awake, I always look for a clock (on a few occasions I looked at my wrist watch). I notice the time it says, then I look away (turning my head completely away from the clock) then quickly look back at the time again. If the time has drastically changed, I know I am lucid and it's off to the races with my lucid dream adventures. Usually the time has drastically changed (It never seems to be a digital clock either, its one that has the hour and minute hands) like it will read 2:00 but when I look away and look back at it, it will read 7:00 (just the fact that it's changed lets me know I'm lucid dreaming). Sometimes the clock does not seem to change all that much and I end up doing the RC like 2 or 3 times. The first time might say 3:00 then looking again it might say 3:10...still not convinced I do the check again and it might say 4:05....still not convinced I do the check again and it reads 6:00....I know I am fully lucid at that point (I usually do 1 or 2 checks of the clock but on a few occasions I've done like 3 or 4 just to make sure.

Now to the one time the RC failed me....

I was dreaming (not lucid) and I am suppose to pick up my friend after work to go get something to eat. It is a good friend of mine (and also someone I've had a little crush on). I drive to her house and pick her up and although in the dream I don't remember being at work, I seem to know that I had gotten out of work and it is sometime in the late afternoon. When I pick her up, we are driving to the restaurant, and I am enjoying myself because she seems to be sitting very close to me. We get to the restaurant and go find a table...as we are at the table we order a couple sodas and are waiting for our food. Somehow, she accidentally spills the soda and a worker comes out to clean it up. We go to find another table and while she is looking for another table for us to sit, I start to walk up to the counter to check on our order. As I am walking there, I notice a clock on the wall near the counter and stop for a moment. It suddenly occurs to me that this is possibly a lucid dream but to be sure, I better do my usual test (RC). I look at the clock and it reads 4:30...I look away and then look back at it...it still reads 4:30. I feel a little confused but also tell myself, yea that is about right, its after work (I sometimes get off at 4pm) and that should be about the right time. I do the RC again, and once again the clock reads 4:30. Now I am thinking to myself, Ok maybe I'm awake (in waking life) so I do the RC one last time and again on the third look, it says 4:30 again. I decide I am not lucid and continue in the regular dream (non-lucid).... I get the food go eat with her, chit chat a bit and that's all I really remember. When I wake up in bed, I am feeling a little disappointed because although I can remember the dream pretty clearly, it was not a lucid dream...(even the RC's seemed like a memory of a dream and not actual lucid moments). I figure that since I did the RC's I must have been somewhat aware but the whole experience felt more like a non-lucid dream. It was disappointing because here was a woman that I have liked for a long time in my dream and had that clock changed, I have absolutely no doubt that I would have become fully lucid. It would have been awesome to have done so in that environment!

I have done hundreds of this reality check over the years and of all those times, this was the only time it failed me. I thought about this for awhile and my conclusion is that I "expected" the time to be sometime after work so every time I did the RC, it was roughly the time I expected it to be. The other 99.9% successful times of doing this, I had no expectation of time, i simply wanted to see if it changed when I did the RC. Its just a bummer that the one time it failed, it would have been an awesome scene....instead I just woke up like it had been a non-lucid dream.

I'm glad you initially asked this question because I had no intention of sharing this experience until I saw your post! very cool :)
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 16 Jan 2015 11:59

I dreamed my car was on fire so i started running away and i literally said to myself "this has to be a dream" so i pushed my fingers into palm and they didn't go straight through so, it failed :/ it was a cool dream though :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Jan 2015 07:46

hectorjose wrote: I have done hundreds of this reality check over the years and of all those times, this was the only time it failed me. I thought about this for awhile and my conclusion is that I "expected" the time to be sometime after work so every time I did the RC, it was roughly the time I expected it to be. The other 99.9% successful times of doing this, I had no expectation of time, i simply wanted to see if it changed when I did the RC.

That is exactly why this check failed due to your expectation of what the time would be. When one does ANY reality check, one should be in the frame of thinking of seeing something abnormal appear eg in this case it would be holding the thought and having the expectation of the time greatly changing but in this case the dream conformed to your thinking it was after work, so impacting on the time.

I think this kind of reality check would still be fine for you to do as long as you dont hold that thinking which stopped this reality check of working.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Jan 2015 08:09

DesertExplorer wrote:I had this last dream that I went to a store, for something to buy and when I was starting to go home I thought that I was probably dreaming. As I was walking home, I pressed my sides with my thumb and felt pain. So, I thought that I wasn't dreaming. And then I tried to float and did it for a second, but I was still telling to myself that it wasn't a dream! My RC betrayed me, but I learned my lesson. I will not go ever again lucid without trying two RC at least and question my reality.

Has RC ever failed in your dreams?

I think most have had a failed reality check at some time. If I did that one with pressing sides of my thumb, that one would fail me as I can intensively feel pain in my dreams. I did the one in which you block your nose and then try to breath once and that failed.. I couldnt breath in my dream so ended up convincing myself the dream was real.

Sounds like you had so convinced yourself that you couldnt be dreaming due to your first failed reality check (you seem to have held the belief that reality checks always worked and I think that threw you off with things), it then overrode your waking awareness even your floating experience.

If you tried floating as a reality check, you should of cleared your mind a bit first and done the checking in a more genuine way of "maybe Im dreaming so will do another check". You really need to still be open to the possibility you are dreaming!. Im thinking you did the second check half heartively, already convinced by the first one that you werent dreaming.

That float check may be still a good reality check for you but you need to do it in the right frame of mind.. any reality check may fail if not in right frame of mind and if not "seriously" considering, "this may be a dream".

but I learned my lesson. I will not go ever again lucid without trying two RC at least and question my reality.

I suggest in your case, to completely avoid reality checks involving pain. Also telling yourself that you will always do 2 reality checks could be a bad thing to do.. what Ive seen many do is they tell themselves they will always do 2 or 3 reality checks ...they do the first check and get results which do tell them its a dream .. but cause they've been programming themselves into "I must do more then one check" and cause they previously planned to do two, they do a second anyway.

Choosing not to believe what they got the first time which told them "dream" .. seems to often backfire when followed up by another test as Ive seen second tests when done in this situation often fail in people.

Better to tell yourself if you do a reality check in which it shows you are dreaming.. believe it.. and go with it.. dont keep questioning. Get in your head a reality check showing dream.. means dream!! rather then thoughts of "I need to do two checks as one cant trust things".. which is programming to lead to failure if first test did happen to work well. its programing yourself not to trust yourself and will lead to confused results.

Two reality checks are only needed if the first didnt show a dream outcome, then its good to do 2 or even 3 IF NEEDED. (I suggest not to have set rules when working with dream things as situations can be different).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”