LD Tips: How do you all STAY lucid?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HuSsh

LD Tips: How do you all STAY lucid?

Postby HuSsh » 21 Jan 2015 11:01

O-TAY Some tips needed! So, I deliberately "astral projected" into an OBE / Lucid dream again last night from a waking state. Went through all the typical stuff, inducing sleep paralysis then passing through the frequency veil... Once i popped out of body, I left the room (staying calm) then turned back to check on myself & saw myself sleeping on the bed, so quickly turned and snuck away to the front door for fear of waking my physical self in the bed! (lol). I tried to pass through the front door but it was very real & solid to the touch yet i still couldn't open it ... not long after mulling about & trying to leave /transport myself elsewhere (out of the house) I lost lucidity & it just turned into another typical vivid long & elaborate dream once I turned, scenes changed and I began interacting with dream people. So the million dollar questions for me on tonight's adventure would be... How to REMAIN lucid once scene's change? O_o Anyone??? :geek:
Zoom IN / OUT & it's all the same. We appear separate, tho in fact all 1. Many pieces that make up the whole. 1 drop in a vast ocean. Individual cells in 1 part of 1 cosmic body. Born of the same star-dust. Each of us the universe perceiving itself.

HuSsh

Re: LD Tips: How do you all STAY lucid?

Postby HuSsh » 21 Jan 2015 11:14

uh....aside from perpetual reality checks. :mrgreen: my goal is to keep the lucidity going rather than loose & have to regain it constantly. Is it even possible to remain lucid beginning to end from a waking state? I figure definitely YES, but Have any of you ever done it? Or do y'all also always eventually end up falling out of lucidity at some point later on as well?
Zoom IN / OUT & it's all the same. We appear separate, tho in fact all 1. Many pieces that make up the whole. 1 drop in a vast ocean. Individual cells in 1 part of 1 cosmic body. Born of the same star-dust. Each of us the universe perceiving itself.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 21 Jan 2015 11:32

I expanded lucidity from seconds to minutes with rubbing my hands. It's a very useful technique. But, I'm afraid that at the beginning you need to do it whenever you feel that lucidity starts to fade away. The good news are that the more you do it, the less you will need it. The frequency of that technique will drop as you are progressing and don't need it so much. But maybe this is not true for everyone. Wait for someone else to confirm what I said.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

hectorjose

Postby hectorjose » 22 Jan 2015 19:53

I also rub my hands together as my preferred technique...as it has worked in the past. There are times where the lucid dream stabilizes and lasts what feels like a couple minutes more and then I have had times where it seems to last for what feels like 15 to 20 minutes more.

I also sometimes start to run when I feel the lucidity starting to fade...this hasn't worked as well as rubbing my hands together, but sometimes has stabilized the lucid dream a bit.

Lastly, there are times when I feel the lucidity fading and know that I'm about to wake up... I actually allow the lucidity to fade without trying to stop it, and then find myself waking up in bed. I quickly take notice of the position I'm in (to make sure my hand isn't asleep or that I don't need to use the restroom... or something like that) and if I'm not waking up for a reason like that, I do not move an inch (sometimes not even opening my eyes) and in my mind I visualize the lucid dream scene I had just been in. I would say over the years that 1 out of 4 times of doing this...I suddenly slip back into the lucid dream scene that I had been in before waking...and continue my lucid adventure (some people call this WILD...Wake Induced Lucid Dream) but I just learned it on my own without ever having heard of WILD lol. The first time of experiencing this, was quite by accident. I had been lucid walking down a busy street and suddenly felt the lucidity ending...I heard cars driving by but could no longer see them, as the scene started to quickly fade. I woke up in bed feeling still pretty groggy and closed my eyes and thought about the sound of cars I had heard seconds before...and then next thing I know I am standing back on the street I was on in the Lucid dream prior to waking up. I was a little surprised by this as it felt like I just "slipped" back into the lucid scene but without a break in consciousness. Through the years I have done this again and again and probably should practice it more to get better at it.

Anyways that last paragraph I think fits into your question about how to prolong a lucid dream :) because the one I described where I found myself back on the street, the lucid dream continued and ended up being a pretty long one!
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 22 Jan 2015 20:22

Interesting! I will try it, too. It seems that whenever I wake up from a lucid dream, I just feel disappointed and get off the bed.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 23 Jan 2015 11:52

I find keeping active helps, just try not to get excited too much.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Jan 2015 12:03

Jack Reacher wrote:I find keeping active helps, just try not to get excited too much.

And not try to fall off a plane without parachute, uh?

~David Gerrold

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Jan 2015 12:34

hectorjose wrote:I also rub my hands together as my preferred technique...as it has worked in the past. There are times where the lucid dream stabilizes and lasts what feels like a couple minutes more and then I have had times where it seems to last for what feels like 15 to 20 minutes more.

I also sometimes start to run when I feel the lucidity starting to fade...this hasn't worked as well as rubbing my hands together, but sometimes has stabilized the lucid dream a bit.

Lastly, there are times when I feel the lucidity fading and know that I'm about to wake up... I actually allow the lucidity to fade without trying to stop it, and then find myself waking up in bed. I quickly take notice of the position I'm in (to make sure my hand isn't asleep or that I don't need to use the restroom... or something like that) and if I'm not waking up for a reason like that, I do not move an inch (sometimes not even opening my eyes) and in my mind I visualize the lucid dream scene I had just been in. I would say over the years that 1 out of 4 times of doing this...I suddenly slip back into the lucid dream scene that I had been in before waking...and continue my lucid adventure (some people call this WILD...Wake Induced Lucid Dream) but I just learned it on my own without ever having heard of WILD lol!

I suggest to take action before you find yourself completely dropped out. I suggest to think of it like time travel and when you feel like you are going to wake up, think back to the point where you were very strong in the LD and imagine being back at that point, imagine being back in that setting of that time and how you felt then. Its like taking one back into the LD once awake but one can do that before one gets to that point (unless there is a reason why your body is wanting to wake).

I too have taught myself many of the LDs techiques before I'd read about them just by experimenting or experiencing things myself.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Jan 2015 12:51

HuSsh wrote:uh....aside from perpetual reality checks. :mrgreen: my goal is to keep the lucidity going rather than loose & have to regain it constantly. Is it even possible to remain lucid beginning to end from a waking state? I figure definitely YES, but Have any of you ever done it? Or do y'all also always eventually end up falling out of lucidity at some point later on as well?

Yes possible, I often manage to control my LDs.

I do also thou, much of the time wake myself up from my LD when Ive got to a point I want to do that eg to make sure I remember the whole thing if Ive had a long LD (some of my LDs seem to go for over 24hrs) or been dream jumping to several different scenes/dreams in the LD (by about the third LD in a row, I'll usually choose to wake myself up so I dont forgot the first one.. I usually do at that point) or I wake myself up there is complex details I wish to make sure I wont forget eg if Ive got a complex name or address of DC I want to check out in real life.

If you get to the point where you keep dazing out and loosing consciousness and know you are going to loose your LD (I find I can get tired in the LD after working hard to stay at right balance to keep extending an LD over and over without loosing it), best at that point probably to wake yourself up and write it down (or you may end up forgetting the whole thing by morning). Try to last longer next time.

The trick is to balance yourself in the right state so you can stay there eg if you start finding you are starting to daze out eg lost lucidity even just for a moment .. means you need to work on waking yourself up mentally more eg think about your real life for a bit and use your waking consciousness more in the LD... add some number up etc. Use your waking mind a bit to bring a good normal awareness level back. Remind yourself who you are and that you are dreaming.

or if you doing the opposite and getting too close to waking up.. you need to take yourself deeper into the dream eg playing along with it a bit more can take one deeper into it or using stabilising techniques eg rubbing hards, feeling stuff in your dreams or immersing oneself in it more.

The most dream jumps Ive done while still keeping lucid is I think 4 .. 4 different LDs running one after the next (I wasnt purposely changing the dreams, just when one dream ends another starts... sometimes it may not be an instant start but a lull point between the two.. or a nothing point or more commonly I will just suddenly find myself in a different dream after spending some time in one).

If you fall out of complete lucidity, just try to immediately reenter into the dream you were having again. Its great practice for WILD technique and often does work well if one tries immediately on a drop out.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

hectorjose

Postby hectorjose » 27 Jan 2015 00:53

@taniaaust1 thank you for the insight and suggestion...I will definitely give it a try. I always look forward to having new experiments in mind to try out the next time i find myself lucid.

I went lucid the other night......It started with a non-lucid dream where I am walking in a shopping mall located in Hong Kong (i've never been to hong kong in waking life lol). I'm walking with my sister and her friend. We decide to leave the mall and find the exit and are walking outside... I notice other people around me and as I'm looking at the buildings (we seemed to be heading back to our car in a parking garage), I suddenly realize that my sister and her friend are nowhere in sight. I get nervous because I've never been to hong kong and I seem to know that the cell phone I'm carrying is very low on battery. I start thinking that if I don't find my sister, I'm screwed. I start looking carefully at all the buildings trying to recognize any of them as the place we had parked (this is all non-lucid still). As I am walking around looking for my sister, the dream ends and I wake up in bed. I keep my eyes closed and do not move a muscle. I start thinking about the scene I had been in, how the scenary looked, and how I felt a bit of anxiety getting lost in Hong Kong. Less than a minute later, I am fully conscious and standing in the scene I had dreamt about... but this time I am fully lucid (and the anxiety is gone and replaced with satisfaction and awe). I start running along the sidewalk and after a few moments, I see my sister and her friend across the street, coming out of a building. They both wave to me and call me over. I run across the busy street (not caring if I got hit because after all, I'm lucid now) and I am now facing them. I take a good look at my sister's friend, she looks about 10 years older than me, has long brown hair and eyes, is wearing blue jeans, and even though she is older, I find myself attracted to her. My sister walks off like she expects us to follow her, but instead I stand in front of her friend and began to hug her. I don't know why but I said the most natural thing I could think of at that moment, "Would you like to go out for some drinks with me tonight...." She smiles and so I kiss her. I feel the lucidity rapidly start to end, and I am back in bed. This time I try to think of the scene again....but do not go back into it and instead, just lay awake in bed.

This was the first time that I woke up from a non-lucid dream, and went back into the exact same scene and scenario, fully lucid. Very interesting experience. I usually go from lucid, to waking up, to lucid again. But this was a first, very cool to know that it was possible! 8-)
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly. Soon I awoke, and now I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
― Chuang-Tzu

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”