What's the safest reality check?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.

What's the safest reality check?

Postby Denmonation » 06 Jun 2012 06:44

I've heard about people doing RCs in dreams and it not working. What reality checks are most likely to work during dreams? I've heard of people saying that telekinetic powers and pushing one hand through the other sometimes don't work even when done in dreams. I'd bet re-reading text and looking at digital clocks works best, but wanted to know what others thought.

Re: What's the safest reality check?

Postby jamiealexander » 06 Jun 2012 21:07

I'd go with anything that can only fail in the dream, so your DW and reading examples sound good.

Postby Ryan » 06 Jun 2012 23:41

Well, basically... I've found that, at least with me, the only time I *EVER* fail a reality check is when I haven't stopped what I'm doing and focusing ENTIRELY upon the reality check test.

Perhaps you're doing the same with your tests? You really need to stop, focus your mind towards something around you, or on you... and then begin the test. My usual test, that hasn't failed yet is really simple... just looking at my hands. As I look at them, they begin to melt. :)
For more information, please visit my website
Or join my forums!

Postby Summerlander » 07 Jun 2012 13:19

This is an excerpt from Michael Raduga's School of Out-of-Body Travel: A Practical Guidebook in regards to the "hyper-concentration" method:

"Since the cessation of the phase experience may be simulated and no different in terms of perception from a real exit, differences between the physical world and the phase world must be actively discerned. In other words, a practitioner must know how to determine whether a genuine phase exit has occurred. At present, only one experiment is known almost to guarantee an accurate result. The phase space cannot withstand prolonged close visual attention to the minute details of objects. Within several seconds of acute examination, shapes begin to distort, objects change color, produce smoke, melt, or morph in other ways. After exiting the phase, look at a small object from a distance of four to six inches, and remain focused on it for 10 seconds. If the object does not change, a practitioner can be assured that the surroundings are reality. If an object is somehow distorted or askew, a practitioner knows that the phase is intact. The simplest option is to look at the tip of the finger since it is always close at hand. It is also possible to take a book and examine its text. Text in the phase will either blur or appear as alphabetical gibberish, or be full of incomprehensible symbols."

- Techniques Against False Awakenings: page 307/8

Through research, we have also found this out about the "pinched nose reality check" and its effectiveness:

By the way, we use the term "phase" or "phase state" for out-of-body experiences/lucid dreaming.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”