Teeth Chattering when WILD

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Teeth Chattering when WILD

Postby HAGART » 10 Apr 2015 05:40

When I'm close to having a WILD my mouth starts to chatter uncontrollably sometimes. Like the automatic reflex of being cold that we all know, but I'm not cold. Does that help explain it?

My mouth just does that for some reason, rapidly, and uncontrollably. I can't verify for certain, but I'm pretty sure it's my body in the dream doing it, not in real life. I can tell because I usually wake up to find out I was in a False Awakened state, dreaming that I was trying to go to sleep. I've had it happen quite a bit, and wonder if others do too.

I just let it happen. I'm use to it because it's occurred about 10 times before in the past 3 years. It's not common, but enough for me to notice and get use to it. I had it happen this morning and it was like riding a bike I haven't been on in years... been there, done that. Even at the time, I had enough wherewithal to think of posing that question here and wonder if anyone else has had it happen to them or is it just me?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

paprika_boss

Re: Teeth Chattering when WILD

Postby paprika_boss » 10 Apr 2015 11:55

Hey,
I find it kind of funny :D
It's never happened to me. I'm not sure why your mouth would do that thing but I heard somewhere that while you're having a dream, your jaw could tense up..
Do you have problem with your teeth maybe?
I also know people that grind their teeth while they're asleep, but they don't know it, I myself used to do it when I was young, it was because my teeth were uneven..
I'm pretty sure it's my body in the dream doing it, not in real life

If it is absolutely uncontrolable, then it might be because of something that's happening in real life
I mean, why would you have your dream body doing something weird? You probably don't see yourself with your teeth chattering uncontrolably in real life, and it's not like we could call it a "glitch"
Maybe you could ask someone that sleeps nex to you if you do weird things while you're asleep?
I hope you find the answer, bye

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2015 14:36

No I've never had that happen to me nor heard of anyone else having this happen.

I'm suspecting its part of a dream state even though you currently don't think it is. It would be interesting to film yourself to find out for sure if it is your physical body or not. Some of that transitioning things can feel so very real.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 10 Apr 2015 16:53

Now that I think about it, perhaps my jaw was spasming ever so slightly in real life, but in that transitional dream state it was exaggerated, feeling more intense. I didn't hear my teeth chattering, but it was the only way I could think of describing it.

Jaw tensing up may explain it. Sometimes my arms and legs will twitch at the onset of a WILD too, as REM atonia kicks in. It's like the body is getting mixed signals, tensing up, and relaxing at the same time very rapidly hence the 'twitching' sensation. Perhaps this time it was localized to my jaw muscle, so it was the 'teeth chattering' sensation.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Apr 2015 10:45

HAGART wrote:Now that I think about it, perhaps my jaw was spasming ever so slightly in real life, but in that transitional dream state it was exaggerated, feeling more intense. I didn't hear my teeth chattering, but it was the only way I could think of describing it.

Jaw tensing up may explain it. Sometimes my arms and legs will twitch at the onset of a WILD too, as REM atonia kicks in. It's like the body is getting mixed signals, tensing up, and relaxing at the same time very rapidly hence the 'twitching' sensation. Perhaps this time it was localized to my jaw muscle, so it was the 'teeth chattering' sensation.

If its being caused by jaw tensing, I get jaw tensing at times when trying to WILD. It happens when I'm trying to hard

son of shennong

Postby son of shennong » 12 Apr 2015 01:26

HAGART wrote:When I'm close to having a WILD my mouth starts to chatter uncontrollably sometimes. Like the automatic reflex of being cold that we all know, but I'm not cold. Does that help explain it?

My mouth just does that for some reason, rapidly, and uncontrollably. I can't verify for certain, but I'm pretty sure it's my body in the dream doing it, not in real life. I can tell because I usually wake up to find out I was in a False Awakened state, dreaming that I was trying to go to sleep. I've had it happen quite a bit, and wonder if others do too.

I just let it happen. I'm use to it because it's occurred about 10 times before in the past 3 years. It's not common, but enough for me to notice and get use to it. I had it happen this morning and it was like riding a bike I haven't been on in years... been there, done that. Even at the time, I had enough wherewithal to think of posing that question here and wonder if anyone else has had it happen to them or is it just me?

Just speculating, but maybe your core body temp drops fast or faster @ times & the teeth chattering is a reflex to that. Do you find it incredibly easy to fall asleep?
Here's an except from a study about glycine as a sleep aid for insomnia.
"The decline in the core body temperature might be a mechanism underlying glycine's effect on sleep, as the onset of sleep is known to involve a decrease in the core body temperature."
And here's the pubmed link.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22293292
“Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in."
Thoreau

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Apr 2015 13:53

I thought about the dropping core temperature too before I posted but I think if it fell enough to make ones teeth chatter and a person was a aware of the teeth doing that, one would then probably also feel cold.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Apr 2015 16:19

I'll share more details from my dream journal that morning to provide the whole picture. The 'chattering teeth' was just one of many sensations, and at another point I was even feeling hot and sweaty. I wonder if others can relate to the old, 'hammock swinging' which I get from time to time as well.

After about 4-5 hours sleep, I woke up briefly for some water and a bathroom break before going back to bed. (I should call it, WBWBBBBTB technique :lol: ) I attempted to have a WILD by sleeping without moving a muscle. I had a lapse in consciousness without realizing and was in and out of short dreams and transitions.

At one point my teeth were chattering uncontrollably, but I recognized the feeling. I just relaxed and allowed it to happen. I was even aware enough to think about it and commented to myself that I should write about this on the forum. I then got spooked when I wondered if there would be a presence behind me as I was laying on my side and woke up. That's when I switched to laying on my back.

I'm not sure the exact order these come in...

One time, I was seeing images of my room forming up again and pretended to walk, using my leg muscles very subtly. I felt like I was about to walk straight up the wall from my laying position.

Another time, I was ready to try again, but I was a bit sweaty and repositioned myself, which felt more comfortable. However after awakening, I realized it was just my dream body because my position wasn't the same as I thought it was in the dream.

One time, I began to sway back and forth, left to right, as if on a hammock. (Another familiar feeling). I got higher and higher with each swing, and it reminded me of the Pirate Ship ride. I wanted to flip right over 360 degrees, but when I got too high, I fell back to bed, and woke up. (Unbeknownst to me it was a false awakening in bed again, as I continued with my attempts)

Another time, I was laying on my back and then suddenly floated straight up and was staring at the ceiling up close. I then felt my body drift to the right and I just remained still, waiting for it to set up. (This is yet another familiar feeling I've had dozens of times). I saw a window and tried to touch it and I could feel it. (I think it was this time that I was able to dream for a bit.)

I floated out of my room, not walking but several feet above the ground. I went downstairs, and the house was a different layout. I passed over my mother and grandmother. I almost thought perhaps I was Out of Body. They were looking right at me though, so I asked, "You can see me?" Grandma, said, "Yes, I thought you were just going through a phase." I joked, "I'm phasing alright." I saw two dogs, and although they didn't look like her, I thought both were Topaz (a German Sheppard I use to have). One was a younger version with a darker face. I asked grandma, to test her logic, what were their names or how can both exist at the same time? She said something like one is 'Old Dog'. The dream didn't last long and I think I was back in the FA in bed again.

The second time I was successful, I was in bed and started to see a television at a slight angle appear. It was large and grey. I thought to myself, if I see an image on it, then I'll know I'm dreaming. Shortly after I saw some words, and a few images flash on it, so I quickly got up and started moving. I rubbed my hands together and walked out of the room. I decided to go in the bathroom and reality check in the mirror. When I walked in, I noticed there were no sinks as if the counter had been ripped out for renovation. I knew I was dreaming now, but decided to look in the mirror anyway. I looked like Andy Richter smirking with a huge, over-sized, fat head. I was a little shocked and walked away, not wanting to analyze it too much. I had no idea what I wanted to do in the dream, despite feeling awake, I knew part of me was shut down. I didn't want to stop and think for too long, fearing that would snap me out of it, so I kept moving. Again the house was a completely different layout to the one I was currently sleeping in. The dream didn't last long.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Apr 2015 16:43

I can relate to a lot of that.

HAGART wrote:I wonder if others can relate to the old, 'hammock swinging' which I get from time to time as well.

I've had that at least once. I once used the swinging to go into an OBE or dream. I swung a lot and ended up flipping over and went into a dream.

One time, I was seeing images of my room forming up again and pretended to walk, using my leg muscles very subtly. I felt like I was about to walk straight up the wall from my laying position.

I walked up my bedroom wall one day. I didn't know I was going up the wall till I walked into the roof!

Another time, I was ready to try again, but I was a bit sweaty and repositioned myself, which felt more comfortable. However after awakening, I realized it was just my dream body because my position wasn't the same as I thought it was in the dream.

I actually did that last night and hence missed out on having a LD. I was getting some terrific HI for a change. I was seeing some amazing paintings of castles, very vivid ones and while I was seeing these, wishing I could do paintings like that. I then realised I was all twisted and thought I'd fallen asleep half sitting up in bed, so tried to reposition myself only to loose my state and realise my body hadn't been twisted after all.

Another time, I was laying on my back and then suddenly floated straight up and was staring at the ceiling up close.

One time I floated up and hit my nose on the ceiling and like you, yeah could see that ceiling up close :lol: (once I'd hit my nose on it, I jarred myself more fully awake but not out of the experience). Another time I'd floated up and with the ceiling right in front of my face, ended up with claustrophobia as I just stayed floating there. I didn't want to have an OBE that night as I felt so very tired and ended up with the ceiling in my face.

Again the house was a completely different layout to the one I was currently sleeping in. The dream didn't last long.

I've never found the layout out of my house different.

mikaln

Postby mikaln » 05 Dec 2017 10:58

HAGART wrote:I'll share more details from my dream journal that morning to provide the whole picture. The 'chattering teeth' was just one of many sensations, and at another point I was even feeling hot and sweaty. I wonder if others can relate to the old, 'hammock swinging' which I get from time to time as well.

After about 4-5 hours sleep, I woke up briefly for some water and a bathroom break before going back to bed. (I should call it, WBWBBBBTB technique :lol: ) I attempted to have a WILD by sleeping without moving a muscle. I had a lapse in consciousness without realizing and was in and out of short dreams and transitions.

At one point my teeth were chattering uncontrollably, but I recognized the feeling. I just relaxed and allowed it to happen. I was even aware enough to think about it and commented to myself that I should write about this on the forum. I then got spooked when I wondered if there would be a presence behind me as I was laying on my side and woke up. That's when I switched to laying on my back.

I'm not sure the exact order these come in...

One time, I began to sway back and forth, left to right, as if on a hammock. (Another familiar feeling). I got higher and higher with each swing, and it reminded me of the Pirate Ship ride. I wanted to flip right over 360 degrees, but when I got too high, I fell back to bed, and woke up. (Unbeknownst to me it was a false awakening in bed again, as I continued with my attempts)

Another time, I was laying on my back and then suddenly floated straight up and was staring at the ceiling up close. I then felt my body drift to the right and I just remained still, waiting for it to set up. (This is yet another familiar feeling I've had dozens of times). I saw a window and tried to touch it and I could feel it. (I think it was this time that I was able to dream for a bit.)

I floated out of my room, not walking but several feet above the ground. I went downstairs, and the house was a different layout. I passed over my mother and grandmother. I almost thought perhaps I was Out of Body. They were looking right at me though, so I asked, "You can see me?" Grandma, said, "Yes, I thought you were just going through a phase." I joked, "I'm phasing alright." I saw two dogs, and although they didn't look like her, I thought both were Topaz (a German Sheppard I use to have). One was a younger version with a darker face. I asked grandma, to test her logic, what were their names or how can both exist at the same time? She said something like one is 'Old Dog'. The dream didn't last long and I think I was back in the FA in bed again.

The second time I was successful, I was in bed and started to see a television at a slight angle appear. It was large and grey. I thought to myself, if I see an image on it, then I'll know I'm dreaming. Shortly after I saw some words, and a few images flash on it, so I quickly got up and started moving. I rubbed my hands together and walked out of the room. I decided to go in the bathroom and reality check in the mirror. When I walked in, I noticed there were no sinks as if the counter had been ripped out for renovation. I knew I was dreaming now, but decided to look in the mirror anyway. I looked like Andy Richter smirking with a huge, over-sized, fat head. I was a little shocked and walked away, not wanting to analyze it too much. I had no idea what I wanted to do in the dream, despite feeling awake, I knew part of me was shut down. I didn't want to stop and think for too long, fearing that would snap me out of it, so I kept moving. Again the house was a completely different layout to the one I was currently sleeping in. The dream didn't last long.

I literally just joined the forum. I have never read up on how to induce lucid dreaming, however I have always been able to. Every now and again I go through a phase where even when I don't want to experience it, I can't prevent it from happening. Last night was one of the worst cases I've ever experienced, which lead me to do some google searching and lead me here. What you have written about almost identically describes my experience I had last night and I just want to say thank you for putting the information out there that let me realize I wasn't alone.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”