My first attempt at lucid dreaming. How close was I??

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
InceptionTravel

My first attempt at lucid dreaming. How close was I??

Postby InceptionTravel » 28 Feb 2016 17:14

Hi everyone,

My name is Jake, I'm 22 and I'm from London, UK.
I have known about lucid dreams my whole life however I have never had one. I used to have out of body experiences every night when I was about 5 years old, I would wake up and find my self above my body on the ceiling. I could see myself sleeping clearly and after looking at myself I would begin to slowly float down into my body. As I would fall down I could feel butterflies in my traveller body and as soon as I reconnected with my body, I would wake up immediately, taking a gasping breath and bolting up into a sitting position. As I say this used to happen every night for at least a year or two. My last out of body experience was when I was 16, I OBE'd and stood beside myself, watching myself sleep. Someone came into my room and I woke up, completely paralysed, unable to move. I guess my mind woke up before my body, eventually I came round.

My question is, I have never had a lucid dream - I've never been aware I'm in a dream or controlled one and that is what I have been trying to learn to do the last 2 days. I have started a dream journal, documenting my dreams, all of which have been awful dreams - I had a dream of a plane crashing in from of me and blowing up, then another where I had a massive hollow hole in my left thigh and another where a black cat was attacking and biting me the other night. Last night I dreamt my grandad had a seizure and a stroke. So not very nice dreams the last few nights.

I have also been doing checks during the day like counting my fingers and pinching myself to see if I can feel it as well as reading a book about lucid dreams.

My question is regarding the experience last night. I went to bed and laid on my back. I took a few deep breaths and relaxed into the bed. I am used to meditating so am good at quieting my mind. If any thoughts came in I just let them go. After some time I started to feel my body almost vibrating, my chest became heavy and I started to see bright images flash into my mind, not clear like my vision though. It's like when you wake up the next day and visualise the dream. I wasn't in dream state however. The heavy chest started to become uncomfortable so I snapped myself out of it and then tried again, however this time I fell asleep and dreamt instead.

For those experienced lucid dreamers, was I close to lucid dreaming or was it likely that I would have gone into an out of body experience instead? Also, what else can I do to have a lucid dream?

Any feedback would be appreciated, many thanks,

Jake

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[Lucid] Maxda

Re: My first attempt at lucid dreaming. How close was I??

Postby [Lucid] Maxda » 29 Feb 2016 07:39

When you felt the pressure on your chest, you were at the Sleep Paralysis stage but you weren't in it completly since you could move. You were really close to a lucid dream, do the same thing and it will happen, trust me, i tried to lucid dream for over 5 months non-stop everynight and it finally became something yesterday... :)

InceptionTravel

Postby InceptionTravel » 01 Mar 2016 11:32

Hi Maxda,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the heavy chest felt uncomfortable so I pulled myself out. If I went into sleep paralysis and was aware it wasn't real would that then turn into a lucid dream?

I would love to hear your technique for entering lucid dreaming and your experiences? I've heard that one technique is to set an alarm for 4 in the morning and then go back to sleep but I'm not really interested in doing that as I have a busy lifestyle and don't want my sleep pattern to effect my daily life. I'm sure it's possible to enter lucidity within the first sleep?

Have a great day,
Jake

InceptionTravel

Postby InceptionTravel » 01 Mar 2016 16:06

P.S - congratulations on your first lucid dream 5 months is a lot of dedication!

[Lucid] Maxda wrote:When you felt the pressure on your chest, you were at the Sleep Paralysis stage but you weren't in it completly since you could move. You were really close to a lucid dream, do the same thing and it will happen, trust me, i tried to lucid dream for over 5 months non-stop everynight and it finally became something yesterday... :)

[Lucid] Maxda

Postby [Lucid] Maxda » 01 Mar 2016 22:06

InceptionTravel wrote:P.S - congratulations on your first lucid dream 5 months is a lot of dedication!

[Lucid] Maxda wrote:When you felt the pressure on your chest, you were at the Sleep Paralysis stage but you weren't in it completly since you could move. You were really close to a lucid dream, do the same thing and it will happen, trust me, i tried to lucid dream for over 5 months non-stop everynight and it finally became something yesterday... :)

Thanks, and i was using the FILD method.

-> Set an alarm for about 6 hours of sleep.
-> Sleep.
-> Wake up.
-> Stay awake for 2-4 minutes.
-> Go back to sleep, but this time, move slightly your middle and index fingers like if you were playing a piano.

Worked for me, not the first time doe, took me a bit of practice!

InceptionTravel

Postby InceptionTravel » 02 Mar 2016 20:12

Great method!! Thanks very much

[Lucid] Maxda wrote:
InceptionTravel wrote:P.S - congratulations on your first lucid dream 5 months is a lot of dedication!

Thanks, and i was using the FILD method.

-> Set an alarm for about 6 hours of sleep.
-> Sleep.
-> Wake up.
-> Stay awake for 2-4 minutes.
-> Go back to sleep, but this time, move slightly your middle and index fingers like if you were playing a piano.

Worked for me, not the first time doe, took me a bit of practice!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Mar 2016 12:08

I'll give you my view on this which is different to some as many here believe OBE and LD are the same thing which I personally dont, I have experienced both.

Based on your past you may be more prone to have an OBE then a LD, they are slightly different states.

With both you need the same kind of degree of body relaxation but the difference is what the mind is doing. Dreaming is the subconsciousness manifesting and LD is the mix of ones waking consciousness with the subconsciousness creating. OBE though is a different reality in which the subconsciousness is just working in the background as it does in your waking life. Due to this a LD state is one is which one is mentally a lot more relaxed so the subconsciousness can manifest.

This being said, some forms of meditation may not mix well with LD. Where all thoughts during meditation are lost and one becames like a blank slate....nothingness, I personally find that useless for LD as to create a dream, your thoughts need to be flowing some. Im a yogi and used to do advanced meditation practices. I can hold a thoughtless, timeless state of just beingness all night without going into LD at all. Visualisation though can be useful for a wake induced lucid dream (WILD) once one is in the right kind of relaxed state to have a LD . Visualization (which works the mind) is the complete opposite to mind stillness.

One way to try to trigger off a WILD is to not move at all the moment you wake up and instead think of yourself back into the dream you came out of.. imagine being back in that location etc and how it felt.

The feeling like you were about to go into vibrations, you probably were about too being more prone to the OBE state. The vibrations are often sensed and felt when one is tuning into their energy body (astral body) as this body just consists of energy and energy is always moving/vibrating.. the more focus on this, the more the energy condenses and hence the strong vibrations become. Its possible to focus on these till one is thrown out of body.

You may want to rather focus on OBE methods to trigger off for you what is coming more naturally to you as that may be easier for you. I also suggest to say some kind of protective prayer before you mess around with OBE. Its one of the cons of it, it isnt always completely safe though most of the time its fine and you have to be fairly unlucky to come across anything dangerous. Black cats can be like psychic warnings from the subconsciousness... a symbol connected to the occult and things like astral projection. (common symbol used).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

[Lucid] Maxda

Postby [Lucid] Maxda » 31 Mar 2016 04:47

taniaaust1 wrote:I'll give you my view on this which is different to some as many here believe OBE and LD are the same thing which I personally dont, I have experienced both.

Based on your past you may be more prone to have an OBE then a LD, they are slightly different states.

With both you need the same kind of degree of body relaxation but the difference is what the mind is doing. Dreaming is the subconsciousness manifesting and LD is the mix of ones waking consciousness with the subconsciousness creating. OBE though is a different reality in which the subconsciousness is just working in the background as it does in your waking life. Due to this a LD state is one is which one is mentally a lot more relaxed so the subconsciousness can manifest.

This being said, some forms of meditation may not mix well with LD. Where all thoughts during meditation are lost and one becames like a blank slate....nothingness, I personally find that useless for LD as to create a dream, your thoughts need to be flowing some. Im a yogi and used to do advanced meditation practices. I can hold a thoughtless, timeless state of just beingness all night without going into LD at all. Visualisation though can be useful for a wake induced lucid dream (WILD) once one is in the right kind of relaxed state to have a LD . Visualization (which works the mind) is the complete opposite to mind stillness.

One way to try to trigger off a WILD is to not move at all the moment you wake up and instead think of yourself back into the dream you came out of.. imagine being back in that location etc and how it felt.

The feeling like you were about to go into vibrations, you probably were about too being more prone to the OBE state. The vibrations are often sensed and felt when one is tuning into their energy body (astral body) as this body just consists of energy and energy is always moving/vibrating.. the more focus on this, the more the energy condenses and hence the strong vibrations become. Its possible to focus on these till one is thrown out of body.

You may want to rather focus on OBE methods to trigger off for you what is coming more naturally to you as that may be easier for you. I also suggest to say some kind of protective prayer before you mess around with OBE. Its one of the cons of it, it isnt always completely safe though most of the time its fine and you have to be fairly unlucky to come across anything dangerous. Black cats can be like psychic warnings from the subconsciousness... a symbol connected to the occult and things like astral projection. (common symbol used).

Yep!
That was a BRICK! :)
But you're 100% right, couldn't explain it more clearly than that! :)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”