I find it hard to fly in a lucid dream. Any suggestions or..

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

I find it hard to fly in a lucid dream. Any suggestions or..

Postby HAGART » 10 Jul 2012 22:50

I couldn't fit the entire title:
I FIND IT HARD TO FLY IN LUCID DREAMS. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR OTHER THINGS TO DO THAT YOU RECOMMEND?

I was in a dream yesterday, and I was semi-lucid. Long story short I felt like the director of the dream and although I knew it wasn't real I was not completely lucid. I got to a point where I knew if I turned right on a road it will lead to a beach and a dead end. I had to go left and pass the house where a monster was in order to get back to the city and civilization where I would be safe.... either way the 'monster' would appear again and I didn't want that.

THEN I REALIZED IT WAS JUST A DREAM AND I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT! The colors and detail became more vivid.

I decided to fly. I ran with my arms out-stretched and leaped. I glided for a bit but lost momentum. I felt like I was one of those toy styrofoam air plane gliders that I played with when I was younger. Then I thought I needed an engine and made a motor sound with my mouth, or was it my mind. It worked but I needed more power so I made the noise louder. I tried to bank right, but that wasn't enough, i tilted my hands as if like ailerons and then I turned. Then I realized I didn't have to make the noise I only needed the will to do it. But it faded and I woke up.

I can already see that I am too literal or focused on physical reality and tried to mimic an airplane which is not nesessary. I can levitate quite well and move around that way, but for me, flying is hard.

Are there any people that have had trouble flying out there and would like to share your technique?

But also, I am sure there are some way cooler, more spectacular things to do when lucid, and I am running out of ideas. I want to hear some crazy suggestions!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

satopnek

Re: I find it hard to fly in a lucid dream. Any suggestions

Postby satopnek » 10 Jul 2012 23:15

I am new to trying to intentionally LD but I have been flying for years whenever I have had a spontaneous LD (I just all of the sudden know that I am dreaming). When I fly I just feel power coming out of my body which pushes me wherever I wish and as fast as I wish. Perhaps instead of running and gliding you should just will energy to push out of your feet and levitate you off the ground.

Ivanna

Postby Ivanna » 10 Jul 2012 23:23

In Rebecca's own words "You have to take control of your expectations. You have to truly believe you are a confident, experienced flyer. Then nothing can bring you down." . So I guess you just have to keep reminding yourself of the fact that this is your dream and you can do whatever set your mind to. And also that the only thing holding you back is yourself and your own expectations, so just keep trying. First try making big leaps, bounce a bit and see what happens :)
As for fun things to do the list is endless :) You could emerge yourself in your favourite movie, walk the red carpet, eat delicious food without worrying about your waistline, watch your favourite musician/band perform live, fly a hoverboard...remember, your imagination is the limit :D
In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own ~ Dumbledore

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » 10 Jul 2012 23:41

I agree with Ivanna...I have a difficult time flying, and still havn't mastered it. However, the last lucid flying session I had went perfect, but it was only because of the dream state I was in before becoming lucid.

In my dream I was fighting Lord Sauron with Herminone Granger and Ron Weasley. Sort of a mix of LOTR and Harry Potter lol. I became lucid shortly after killing Sauron with my wand. I forgot how I became lucid, but once I did I became very confident in my magic abilities because I had literally just used them. I immediately went outside and muttered a spell to summon a broomstick. I turned around to find one laying a few paces away. I then flew around at ease in the huge city I was in. The view was magnificent and I remember enjoying the flight for a good five minutes until I forgot to remind myself I was dreaming and it turned into a non-lucid dream.

Here is my new goal for mastering flying in my next LD: While lucid, I will remember what it was like to have special powers from my Harry Potter dream. I'll acknowledge that this dream is no different, and will attempt to fly with confidence or summon a broom stick again and do it that way. So perhaps you can try a similar technique if you can remember a dream where you had super powers.
False Awakening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6DArXj2V0

Check out more videos on my Youtube page!

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 11 Jul 2012 02:38

Yup, you definitely can't be timid. With the most confidence and *KNOW* that you can muster... just jump into the air and FLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY!

That's what I do. It's your Intent. EVERYTHING is Intent.

Intent is this...
Think about moving your hand. Think as hard as you can "HAND MOVE!!". Suffice to say, you can think about wanting your hand to move all your want, but it isn't going to move until you actually DO IT.

The act that comes a split millisecond before your hand actually moves... THAT is Intent.
It's the difference between wanting something to happen and making it happen.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Jul 2012 20:47

Interesting comments.
Sometimes I have all the will in the world to do something, but my subconscious says, "Na ah!"

I have flown before, but this time it was the last dream in the morning and perhaps I wasn't deep enough in the dream world and was too conscious of physical reality.

I can jump really high though, but my 'mental gravity' tends to kick in and pull me back down.

I have summoned aids to help too. I am a fan of Dragon Ball Z and in it, Goku has as flying cloud he rides called, Nimbus. I summoned my own Nimbus once and it was an orange light on the ground. When I stood on it I was then able to fly, but still it was more like levitating, which I guess is technically flying but much slower.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Jul 2012 00:40

I was lucid again last night. (Or early this morning to be exact).
I needed to get back home or something, (it was a hotel in a city actually, but that was where I was staying apparently), and I thought why don't I teleport there, because walking will take too long. After all it is just a dream. Then I realized that since it is just a dream, I can do what ever I want.

I decided to fly and I did quite easily without any run up. But when I tried to fly high, I stopped rising. I was about 20 feet or so off the ground, just above the trees in an urban park. It was at the end of a dream and close to waking so it didn't last too long. I would have loved to zig and zag around the buildings and swoop close to the ground and fly up again.

I guess it just takes practice. Flying in a lucid dream is something that doesn't come naturally to me.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 13 Jul 2012 10:42

Try go to the extreme, go straight into space. If that doesnt work try bouncing, double your height every time, fo rme it helps if I stare directly at the ground below me.

I hear swimming is fun, something I have wanted to try out is dieing in a lucid dream just to see what would happen.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Jul 2012 01:20

Jack Reacher wrote:it helps if I stare directly at the ground below me.

Yea, that makes sense. I became lucid with my feet on the ground and didn't look around much before flying. When I try to 'see' the unknown of where I am going, it doesn't work. I should focus on what my subconscious has already constructed and 'fly' according to that and then it will probably kick in and I will be able to fly 3 dimensionally up in the air with ease. Before I fly, perhaps I should look around and have a flight plan. I should take a moment to get to know my surroundings that I am in first. They are never the same and my subconscious made it and it's much easier to go along with it. And although of course you can fly through things, it's fun to get close and avoid obstacles like buildings and trees.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 17 Jul 2012 18:35

I was lucid again last night and tried flying. I was pretty successful this time.
I pretended I was a hot air balloon so I would simply float. But I got caught in the branches of a tree and then a artistic wrought iron abstract tree. Both were mental blocks and I decided to go to the ground and avoid the 'trees' and try again. Then I remembered what Jack Reacher said, "Go into space." So I jumped really high, but space was too far away. I tried again and just thought to myself, pretend you are in space. I was looking up when I jumped and the blue sky turned black. Then I looked down and sure enough I saw earth from far away. It was mostly blue with one island. I fell back, but before I hit the ground I did it again. This time when I looked down, I willed it to look like the land masses on earth and it worked. Not completely vivid, but a close enough representation. When I fell back I started to move horizontally and is was like being in an airplane or playing with Google Earth.
Then I forget how, but I was able to achieve my dream. (Pun intended). I was in a city and I was flying around buildings and avoiding cars. It was only visual however. There was no sound or the sensation of wind or sun on my back. But it was a great improvement. I still had a little trouble turning, and when I did it quickly it was disorientating, like when you turn your head really fast in a lucid dream to see something and since it is not stable it becomes different.
Anyway, that's the update. And it wasn't just Jack Reacher's words, you are all helpful. Intent is important too!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”