Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sean Jacobs

Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique

Postby Sean Jacobs » 02 Feb 2017 13:52

I am a very light sleeper who has ongoing issues with insomnia, which is not conducive to most lucid dreaming techniques. I have tried most of them and have had success with journaling and MILD but it always comes with the cost of losing sleep which has a negative impact on my waking life. This leaves me with limited options for lucid dreaming. I have read several books, many articles, and many posts on forums regarding lucid dreaming. The one technique that appeals to me most is the “Lucid Mindset or Lucid Lifestyle” technique. Stephen LaBerge speaks of this in his book “Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming.” He states that he has interviewed what he called “Ultra Frequent Lucid Dreamers.” These people have 1000+ lucid dreams per year. All of these people have something in common; they have some kind of deeply ingrained habit which leads them to lucidity in most of their dreams. Some of these people suffered from chronic nightmares as children which lead them to constantly (in waking life) question if they are “Safe” in their current environment (If I’m dreaming I’m in danger. Am I dreaming?); some had obsessive compulsive behaviors which lead them to question what they were doing 10 minutes ago, which lead them to realize they were in bed 10 minutes ago. In these cases no other induction techniques were required.

This is what I want for my life. I want to reach a point where I can’t help but become lucid in my dreams. But how?

As I pondered this question I came to the realization that what we are all looking for, the most important aspect for everyone who pursues lucid dreaming, is one brief moment, one spark, of realization. We all want the tiny spark in our minds that triggers us to question our reality. We dream journal to help us locate dream signs, hoping when we see them it will trigger that spark. We repeat mantras and affirmations hoping they will help to trigger that spark. We try to “fall asleep while still awake” hoping to carry that spark directly into our dreams. That tiny spark, that one simple thought is what we all need to kindle lucidity. All of our lucid dreaming goals depend on this one simple thing.

Why is this tiny spark of realization so difficult to achieve? I believe it is because we are deeply programed, right from birth, to spend the majority of our lives mindlessly responding to outside stimuli. We are human. We have our five senses: sight, sound, touch, smell, & taste. We move though life responding to these stimuli without thinking too much about it. It is just normal life. Then we have the emotional aspect. We respond to the stimuli we receive both physically, and mentally/emotionally. I believe we spend the majority of our waking lives on “auto pilot.” We simply go with the flow without much thought beyond that constant barrage of sensory input. Through these senses we perceive our world. Yet there is another world, our dream world. The vast majority of people barely think about their dreams. They don’t have a clue about the amazing possibilities of their dreams. But we do.

So, I have concluded that I need to continuously break free of mindlessly responding to external stimuli. I need to constantly create that spark of realization in my daily life. I need to ingrain this habit into my mind so deeply that it reaches my subconscious and feeds over to my dreams. Once I have created this habit to the point where I do it without thinking, in theory I should be able to lucid dream effortlessly often.

I have been back into lucid dreaming for about 47 days. But it has only been in the last 14 days that I have begun to focus on this technique, at which time I stopped maintaining my dream journal (except for lucid dreams) and stopped using MILD. I have gotten lucid once since then (on Jan 31st 2017).

I have read some articles on forming a habit, and most state it takes 21 days. However, I read another article which stated it takes 66+ days to form a habit. I find this one more reasonable. But, because I am trying to ingrain this so deeply that it will reach my dreams, I’m going to shoot for 365 days….yes 1 year.

Here is the plan:
• I will question my reality (Am I dreaming?), look around me closely for anything out of the ordinary, odd or “dreamlike”, and then do a reality check (I look at my hand and count my fingers) often during the day (50+ times). I will also do this any time I move to a new environment/location. If I walk into another room, go outside, enter/exit a building, enter/exit a vehicle, etc I will question reality and reality check.
• I will continue to give myself affirmations about succeeding in my plan before I sleep and when every I feel I have time.
• Before I sleep I will also remind myself to check my reality.
• I will stay motivated by reading my LD journal and reading materials about lucid dreaming.

Today is day 15 of this technique. I will update this post as I progress.
Last edited by Sean Jacobs on 03 Feb 2017 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Beethoven

Re: Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique

Postby Beethoven » 02 Feb 2017 17:17

Good luck on your travels. I'll be interested to read about your progress.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 02 Feb 2017 19:48

Beethoven wrote:Good luck on your travels. I'll be interested to read about your progress.

Thanks Beethoven.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 02 Feb 2017 19:54

It is amazing (and frustrating) how often I find myself on autopilot. So I am doing great at questioning reality and doing a reality check, then I am going out to lunch with a coworker. I leave my office and chatting with my coworker. We go down a hall, down 3 flights of stairs, through the lobby of the building, into the parking lot, to her SUV, drive out of the parking lot, onto the highway, off the highway, into the parking lot of the plaza, walk to the door of the restaurant, in the door, get seated.......then I realize I a haven't questioned reality or done a reality check in the last 15 minutes (which is approximately how long it took from my office to the table). I have changed location multiple times and was oblivious. I did much better on our way back to work.

But, I will continue to work diligently on making this such a habit that I don't even think about it...I just do the QR/RC combo automatically.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 03 Feb 2017 15:26

No lucid dreams last night.

I had several dreams which I remember some of the content. The last dream was very strange though out. There were cartoon characters, and a man who was made of a cloud who floated through a ventilation grate, and most interesting there was a man who was annoying me and with a wave of my hand I turned him into a kitten. This morning I began to think about how I overlooked all of those extremely obvious dream signs.

Those of us who pursue lucid dreams generally keep dream journals. We review our dreams and search for dream signs so we can spot them in future dreams and become lucid. I have found that this does not work for me because my dream signs are generally not reoccurring (except for one exception of a place from my childhood which shows up once in a while). I went back and reviewed the 63 LD's I have recorded. I broke them out into 3 categories of what triggered lucidity: Emotion, Dream Sign & Habit

Emotion: My emotional state triggers that "spark" of realization that something isn't right which then triggers me to do a reality check. For me the emotions consist of Shock/Surprise (Example: Someone I know jumps out of a second story window and lands face down on pavement and I react like it is reality) or Confusion/Frustration/Annoyance/Anger (Example: I'm trying to take a shower but the water won't come on and I know I'm going to be late for work)
Dream Sign: I recognize something a specific thing or place that I know I have seen in a previous dream which triggers that "spark" of realization that this may be a dream. (Example: There is a particular location from my childhood that shows up in my dreams occasionally. I currently live near enough to this place that I drive by it occasionally. When I am near it in RL I do a RC, and so I do a RC in my dreams when I see the location.)
Habit: I just do a successful reality check because it is a habit, even though nothing within the dream triggered the RC.

For me, up to this point, Emotion is what triggers the majority of my lucid dreams. In my 3 most recent dreams frustration and annoyance were the emotions that triggered me to do a RC.

So, after last night's dreams I realize that logic and memory inside of a dream do not work the same way as in real life. I can have all kinds of crazy things happen in the dream and never questions them because they make perfect sense to my dreaming mind. So I cannot count on reviewing dream signs unless they are reoccurring.

Emotion can be used as a dream sign and I will add this to my reasons to do a RC everyday. Anytime I feel confused, frustrated, annoyed, angry, shocked or surprised I will do a RC. This in and of itself will become a habit.

In my opinion this provides an even stronger justification for creating a deeply ingrained habit of doing reality checks. Emotion and Dream Signs relay on me "realizing" that something isn't right before doing a RC. In most of my dreams I don't realize that something is strange, no matter how strange they may seem after I wake up and recall the dream. Both Emotion and Dream Sign work like this: "Realization --> Reality Check". But Habit reverses this process to "Reality Check --> Realization" which puts me more in control.

So I will reality check for 4 reasons:
1. Location: I have moved to a new location (new room, new building, outside, etc)
2. Time: I will do reality checks if I have been in the same location for more that 15-30 minutes
3. Emotion: I will do a reality check any time I have negative emotions (as described above)
4. Dream Signs: If I locate any reoccurring dream signs which relate to anything I encounter regularly in reality, I will RC when I see them.

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 03 Feb 2017 15:48

Great post! I hope reality checks start working for you??? I've gone through some mad stages where I've pretty much spent all day trying to be conscious of everything, doing all the popular checks etc. and after about a month I've worn myself out. I should maybe just do a few a day so I won't drive myself too mad! I have also never kept a dream journal which I'm sure has prevented me from having more success.

Good luck!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 03 Feb 2017 17:43

I have another observation.

When I started pursuing lucid dreaming, and throughout my pursuits of LDing, I believe I tend to take on too many goals at once. I try to accomplish too much simultaneously. When I think about it, there are generally many goals we all try to attain, such as:
Dream Journaling: 1. Training yourself to wake up after your dreams, 2. Training yourself to remember your dreams, 3. Making these steps a habit, 4. Recording your dreams, 5. Reviewing your dreams for dream signs, 6. Training yourself to remember those dream signs so you can recognize them in your dreams.
Inducing Lucid Dreams: 1. Training your mind to look for dream signs, 2. Mantras before bed, 3. Affirmations all day long
Once you are lucid: 1. Reality check for confirmation, 2. Stabilizing the dream, 3. Using your senses in the dream, 4. Speaking out lout in your dream, 5. Remembering that you are dreaming so you don't lose lucidity, 6. Remembering your goals for the dream.
Then there are the things you have to learn, remember and master for all the techniques, and many people experiment with them.

In real life it is often best to pick one or two things and learn, practice, and master each before moving on to something new. This is what I've decided to do. My only goals at the moment are first to make reality checking a habit which I no longer have to think about it I just do it, and second to get lucid in my dreams. What ever happens after I am lucid isn't relevant until I can become lucid at least 3 nights per week every week. Once I have mastered these goals I will take on a new goal, such as remembering to stabilize my dreams every time I become lucid. Then continue this process until I have mastered everything I want with regards to lucid dreaming.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 03 Feb 2017 17:49

Beethoven wrote:Great post! I hope reality checks start working for you??? I've gone through some mad stages where I've pretty much spent all day trying to be conscious of everything, doing all the popular checks etc. and after about a month I've worn myself out. I should maybe just do a few a day so I won't drive myself too mad! I have also never kept a dream journal which I'm sure has prevented me from having more success.

Good luck!

Thank you Beethoven. I'm looking to stick with this RC project for a year, I'm feeling confident that If I can reach the threshold where it becomes part of my covert behaviors (which exist in our subconscious mind) lucid dreaming we become extremely easy. But this is going to take time and commitment.

As far as dream journalling, personally I am not a fan...but it does help.

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 03 Feb 2017 20:15

I think it's great how ambitious you are which I think helps in the world of lucid dreaming. But, there's a danger that you could start feeling depressed etc. if things don't work out. I say this cos this is what happened to me. I had such high hopes after the first few years, it seemed like things were just gonna get better and better, but it was quite the opposite. I must've gone about 3 years without a lucid dream and it wasn't for the lack of trying. These days I have about one a month, but for the most part I don't really make the effort.

The thing that has worked best for me is lying on my back some time in the night and trying to meditate. I kind of drift in and out of consciousness and occasionally I'll end up lucid. But, if I give up after about half an hour and roll back on my side, it increases my chances of being lucid.

BUT, I'm one hell of a lazy sod and unless I'm going through one of my many ambitious phases, I won't bother!

Happy dreaming!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 03 Feb 2017 21:04

Beethoven wrote:I think it's great how ambitious you are which I think helps in the world of lucid dreaming. But, there's a danger that you could start feeling depressed etc. if things don't work out. I say this cos this is what happened to me. I had such high hopes after the first few years, it seemed like things were just gonna get better and better, but it was quite the opposite. I must've gone about 3 years without a lucid dream and it wasn't for the lack of trying. These days I have about one a month, but for the most part I don't really make the effort.

The thing that has worked best for me is lying on my back some time in the night and trying to meditate. I kind of drift in and out of consciousness and occasionally I'll end up lucid. But, if I give up after about half an hour and roll back on my side, it increases my chances of being lucid.

BUT, I'm one hell of a lazy sod and unless I'm going through one of my many ambitious phases, I won't bother!

Happy dreaming!

Thanks Beethoven. I hear what you're saying. I've been off and on with lucid dreaming since 2004. I go though the same thing as you. I'm highly motivated, but then don't get the results I want and stop pursuing LDs. It reaches a point where it is just too much work. This time I am trying something new. The worst case scenario is I lose interest and give up (again). However, one of the driving factors of me giving up in the past was always sleep issues. Everything I did in the past lead to me losing sleep. This method should not cause this issue.

For now, I will ride the wave of motivation and see what happens.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”