Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sean Jacobs

Re: Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique

Postby Sean Jacobs » 28 Mar 2017 17:45

Hi Beethoven.

You are right. I will never give up, but I may take breaks. Lucid dreaming is too amazing to completely give up.

Yes, the guy with the SAT (sporadic awareness technique) suggestion is what I am going to do.

So I figure I will do this:
>During the day: Be aware as possible (depending on circumstances), take intentional breaks to be fully aware several times per day, Be continuously aware of my emotional state (ask, "How do I feel?" and why), continuously ask "Am I dreaming (after I check my emotional state), search for clues that I may be dreaming, consider that I may actually be dreaming, stop and be still for a few seconds then do a reality check, pretend I am dreaming for a few seconds and visualize what I would do. Also - See if I can "will" women to flirt with me, pay attention to mirrors.
>At night: Remind myself of my dream signs: Heightened emotions, women being sexual with me in some manner, and mirrors. State repeatedly that I will realize this is a dream sign and do a reality check. Review my dreams, locate a spot where I should have done a reality check, visualize doing a successful reality check and play out what I would have done. State intent to wake up after dreams and remembering dreams. Wake up, remember dreams and record notes. Go back to sleep, repeat mantra 10 times then allow mind to drift off to sleep. Update dream journal in the morning.

Good luck Beethoven. I hope those problems go away soon and you find peace. Hopefully when you get back I will be having 20+ LDs per month, and they are long and enjoyable...and full of lovely ladies ....and Liam Neeson says out of my dreams.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 28 Mar 2017 18:43

Hi Sean...

I like your ideas. I really hope they work for you.

I hope you can keep up your experimental diary on here. I bet there's lots of people that love reading about your progress, me being one of them.

Try not to get too frustrated. Keep thinking... "this time next year..."

I hope you manage to get 20+. That would be totally awesome!

Take my great lucid dreaming mate!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 29 Mar 2017 12:27

March 29, 2017

Day 53 of my LD experiment. No lucid dreams last night.

Yesterday was ok. I followed my plan, took my usual supplements. I’m really hoping this plan will work. (see below for revised plan)

I took 2 passion flower capsules last night before bed and they were a bit too strong. I did briefly awake after 2 dreams earlier in the night, but didn’t manage to remember the dream or take notes. Tonight I will take just 1 and see if that works.

Dream: I don’t remember how this dream started, but from the point I remember is from a 3rd person perspective (like I am watching a movie). There is a naked bald Caucasian man standing with his back to my view on a dirt trail in what appears to be a dessert terrain similar to Arizona. I can see red stone cliffs and small scrub brush all around. I am watching him from about 50 feet over head and my point of view is zooming down toward him. He turns his head as my view draws closer, to within 10 feet. I see his profile and he knows he is being pursued. He suddenly shapeshifts into a large skunk only he retains some human features of his face and head. He begins to move away from my view and lifts his tail like he is going to spray me, but my view continues to follow him. He shapeshifts again into a large white horse with a mostly human head, but covered in white hair. He begins to run. My view continues to follow very closely. He then stops, still with his back to my view, and shape shifts again this time into a large porcupine with very long brown needles. He turns to face my view and his human expression clearly shows he is extremely angry. The dream fades and I wake up. (4:51 AM)

Revised Plan

Awareness:
 Continuously ask “Am I Dreaming?” and examine your environment for clues that you are. I will do a RC is I see anything odd or dreamlike.
 Continuously ask “How am I feeling?” and then ask “Why am I feeling this way?” If I am feeling negative emotions do a reality check.
 When I see an attractive woman I will “will” to approach me, which will trigger a RC (see below)
Reality checks:
 When doing reality checks, STOP & be still for a moment. Then do the physical RC. Then visualize I found I am dreaming and what I would do next.
 I will reality check if I find myself in any form of “sexual” situation.
 I will reality check any time I have a negative emotion (preferably right when I have it, but catch it after the fact if possible).
 If I see a mirror I will remember to go to it and examine my reflection.
Other:
 I will remember to continuously, especially at bed time, of my dream signs and to do a RC whenever I encounter them.
 I will use my mantra “I am dreaming” prior to going to sleep and after waking up from dreams at night.
 I will set my intent every night to wake up after my dreams, remember them, and make notes for my journal.
 I will keep a dream journal.
 I will review previous dreams, find places where I should have done a RC, imagine I did the RC, and visualize what I would have done next.
 After waking up during the night, I will repeat my mantra and set my intention to realize I am dreaming and become lucid.

This plan is something I can stick with in the long run. But, I need to see results. I will give it time and see if I can achieve my goal of consistently having 3+ LDs per week.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 30 Mar 2017 13:01

March 30, 2017

Day 54 of my LD experiment. No lucid dreams last night.

Yesterday went well. I stuck with my revised plan. My awareness of my emotional state and my reality was very good. I only lost focus a few times for more than 10-15 minutes while focusing on other things. I am back to feeling positive and optimistic. I know this new revised plan will take some time to move into my subconscious. This form of awareness is something I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. It is much easier than trying to be aware of all sensory (sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste) 100% of the time. I am just continuously scanning my current environment (external) for any signs that I am dreaming (which is like doing a continuous reality check) and continuously paying attention to my emotional state for any negative feelings. I am also actually having fun attempting to “will” things to happen. It isn’t just attractive women…I have been willing things to move (like a Jeti), willing myself to levitate, willing people to dance, etc.

I had one dream last night:

Dream: (*ES RC = emotional state reality check - this is where I should have done a RC) The first thing I remember is being outside of one of the grade schools I attended as a child (Meadow Brook Elementary) with Judie ( a woman I currently work with). We are both adults. We are waiting to be picked up by the school bus, but at some point I decide to walk home. I don’t remember the walk, but I know it was short. It is a nice summer day. I come to a corner lot and see what I know in my dream is my house. It is a very modern style. It is blocky. It is two stories tall with a flat roof. The second story is larger than the first story and it is square and the sides overhang the lower level which is also square. The house is stained a dark brown with white framed windows. There is a set of wooden stairs leading up to the side entrance on the second floor. I go up the stairs to the white entrance door and walk in. I entered into an open floor plan kitchen/dining/living room area. It is nicely furnished and very clean. There is a hall across from the door that I know leads to the bedrooms and bathroom. The walls in the living room are entirely made of glass to show a wonderful view of the outside (but it didn’t look this way from the outside). I walk toward the hall and open the first door on my right which leads to a stairway which goes down to the lower level. I go down the stairs and into an area which is an apartment. It his horribly dirty and there is old broken furniture everywhere. I know my wife is going to be very upset, which makes me upset (ES RC) because we were planning on renting this apartment. I turn to my left and go through another door which leads to an open room with an exposed cement floor. There is a glass door to my right which leads to a courtyard area. I move to the door and go outside. There is a patio style courtyard and in the middle is an old brown cloth couch with a young man sitting on it. I feel confused (ES RC) as to why someone would have a cloth couch outside because it would get ruined being exposed to rain and snow. Then my eyes are drawn to the man. He is very slim and has sunken cheeks so I can see his protruding cheek bones. He looks like he is starving. He is staring intently at me. I feel very uncomfortable with this situation, like he may attack me (ES RC). I turn and go back into my house. The room I just left has changed (I take no notice). The walls are painted bright white, it is well lit, and it has a light grey carpet. There are many people in the room, including my wife, dressed in workout cloths. Everyone suddenly gets into lines with space in between as the song “Rump Shaker” starts to play. I know we are going to do some kind of dance to the song. The music kicks on and everyone is waiting for the main lyrics to kick in. “Check baby check baby 1,2,3,4… Check baby check baby 1,2,3… Check baby check baby 1,2… Check baby check baby 1…” I decide to be funny and break out into the running man dance as soon as the main lyrics kick in. My wife, who is in front of me with her back to me, turns around and gives me a very dirty look. I feel like a jerk. (ES RC) I look around and everyone is looking at me disapprovingly. I feel like a complete A-Hole (ES RC). The dream fades and I wake up. (3:58 AM)

After the dream I stated my mantra and tried to drift off to sleep. It took a while and I woke up to my alarm and couldn’t recall any dream. I may have only been asleep for 10 minutes, so I’m not surprised.

Tonight I’m going to skip the sleep supplements all together.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 31 Mar 2017 12:32

March 31, 2017

Day 55 of my LD experiment. I did have a lucid dream last night.

Yesterday went well. I kept my awareness up or most of the day. I try to “will” things to happen often. I stopped to do my physical reality checks and then visualized what I would do if I were lucid in a dream. I reviewed my dreams before bed and I set my intent and repeated my mantras.

Last night was a fiasco. I am fasting so I did not eat dinner. Out of habit I took some supplement, some of which should not be taken on an empty stomach. My wife has some friends over and one of them is extremely loud. This persona stayed late. I had gone to bed and couldn’t fall asleep because of her loud voice. After she finally left, my wife came into the room, left, and returned several times. Needless to say, I got to sleep later than expected. Then, after my fist dream I began to have stomach pains from the supplements. I got up and drank some water several time but it took me over 2 hours to fall back to sleep. So, this morning I am exhausted because I only got about 3-4 hours of broken sleep. But on a good note I was rewarded with a lucid dream. This makes 5 for this month.

Dream 1: (I woke up after this dream with stomach issues and didn’t jot any notes. There was more to this dream that I can’t remember.) The first thing I remember is walking along a street in my town. I have a large blanket wrapped around me. It is late at night and I can see the orange street light lining the road. I see the house where a women (who I went to high school with, and she had a crush on me) grew up. I remember that recently she had hired a sky writer to propose to her boyfriend by writing “Will you marry me” in the sky. The boyfriend had rejected her offer and I knew she was very upset. But I realize it is too late at night for a visit. I turn to my right and there is a steep dirt hill which leads to where I am staying (apparently I am camping hear by). I climb the hill to a campsite. There is a small cabin and I walk over to it. I open the door and go inside. It is well lit. There is a single room with a single twin bed. My wife and ex-wife are both in the room and they both look like they did in their early 20’s. Both are wearing one of my white t-shirts. My wife says to me, “We are going to sleep in the bed. You will have to sleep on the floor.” (I don’t find any of this situation strange.) I nod. They get in the twin bed, with my wife behind my ex-wife so they are spooning. I cover them with a blanket which was at the foot of the bed. I then go over to the wall near the bed and lay down on the floor wrapped in my blanket. Suddenly my stomach begins to hurt. The dream fades and I wake up. (1:38 AM)

Dream 2:
Date: 3/31/17 (Friday 4:28 AM)
Dream Title: (LD #70) Flying Car. (**Lucid**)
Dream: (After being awake for at least 2 hours with stomach issues, I dozed off - WBTB) I find myself in my car driving on the main street of my town. It is dark outside and I know it is very late. I can clearly see the orange light from the street lights along the road. Brian (A man I currently work with) is in the passenger seat. I know that he agreed to come for a ride with me because I couldn’t get back to sleep. We are driving up a hill which leads to St. Joseph’s church (on the left). I was planning on going to see a man to whom I owe some money, but I realize it is too late at night. I glance at Brian and ask, “Where do you want to go now?” He turns to me and says, “Why don’t we go visit that woman from your dream last night?” The second he said the word dream I was lucid (this is a huge dream sign for me. Whenever I hear the word in real life, even when I’m barely paying attention, it triggers me to do a RC.) I can remember being in bed struggling to fall back to sleep a short time ago. I feel great at that moment and say, in a loud voice, “I’m Dreaming!!!” Then I say, “Hey, let’s make this car fly!” He looks at me with a puzzled expression. I say, “Just will the car to fly. I’ll show you.” I turn back to face the windshield and simply “will” the car off the ground. The front of the car lifts off the street first and then the back, so I am leaning back against the car seat. There is a very large maple tree in front of us (it must be late spring/early summer because the tree is covered in leaves). At my current angle I will go into the tree. I will the car to climb at a higher angle and the front of the car moves up until we are completely vertical. I can feel gravity pulling me against the back of my seat as I will the care to accelerate. I see no stars, just a dark overcast sky above. We are accelerating quickly and I can feel the G-Force growing. I am considering just going into space. The dream fades and I wake up (4:28 AM) (I was unable to fall back to sleep after this dream.)

So, for the LD: the word “Dream” is a huge dream sign for me. If I hear the work (or any iteration of the work) in real life, even if I’m not paying attention, it immediately triggers me to do a RC. Also, I was awake for over 2 hours before dozing off, so this was definitely a WBTB (wake back to bed) instance. But, I was happy with the fact that I was “Willing” the car to fly. This is the first time I’ve ever done that in a lucid dream.

The weekend is here so I have 2 nights where I don’t have to wake up at any specific time. I’m hoping I can have more LDs tonight and tomorrow night.

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 31 Mar 2017 12:50

Hi Sean...

I just wanna congratulate you on your LD success, AND for beating your monthly record. That's great news!

I had a couple of LD's myself last night which I'll tell you about later...

I don't feel like writing much at the moment, but I'm following your great diary!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 31 Mar 2017 17:56

Hey Beethoven! I had a feeling that you couldn't stay completely away. Thanks for the congrats and double congrats on having multiple LDs last night! I can't wait to hear about them.

I'm hoping for more LDs this weekend and shooting to beat 5 LDs in April.

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 31 Mar 2017 18:54

Hi Sean...

You probably won't hear much from me. Only to congratulate you etc. Or maybe tell you about anything great that's been happening to me.

I like to think that I had at least 2 LD's last night. The big question is... "Did I actually know I was dreaming???"

I was flying somewhere & I remember looking at a woman down below (haha that sounds misleading!) and she looked back with an expression that said... "What are you looking at!"

When I awoke I lay there wondering whether I actually knew that I was dreaming, i.e. was I lucid??? I've had flying dreams where I didn't seem aware, but this one seemed different.

I think I fell asleep thinking about it and had what seemed like another lucid dream...

I think I was in a hotel room with a woman (can't remember who she was) and she was trying to talk to me, and I kept telling her not to disturb me cos I was trying to stay lucid. I remember that feeling of feeling good cos I was lucid. At some point the maid came in and wanted to charge me extra cos I had 2 lucid dreams! WTF! It's possible that I'd gone from lucid to non lucid again??? It's all SO confusing!

I've got a feeling I could've had a 3rd LD cos I remember thinking that it had been a good night. I tell you, I don't know where my brain is when I'm in bed! I need to make more of an effort.

Good luck over the weekend!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 31 Mar 2017 21:22

Nice dreams. I believe you were probably lucid you just aren't remembering the part of the dream where you became lucid.

Beethoven wrote:I was flying somewhere & I remember looking at a woman down below (haha that sounds misleading!) and she looked back with an expression that said... "What are you looking at!"

Were you flying over Boston? That is the reaction you would get around where I live. :D

I have never flown in a non-lucid dream.

Beethoven wrote:I think I was in a hotel room with a woman (can't remember who she was) and she was trying to talk to me, and I kept telling her not to disturb me cos I was trying to stay lucid. I remember that feeling of feeling good cos I was lucid. At some point the maid came in and wanted to charge me extra cos I had 2 lucid dreams! WTF! It's possible that I'd gone from lucid to non lucid again??? It's all SO confusing!

You very well may have lost lucidity. I've had that happen before and it was incredibly frustrating.

So, did you wake up after these separate dreams and not jot any notes. I know that if I don't focus and make some notes I don't remember anything. I know I've lost 2 lucid dreams in the past, one where I thought I would remember it and went back to sleep. When I woke up I knew I had had a LD, but couldn't remember anything. The other I had a false awakening where I wrote some notes, and wen't back to sleep. In the morning I realized I had dreamed that I wrote notes and couldn't remember the dream.

You may need to get that small light and jot some notes.

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 31 Mar 2017 22:20

Hi Sean...

Because I'm going through hell in my waking life I've been going to bed and not trying to become lucid. I don't want to do anything that's gonna make me feel awake cos I'll just lie there thinking of bad things, so just try and sleep. It's typical that now I've stopped trying, I get lucid!

I haven't started writing my dreams down yet, but once I'm in a better frame of mind I'm definitely gonna make the effort.

Have a great lucidity weekend. I'll let you know if I get lucid.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”