Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sean Jacobs

Re: Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique

Postby Sean Jacobs » 06 Apr 2017 12:18

April 6, 2017

Day 60 of my LD experiment. No lucid dreams last night.

Yesterday went well with my experiment. I did the usual things. I paid more attention to being aware during conversations and when I was doing things that would normally distract me, like reading and typing.

I woke up from a dream last night, and never looked at the clock. I tried to capture any little bit of the dream so I could work my way back but it just slipped away from me. I then said my mantra 10 – 20 times and went back to sleep. It feel like I went into deep sleep first and then had my second dream, from which I awoke to my alarm. Because of the alarm and me fumbling with my phone to shut it off, I couldn’t remember as much detail as usual.

Dream: (I woke up to my alarm and had trouble remembering this dream) I am in a wooded area that I know is my yard. There is a relatively steep hill in front of me. There is about 6 inches of snow on the ground, yet I am not at all cold and I am wearing a t-shirt. There is a driveway behind me where my old car (the one I owned prior to my current car). I know that I am only about 16 years old. There is a short chubby man who is taking my car. I get in the back seat and hide on the floor. He gets in the car drives a short distance and enters a large cement parking garage. He gets out of the car. I decide I will just take the car back to my house. (Jump) I’m back in the wooded area. My brother is with me and he looks as he did in his 20’s. We are walking through the snow toward a cabin. (Jump) I am in my house (My current real life house) walking down the main hallway. Suddenly Sharron (my childhood friends sister who I hadn’t seen in probably 8-10 years until this past Saturday) walks out of the door directly to my right, startling me. She looks as she did when I saw her on Saturday. She says, “I’m so sorry!” My alarm startles me awake. (4:55 AM)

So, I have been doing a 46 hour fast (Health reasons not religious reasons) so my last meal was dinner on Tuesday and I won’t eat again until dinner tonight. I’ve done this before and found that the middle night I often have more issues with dream recall, which is interesting.

This morning I feel like I need a bit of a mental break. I will continue with my awareness but not with as much mental effort as I have been. I just want one day to relax a bit.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 04 Aug 2017 23:50

I've been off lucid dreaming for almost 4 months. I was burnt out. Then I had an unintentional, very brief, lucid dream on July 8th. Here is that dream:

Date: 7/8/17 (Sat 6:00 AM)
Dream Title: (Unintentional LD) Moving Stars (Brief Lucidity)
Dream: I am in my bedroom, in bed with my wife. I can see my comforter, dresser, walls and closet doors. However the ceiling is open and I can see the sky. It is not quite night or day. I can see clouds and blue sky but also stars. I am gazing at the stars. Suddenly the stars begin to move around like fireflies and I know that would never happen in reality. I’m lucid without a RC. I roll over to my wife with the intention of having sex. I wake up.

After this LD I started to pursue LDing again, but with much less intensity. All I am doing is questioning my reality throughout the day (stop, ask myself in my head if I'm dreaming, as myself where I am, and ask myself if my current situation makes sense). I am also stating my intention before I go to sleep and, if I wake up during the night, as I fall back to sleep. I'm taking it easy and hopefully I can stick with this plan for a year. Maybe If I can make this into a habit it will feed over to my dreams.

This morning I had another, very brief, lucid dream:

Date: 8/4/17 (Friday 5:05 AM – Work day)
Dream Title: City Backdrop Behind the Gold Course (Brief Lucidity)
Dream: (*Note: I woke up and looked at my phone at around 4:15 am. I rolled over repeated, “I’m dreaming” several times and dozed off.) I was having a dream where I found out that Jen was cheating on me. I was angry and broken hearted. I got to see the man and he was slim and at least 10 years older than me. For some reason I was walking with Jen and one of her female friends (who I don’t know in real life). We are walking up a hill in a suburban neighborhood in Worcester. I am distraught. I decide I am going to find that guy and kick his ass. I turn away from Jen and her friend and begin walking back down the hill. Something happens in an old parking lot, with tall grass growing out of many cracks in the asphalt and many rusty parking meters. Then I find myself walking up Upland Street, on the left side of the road right next to the golf course. I glance to my left and there is tall grass right along the edge of the road. The golf course looks normal, but on the far side I can see (through a haze) many tall reflective glass buildings like you would find in any major city. I turn back to looking up Upland Street but I realize something isn’t right. The center of Worcester (which I assumed was what I was seeing) can’t be seen from the golf course. I stop walking, turn and look at the city again. Now it no longer looks like real buildings. It looks like a backdrop (or a façade) of a city. It looks like someone cut out a huge piece of plywood in the shape of a city skyline with the building shapes painted black and the windows on the buildings painted yellow (like something you might see in a Broadway play/musical). For a moment I think that maybe the owner of the golf course put up that façade to provide more ambiance for the people golfing. But then I realize that that façade would have to actually be the size of real skyscrapers. I realize the ridiculousness of this and I am lucid without a reality check. Before I can take any action I wake up. I look at my phone and it is 5:05 am. I lay in bed for a while and then get up to get ready for work. Hopefully this is the start of my current plan working.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 05 Aug 2017 04:03

As I get older and the responsibilities get bigger, I often find myself dissociating into the reality we create for ourselves. Bills, relationships, cars, houses, loved ones, work, stress and even petty shit like worrying about unimportant things. During these autopilot phases, I find that an entire day can just fly by without even realizing.

I even have trouble practicing mindfulness and meditation. Dreaming is almost off the calendar during this, as I wake up and worry about something else other than what I was dreaming. What I've learned is, sometimes the reality checks aren't just good for dreaming, but good for keeping a grip on reality too.
Good luck,
Dream on.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Aug 2017 12:46

I agree DreamMann99. Being aware helps me to stay off of autopilot in my real life, which is always a good thing. It helps me to appreciate my awareness of my life.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Aug 2017 12:49

I've been doing fairly well with questioning my reality throughout the day. I'm trying to break away from times when I'm very focused, but it isn't easy. But, it does seem to be working in bringing that tiny bit of awareness into my dreams where I notice things that seem a bit off or don't seem to make sense. But that is what I am doing throughout the day; Asking, "Am I dreaming? Where am I? Does this situation make sense?" Then I try to remember what I've been doing for the last hour or two. I'm keeping this simple and hoping my ability to have LDs will increase over time.

Here is my latest LD:

Date: 8/8/17 (Monday 4:35 AM – Work day)
Dream Title: Ex Living in Basement (Brief low level Lucidity)
Dream: I overate last night and went to bed feeling too full. In my dream I am walking around a neighborhood which is a combination of the my childhood neighborhood, my late childhood neighborhood and my adult neighborhood. It just kept changing as I walked around. I was walking with Donna (from “That 70’s Show) and another woman who I knew in my dream but not in reality. At one point Donna tells me we have to go to the house where I used to live with my ex-wife. The house has been condemned and I need to check if anything I own is still in the house. In the dream this all makes sense (but in real life it most certainly does not). We walk a very short distance to the house, which looks nothing like the house I used to live in. The garage door is open and it is full of old junk. We walk in and there is an entrance to the basement to our right. The two ladies go in first and there is a dimly lit hallway in front of us and a white closed door on my left. We stop in the hall way and Donna is looking around in discussed at the horrible condition of the house. Something doesn’t “feel” right to me but I’m not sure what. I turn to the door on my left and open it. I see a small dimly lit room. There are windows on the right side of the room up high close to the ceiling which is just support boards you would find it any unfinished basement. There are dark red curtains over the windows blocking much of the light and giving the room a red tint. There is a “L” shaped couch against the back and right wall of the room, which is coved in a white sheet. My ex-wife is standing in the room waring a long white t-shirt which goes to her knees. She is overweight and has not aged well. I walk into the room and up to her. Things still feel “off” to me and I’m trying to figure out why. She smiles at me. I turn from her, walk out of this room and into the garage. I stop and look around at all the junk. I feel confused. I know something is wrong with this situation. Then it dawns on me that I must be dreaming, but I don’t follow up with a RC or engaging my senses; so my lucidity level is very low probably a 2 on a scale of 1-10. I walk back to the room where my ex is, walk up to her, embrace her and look into her eyes. She looks into my eyes and says, “I’ve missed you.” I know I’m dreaming and am considering having sex with her. I move my head down to kiss her and she responds accordingly. However I notice that her teeth look stained yellow. I pull my head back. She opens her eyes and has a hurt expression on her face. I realize what I’m doing is wrong because my actual wife would be angry with me for doing what I’m doing; even if it is just a dream. I push my ex away from me and turn to exit the room. The dream fades and I wake up.
Last edited by Sean Jacobs on 09 Aug 2017 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 09 Aug 2017 13:47

Another observation I've made, and added to my "lucid mindset" reality check.....

So today I follow these steps as much as I can throughout the day:
1. Ask in my mind "Am I Dreaming?"
2. Ask in my mind "Where am I?" and try to remember how I got here.
3. Ask in my mind "Does my current situation make sense?" and look around to assess my situation for strange "dream like" things.

I realize that most dreams rarely exceed 1 hours in length and in many cases they are under 30 minutes. So, I am going incorporate a new step.

4. Try to remember back to the last time I was getting ready to fall asleep. I had a LD where I could remember back to where I had woken up during the night and was trying to go back to sleep and it was only about 15 minutes prior to the dream I was currently in.

HunterClash

Postby HunterClash » 10 Aug 2017 12:11

my very very best advice to you is to HILD. Look up HILD lucid, and click the one on the dreamviews forum. NOT SHILD but HILD. Hypnosis induced lucid dreaming. its almost identical to mild, but it's a little more awesome :lol:
LD: 6
1: 4/9/15 - The Plane
2: 7/11/16 - The Voice
3: 8/7/17 - The Self Suggesting Dream
4: 8/17/17 - The Snake
5: 8/19/17 - The Super Speed(Fail)
6: 8/26/17 - The Ball Pool

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 10 Aug 2017 12:38

HunterClash wrote:my very very best advice to you is to HILD. Look up HILD lucid, and click the one on the dreamviews forum. NOT SHILD but HILD. Hypnosis induced lucid dreaming. its almost identical to mild, but it's a little more awesome :lol:

Thanks HC. I went over to dreamviews and couldn't locate the post on HILD. Would you mind giving me a brief overview?

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 10 Aug 2017 12:51

Sean Jacobs wrote:Another observation I've made, and added to my "lucid mindset" reality check.....

So today I follow these steps as much as I can throughout the day:
1. Ask in my mind "Am I Dreaming?"
2. Ask in my mind "Where am I?" and try to remember how I got here.
3. Ask in my mind "Does my current situation make sense?" and look around to assess my situation for strange "dream like" things.

I realize that most dreams rarely exceed 1 hours in length and in many cases they are under 30 minutes. So, I am going incorporate a new step.

4. Try to remember back to the last time I was getting ready to fall asleep. I had a LD where I could remember back to where I had woken up during the night and was trying to go back to sleep and it was only about 15 minutes prior to the dream I was currently in.

Quick Update: After thinking about my steps (on my drive home from work yesterday) and reviewing my lucid dream journal I realize that my some of my steps are redundant. In 90+% of my LDs it was the situation that triggered my lucidity. In almost all cases I questioned reality because something in the situation didn't make sense to me. So, asking if I'm dreaming and where I am is redundant. Now I just ask myself if my current situation makes sense and look around to determine if anything seams strange or "dream like". The remembering back to the last time I was getting ready to fall asleep is more of a "non-physical" reality check.

I believe keeping things as simple as possible will provide better results.

HunterClash

Postby HunterClash » 10 Aug 2017 12:58

no worries! :)
link:
dreamviews.com/wiki/HILD-Hypnosys-induced-lucid-dream

Tip: don't fall asleep on the first step like i did last night :roll:
LD: 6
1: 4/9/15 - The Plane
2: 7/11/16 - The Voice
3: 8/7/17 - The Self Suggesting Dream