Occult Dream Theory

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
DreamerMan99

Re: Occult Dream Theory

Postby DreamerMan99 » 07 Apr 2017 02:03

Domintheos wrote:Got it, what I find interesting about your "disposition"--is that you literally believe yourself to be a program that's executing itself....and once it's "machine" ceases to function properly; you'll disappear back into the "pool" of "code" you came from. So when you feel "hatred" or "love"--what you're saying is that it isn't really "you", but it's the data your machine is translating and executing? Please do explain, are you real or are you just a program within a machine?

Here's the answer that you and Lucide have clearly been anticipating.
My guess is that you saw a post where I made an analogy comparing the human brain to a computer. No, that was naught but an analogy. Yes, we are similar to computers running a program, but we are not literally computers running a program.

our "disposition"--is that you literally believe yourself to be a program that's executing itself....and once it's "machine" ceases to function properly; you'll disappear back into the "pool" of "code" you came from.

What I believe is that we are biological machines in a sense. Nature, through evolution and natural selection, has clearly selected for the most efficient species at reproduction. The perfect organic machine, one that is self replicating and self maintaining. You could compare our proteins to the coding, and our DNA to the program. Chemicals have a tendency to react, and through the chaos of the natural world, the reaction between many organic compounds has provided us with what we currently are today. But in no means do you return to a "pool of code" or whatever. It's clear to me that we will return to the state which we were before we were born... an inconceivable nothingness, non existence in a way none of us can perceive. Do you remember the year 1854? No. And we won't remember the year 2163 either, because none of us will be around until then.

So when you feel "hatred" or "love"--what you're saying is that it isn't really "you", but it's the data your machine is translating and executing?

Obviously it is me feeling emotions. Everything you perceive is you. But yes, emotions are just the result of a chemical being released in our brain. The evolutionary advantage to emotions is that creatures who experienced emotions were probably more likely to take care of their own species due to sympathy, and made them form closer bonds with their children and mate. This in turn made those more attached to their kin more likely to put their lives on the line for them, and so the trait of emotion was selected for the most successful survival of a species. But by no means does this invalidate them. Emotions are just as real as anything else.

Please do explain, are you real or are you just a program within a machine?

Yes, I am real. Even is I was literally a program within a machine, I would still be real. A computer is a program within a machine, and it is still real. We are biological machines led by both our DNA and subconscious. "you", the consciousness, ego, whatever you want to call it is really not anywhere near as in charge as you think. We are led by our DNA, our basic functions like breathing, metabolizing, homeostasis, digestion are controlled by the brainstem, pons, midbrain, medulla, which has almost no interference with the conscious mind, the "you", (the ego (although I kind of dislike this term. Psychology is bullshit and Freud was a nutcase, ego is misused far too often on this forum)). Our bodies do a lot of shit without our permission. In the end, our perception makes us, and that in itself is just a sense. All senses are products of the brain. Which is why we are our brains.
I hope my explanation was thorough enough for you.
Good luck,
Dream on.

Domintheos

Postby Domintheos » 07 Apr 2017 02:10

Dreamerman99,

Your post was most definitely thorough, and I can agree with everything that you've said. It's a fact that polarity exists, am I wrong? We can agree to disagree, opposing perspectives will always clash; both being wrong, while being correct at the same time. Good luck with everything man.
Lucid Dreaming is Life.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Apr 2017 02:19

Domintheos, no self is found in the brain. No homunculus of any kind. The Cartesian theatre is obsolete. Also, the sense of self or ego doesn't control anything. You believe you are free to choose and control but the truth is that the unconscious quicksands of your lizard brain dictate without your awareness. You are the last to know and then come to believe you make those decisions that you apparently chose to make.

Have a look at experiments like those of Benjamin Libet et al and then come and talk to me. ;)

Here is a link on the illusion of free will:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15086
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Domintheos

Postby Domintheos » 07 Apr 2017 02:31

Summerlander wrote:Domintheos, no self is found in the brain. No homunculus of any kind. The Cartesian theatre is obsolete. Also, the sense of self or ego doesn't control anything. You believe you are free to choose and control but the truth is that the unconscious quicksands of your lizard brain dictate without your awareness. You are the last to know and then come to believe you make those decisions that you apparently chose to make.

Have a look at experiments like those of Benjamin Libet et al and then come and talk to me. ;)

Here is a link on the illusion of free will:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15086

Sure, i'll check it out--and thanks for the link. Ever heard of the phrase "Ignorance is bliss"; well in that case i'll never be happy again :D . My "minds" all made up brotha', I can agree to disagree with you as well. "Gnosis" is the only proof I need, the only truth I "realize."
Lucid Dreaming is Life.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 07 Apr 2017 06:51

we won't remember the year 2163 either, because none of us will be around until then.

That is so unfair! I want to be there when they release that new Nintendo virtual reality system, so I can be the first in line to try it out. Then, even if I was there.....darn those consequences of... aging. I'd be walking like a sloth to try to get to that virtual reality system.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Apr 2017 12:16

You're welcome to your delusions, Domintheos. :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Domintheos

Postby Domintheos » 07 Apr 2017 14:49

Summerlander wrote:You're welcome to your delusions, Domintheos. :D

Indeed-- and so are you. It'd be best if you'd stick to your corner, and i'll stick to mine; there's no point in arguing back and forth, it's not worth my time. I'm interested in discussion with people of like-mind, and/or debate with people of sound-mind and good intent; I'd much rather not engage in the toxicity that is your demeanor and disposition, move along now...
Lucid Dreaming is Life.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 07 Apr 2017 16:46

Summerlander wrote:You're welcome to your delusions.

At least it's way better than those paranoia episodes I have where I start believing everyone is out to hurt or attack me and I end up going to my animals for comfort instead.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Apr 2017 20:15

Domintheos wrote:

Indeed-- and so are you. It'd be best if you'd stick to your corner, and i'll stick to mine; there's no point in arguing back and forth, it's not worth my time. I'm interested in discussion with people of like-mind, and/or debate with people of sound-mind and good intent; I'd much rather not engage in the toxicity that is your demeanor and disposition, move along now...

Like-minded people? You mean people who will just nod and agree with whatever you say? Okay. Good luck progressing that way. :D

- Padmasambhava

Domintheos

Postby Domintheos » 10 Apr 2017 19:43

Summerlander wrote:
Domintheos wrote:

Like-minded people? You mean people who will just nod and agree with whatever you say? Okay. Good luck progressing that way. :D

Progression? I don't base my "progression" on the thoughts and opinions of others, my progress is objective and experienced in first person--the complete opposite of your science gods method of "discovery", which is purely subjective. Of-course I want to build and hear from like-minded people--individuals having experience in abstract realities. Your conversation is shallow and boring, I'd much rather converse with people with open-minds--enjoy your box.
Lucid Dreaming is Life.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”