Hypnogogic Imagery vs Hynogocic Sounds

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Hypnogogic Imagery vs Hynogocic Sounds

Postby HAGART » 25 Jul 2012 20:13

I've seen the term H.I. used a lot on the forum which is short for hypnogogic imagery.
But there can also be hynogogic sounds as well and there is no abbreviation for that, or at least it is not used very often.
This morning as I recalled my lucid dreams ( I was lucid for over an hour ) I counted 9 times in which I was in the hypnogogic state. 4 of those didn't have much imagery, but were purely based on sounds. There was one time I heard voices as if a television was left on. Two others times I heard music, it was a soft jazz and I was able to manipulate the music. One I was lucid flying over a street in a wooded area just listening to the music and the other one led to me being on a stage playing the banjo very poorly. (but the crowd loved it. Even at the time I thought theses people are idiots!) And one time I heard a noise. It sort of sounded like the screeching sound of a train braking in a subway and I thought, OK, I will now appear in a subway and I did.

Going from that state to a lucid dream can still baffle me. It can sometimes be so easy like it was this morning, but other times it eludes me. But SOUND can lead you to a lucid dream even if there are no visuals. I looked it up and even Rebecca wrote about it on this very site. But what would be the abbreviated form for it, or should we just mention hypnogogia in general without insisting that it must always be visual? (Of course the other 5 times were visual and is most prominent for me.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

torakrubik

Re: Hypnogogic Imagery vs Hynogocic Sounds

Postby torakrubik » 27 Jul 2012 22:19

I experience Hypnogogic sounds too...it is especially stimulating for me as i have synaesthesia, which in short means i visualize, to some degree, every sound i here. This provides me with plenty of HI too, and could be the reason for several of my WILD successes.
Dreaming is my drug

HAGART

Re: Hypnogogic Imagery vs Hynogocic Sounds

Postby HAGART » 28 Jul 2012 02:23

The two go hand in hand. But sometimes one dominates the other doesn't it?
I've seen images flash before my eyes in complete silence and heard sounds/music in complete darkness, but in the end, the two come together in harmony and you just 'POP' into a 3D world. Then you just need to touch things to awaken your tactile sensations and smell and taste things. (I still forget to smell and taste. I bet my dreams would be far more vivid if I focus on awakening those senses at the beginning.) But that's another story.....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”