GoFundMe Lucid Dreaming PhD

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LucidResearcher

GoFundMe Lucid Dreaming PhD

Postby LucidResearcher » 12 Apr 2017 12:35

Dear Lucid Dreamers,

Dear Lucid Dreamers,

Hello there! My name is Achilleas Pavlou and I'm a 1st year PhD Neuropsychology student at the University of Essex who is fascinated by lucid dreams. Lucid dreaming is the rare occurring, but trainable phenomenon whereby a dreamer is aware they are dreaming, thus in a lucid dream it is possible to have increased reflective insight, such as availability of autobiographic memory sources and the ability to CONTROL the dream! During my PhD i will be conducting research on lucid dreams, utilizing neuroscientific methods such as using or developing technology to induce lucid dreaming reliabily and easily as well as finding means through which researchers can engage in active communication and/ implicitly/explicitly bias dream content, with the aim of providing increased experimental control. The goal is to enhance the potential of using lucid dreaming as a therapeutic tool (e.g in the treament of disorders such as PTSD), provide means through which memory/learning can be improved and to study human cognition and consciousness. I am hoping that by the end of my PhD i will be able to find the exact methods to reliably and easily induce lucid dreams to someone who is inexperienced in lucid dreams!!

Neuroimaging studies have shown that, while lucid dreaming, frontotemporal brain regions exhibit increased gamma frequency activation during REM sleep when compared to normal dreams. Following these neuroimaging results, Voss et al (2014) used transcranial Alternate current stimulation (tACS) to increase dream lucidity, a non-invasive means by which alternating electrical current applied through the skin and scull entrains in a frequency-specific fashion the neural oscillations of the underlying brain. Through tACS frontotemporal gamma frequency stimulation during REM sleep, Voss et al (2014) reliably increased lucidity to participants inexperienced in lucid dreams. Consequently i am currently looking into neuromodulation methods of lucid dream induction after Voss et al (2014) results.
Specifically, i am using a prototype version of LucidCatcher, a wearable commercial neuromodulating device that automatically initiates tACS stimulation once REM sleep is detected.

Sadly, last April my father passed away from cancer while i was completing my MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience, with me returning to England to continue my Masters two weeks after his funeral with coursework deadlines, exam and a dissertation to complete. My dedication and love for academia and personal perseverance led me to to achieve a 70% in my MSc, despite extreme sorrow for the loss of my father.

Currently my Phd is being financed through my mother and through working as a Graduate Lab assistant. Without external funding assistance, it is becoming extremely financially difficult for my mother to pay for my fees and for me to pursue a PhD, which is vital to my career goals.

The tution fees for each year of the PhD is £4150. Any donations towards my fees would be greatly appreciated. Pending your approval i will also make sure i mention you in my Aknowledgement section of my PhD thesis

Here is the link of my gofundme page

https://www.gofundme.com/LucidDreamingPhD

Additional:

I'm building a blog about my research at https://luciddreamresearch.wordpress.com/ where i will be posting frequent updates on my research.

I am looking for any highly experienced lucid dreamers who are willing to come to the University of Essex to be tested at the sleep lab. If you are interested please email me at apavlo@essex.ac.uk

lucidé

Re: GoFundMe Lucid Dreaming PhD

Postby lucidé » 12 Apr 2017 16:33

That's too bad you cannot just sign up for vocational rehab like you can in the USA. If you could, they'd help pay for part of the classes for you.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

amyramoon

Re: GoFundMe Lucid Dreaming PhD

Postby amyramoon » 22 Apr 2017 16:51

Hi Achilleas,

I am impressed by what you are setting out to do. It takes a lot to stand up for what you see could be extremely helpful from a therapeutic perspective and make it mainstream through careful, verifiable research methods. I wish you the best and hope you succeed in showing more people to value what you feel passionate about. I do keep a blog with my thoughts, but I realize I haven't developed my lucid dreaming ability to be more fully involved in the simulations, and I believe if I tried, the simulators would be ecstatic to have me direct the show, seeing as I'm who I am: the self that interacts with the real world. I hope one day that more people can see how unbelievably fantastic it is to lucid dream and that they realize what it means for the nature of the mind and how everything ties together. Theories can be set forth, but they must be developed and tested in real scenarios to remain worthy of consideration. If I saw that I was able and it was a realistic option for me, I'd set out to do exactly what you are setting out to do, but I suppose since I am not, I'll live vicariously through you. However, not until I see more of what you post in your blog about your research will I be willing to fund you. What you wrote here is a proposal of what you set out to do. I want to see what you will make of it and how it will be unique. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and hearing about your insights!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”