Awareness guardian

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Hiimmj15

Awareness guardian

Postby Hiimmj15 » 11 Jun 2017 02:59

hi there so I thought of something I've never read or heard about before and I was wondering if it would be legitemitaly possible or not. The idea is, in a dream, to maintain awareness,
we obviously have our normal methods , maintain activity, spin around feel surroundings, etc.
But I wondered to myself, what if we could manifest a sort of Awareness guardian, a dream character that could alert us to when we were slipping back into a normal dream, losing awareness of the fact that we are dreaming.
I'm still in the process of trying to learn to lucid dream otherwise I'd try it. Opinions?

LearningToDream

Re: Awareness guardian

Postby LearningToDream » 11 Jun 2017 20:39

I guess it's possible but It wouldn't work every time. I read someone on this site did that and the dream character did exactly what he asked but he didn't become aware/more aware. When he asked If he had done it the dream character asked "I did but you never become aware." :D

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jun 2017 16:23

All dream characters are awareness stealers. You cannot rely on them. I suspect they play a role in multiple personality disorders whereby they get a chance to take over during the waking state. Theoretically, they can represent other personalities which only have power in the mentally healthy during their sleep. When we lucid dream, we steal their 'elan vitale' and hence why they often appear to be mannequin-like. But beware of treating them like sentient beings in a lucid dream lest you become the clueless 'mannequin' ...
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Hiimmj15

Postby Hiimmj15 » 13 Jun 2017 22:22

LearningToDream wrote:I guess it's possible but It wouldn't work every time. I read someone on this site did that and the dream character did exactly what he asked but he didn't become aware/more aware. When he asked If he had done it the dream character asked "I did but you never become aware." :D

Awesome! I thought so, although I figured relying on them totally would be a mistake, you still gotta do your part and such. Thanks for the info!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jun 2017 22:44

I warned you ... :twisted:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

LearningToDream

Postby LearningToDream » 14 Jun 2017 21:05

No problem :lol:

thebigdreamer20

Postby thebigdreamer20 » 07 Jul 2017 06:08

Summerlander wrote:All dream characters are awareness stealers. You cannot rely on them. I suspect they play a role in multiple personality disorders whereby they get a chance to take over during the waking state. Theoretically, they can represent other personalities which only have power in the mentally healthy during their sleep. When we lucid dream, we steal their 'elan vitale' and hence why they often appear to be mannequin-like. But beware of treating them like sentient beings in a lucid dream lest you become the clueless 'mannequin' ...

Wait what? You really believe that? Based on what? You think that their are multiple personalities living inside our minds, and worse they have ulterior motives and want to take over, and so they try to manipulate our dreams?

The thing is if this isn't true, but you believe it is, then that's how dream characters will act for you. Dreams work based on your expectations.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Jul 2017 00:39

I take your point. That's another avenue that needs to be explored. From my initial experience, whenever I became lucid in a dream, I noticed that my sudden clarity turned lively characters into mannequin-like forms. So my conclusion was derived a posteriori it seems. But, of course, what if I already had that perspective on a subconscious level which manifested in dreams? So your point is certainly valid. I spoke theoretically, of course. I don't really know what the truth is about dreams. But a fact remains: there are cases of multiple personality disorder which reflects a fragmented mind of conflicting sub-personalities. Lucid dreaming could potentially give us a glimpse of what a fragmented psyche could be like.

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”