My Journey.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Richard Griffin

My Journey.

Postby Richard Griffin » 19 Jun 2017 09:59

Hi Folks,

And thanks to Rebecca for all your good work.

For newbies I can recommend reading the articles on her site www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com

I am relatively new to forum life, having been involved in only one other forum previous to here, so please excuse me in advance for any clumsiness.

I will use this space to record my journey toward getting a handle on this. Don’t expect juicy details or graphic descriptions though, this is about the technicalities of becoming lucid and becoming more proficient at it, the details of that, mostly.

My story, briefly, is that I have been experimenting with Lucid Dreaming for a fortnight or so and am able to become lucid (more accurately, and more often, semi-lucid) almost every night just from keeping a journal, practicing reality checks in the day and setting some pre-sleep intention.

All good so far, yeah?

I’m obviously a complete novice so my attempts at evoking stability and maintaining lucidity are... well I’ve had mixed results: mostly fairly average (as you’d imagine) but with some notable successes, also.

The trouble is that since I began the process I’ve rarely felt properly rested.

I wake fairly often but that’s not unusual for me, even with non-lucid dreams. I can usually get back to sleep fairly quickly, and in fact waking is helpful because I often WILD this way. I seem to wake more often from lucid dreams because I'm having trouble staying calm and because, despite my intention, I tend to get distracted by sex. I know: typical bloke! Thing is, I'm trying to avoid this (maybe trying too much?) as I feel like the lucid dreamscape holds many more additional benefits than simply being a playground (though that, too, of course!). Besides, the sexual excitement tends to wake me and that just means I have to WILD* back into it.

Anyhow, last few days I read some great articles and picked up Waggoner & McCready’s 'Lucid Dreaming – Plain and Simple' so have a lot of great tools about maintaining stability and deepening lucidity, etc. (I don’t have high expectations at this stage, my intention being to simply practice maintaining lucidity and evoking clarity, at least until I become more proficient).

But, and here’s the kicker: I’m feeling so sleep deprived that I’m scatty and forgetful and cranky almost as much as when I had a daily pot-habit! The last couple nights it has felt to me that this PFC deficiency is hindering my attempts to even perform basic tasks once lucid (like grounding myself, or evoking clarity or whatever), I simply forget or get distracted.

I don’t want to give up on LD but I’m hoping that someone else has had a similar experience and can tell me that it improved once they honed their techniques. Or if someone could offer some advice?

My plan at this stage (to see if I can’t feel more rested) is three-fold.

1. I will continue with journaling but lay off the reality checks, pre-sleep intention or purposeful WILDS for a week or so. Essentially: not chasing Lucidity.

2. If I do become lucid by chance, I figure I may as well practice stabilising and grounding (if I can remember to!), but just briefly with the intention to let the lucidity slide soon after.

3. If lucid then, before I let it slide, I intend to ask the dream “What can I do to feel more rested though this!?” (again, that's if I can remember to!). If I get a good answer I will try to wake up while I remember it, if not I’ll revert to step two.

This should be very interesting, either way.

Can anyone imagine being lucid or semi-lucid and trying not to maintain it? The reverse psychology might well have us more lucid than ever!

Anyhow, once again, any feedback at all would be much appreciated.

Good best of luck with your own adventures. I look fwd to sharing the journey with you all.

Peace.

* For absolute newbies, WILD stands for Wake Induced Lucid Dream.
Last edited by Richard Griffin on 19 Jun 2017 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Griffin

Re: My Journey.

Postby Richard Griffin » 19 Jun 2017 11:48

Okay, so two nights have passed since I penned my first journal entry.

The first night was interesting only because I woke with zero dream recall. This is most unusual and I don’t remember it happening since I stopped smoking pot daily (about three months ago). For those that don’t know, pot can have the effect (on many) of inhibiting dream recall to a greater or lesser extent. If you're a smoker and wanting to get lucid it may pay to experiment with cutting down.

Anyhow I also had a lot of trouble getting to sleep that night, which is also unusual for me. Possibly I was over-tired but I had had an exciting and stimulating day – my mind was very active.

Last night, despite having practiced no reality checks for 48hrs and with no intention to purposefully become lucid, my recent nightly pattern repeated itself: waking from a couple of standard dreams early on, followed by a lucid epic in the second half of the night.

This night it started with a DILD.*

If you read my first post you may recall that I have been having trouble feeling fully rested so, in order to find out if it’s the Lucidity causing that, I intended to lay off it for a bit, but needed a contingency plan for when I became lucid by accident. I figured that, in such a case, I may as well practice stabilising and grounding, if I can remember to, then to ask the dream “What can I do to feel more rested though this!?” but, regardless of the ‘response’, my intention was to allow the lucidity to slide, soon after.

So much for plans!

I became lucid (okay, semi-lucid**) and immediately started flying. I remembered to practice some groundings:

- watching my hands
- reminding myself verbally that this is a dream,
- rubbing my hands together
- slapping my face
- basic math sums
- touching dream objects.

all of which helped enhance and maintain the lucidity, more or less.

But it was a while before I remembered to ask ‘the dream’ about all this tiredness I’ve been experiencing and I even had to catch myself from being distracted by sex a couple times before I got around to it (sex is no good for me, partly because the excitement wakes me, but really... there's so much to learn and explore, do I really want to give my basest desires their full reign?)

The first time I asked 'the dream' about all this tiredness, about what can be done, I got no response at all and a lil’ later when I asked again, I heard my own voice tell me there was nothing to be done about that at all. I viewed/perceived this disembodied voice as ‘my subconscious’, it went on to give me a hard time (which is about right!) but I’m well aware that we project our beliefs and expectations, both conscious and unconscious, onto our perceived realities and, in the dreamscape in particular, this has a very notable effect. So who knows how much store I should place in that interaction?

I intend to explore more of this ‘Communicating directly with my Subconscious’ in the future to see where it leads, but I will practice simply stabilising first, I think.

I woke up from being lucid many times but was having such fun I conveniently 'forgot' my intention to let the lucidity slide (and to avoid sex) so I continued to wake up, WILDing back into it and pursuing my adventures (mostly just allowing the dream to unfold and exploring that) for what felt like hours.

Oh, I did have some luck manifesting a very cool bicycle and taking that for a spin. :)

Anyway!

My new plan is this.

I will continue on my journey, practicing reality checks and journaling my experiences to see what I can learn, with the goal of getting better at stabilising the dream. Hopefully if I’m more stable in the dream-sphere I will wake less often and feel more rested.

I will set pre-sleep intentions as follows.

Once Lucid, I will practice only three stabilising and grounding techniques for the next week. I choose three only, so that it’s less to remember. I choose One Week in order to give them a good go, see if I can get better at them and see how well they work for me.

a) Rubbing of hands together
b) Reminding myself “This is a dream”

These first two are fairly easy to remember and seem reasonably effective.

c) Regulating my breath, slow deep and steady. This is not an idea I’ve seen suggested anywhere as yet, but if it works, it may have the added bonus of stabilizing my mood, keeping me calm, in turn stabilizing the dream futher.

And to SEX I will say: “Thanks! But no thanks” (if I can at all help it. I'm such a slut, sometimes, no kidding! In my dreams, anyway.... :lol: ).

See how that goes, ay?

Once again, my Lucidity is tenuous and shallow at this stage, so I can’t always remember to follow through on my intentions. I will take Waggoner and McCready’s advice though, and write out my intentions again just before sleep, to see if that helps.

Wish me luck!

As I send good best of luck to all of youse. :)

I hope to find time to interact with your own journals more in the near future.

Peace. 8-)

Gypsy Moth

Postby Gypsy Moth » 19 Jun 2017 22:23

The thing with lucid dreaming is that it takes energy; unlike normal dreaming. If you have sex, expect to be even more drained. Essentially, the spirit remains aware like in waking life and to do this is like living two lives with the same limited energy. You will also notice that if your waking life is hectic or stressful, lucid dreaming will drop right off. But then, for me, it picks right up if I get a few weeks of relaxation. Sex, digestion and stress eat up most of our energy. The body won't let itself waste away, so it checks the lucid dreaming if other demands are too much.

Richard Griffin

Postby Richard Griffin » 20 Jun 2017 11:08

Gypsy Moth wrote:The thing with lucid dreaming is that it takes energy; unlike normal dreaming. If you have sex, expect to be even more drained. Essentially, the spirit remains aware like in waking life and to do this is like living two lives with the same limited energy. You will also notice that if your waking life is hectic or stressful, lucid dreaming will drop right off. But then, for me, it picks right up if I get a few weeks of relaxation. Sex, digestion and stress eat up most of our energy. The body won't let itself waste away, so it checks the lucid dreaming if other demands are too much.

Thanks for that, Gypsy Moth. It's good to know. It would be nice if I could turn the Lucidity off and on with more... aplomb. I might have to think about simply resting from the whole idea until it drops off if I continue to feel this tired, coming back to it when I'm rested.

Hmmmm. Food for thought!

Richard Griffin

Postby Richard Griffin » 20 Jun 2017 11:10

Day Four

Well not a great deal to report, unfortunately. I had good recall on a couple of non-lucid adventures during the first half of the night. When I woke from the second one I tried to WiLD my back into to, but no joy. Then I had another bout of insomnia that lasted through till what felt like five minutes before the alarm went off.

Bugger it!

This is most unusual. I have had issues with insomnia in the past but these days, as I eat well, exercise and practice sensible sleep hygiene it’s rarely an issue. Twice in the space of a week is a concern. If it doesn’t settle down I will have to rethink my approach to this whole LD trip. It will be sad if I can’t sort it. I’m really hoping that with practice things will settle, considerably.

Tonight I will pop 25mg Doxylamine Succinate, an anti-histamine that makes me a lil’ drowsy… only because I’m feeling awfully sleep deprived by now and I’m hoping that it will help.

I’ll pick-up some Valerian or something next time I’m in town.

Okay, okay… blah, blah, blah. ;)

In debriefing my dreamscapades (a process I highly recommend) I found that there were plenty of clues last night that should’ve caused me to stop and think. Flying, for one: I was even thinking about LD while on the wing but still didn’t quite twig… silly me. :roll:

I’ve been doing state checks again today, perhaps that will help.

Oh, well, back to the plan outlined yesterday, only tonight I’ll spend a lil’ more time on my pre-sleep intentions.

Good best of luck to you folks!

Peace.

Richard Griffin

Postby Richard Griffin » 21 Jun 2017 09:49

Day Five

Nowt to report, neither.

I had a pretty good, long sleep but with no Lucid adventures and very little recall.

Try again! :)

Richard Griffin

Postby Richard Griffin » 22 Jun 2017 13:16

Day Five

Well, I had another night with some Lucid moments but very little presence of mind, so I wasn't able to implement my intentions. Also my recall was scatty as. I'm going to have a break for a while, I need to concentrate on getting proper rest for a while. :-(

I will post here if I happen to have any random lucid experiences worth noting but otherwise I won't be back regular until I get rested and try again.

Good best of luck to youse!

Peace.

naturespirit

Postby naturespirit » 30 Jun 2017 02:42

Sounds like fun!
Proffesor of Oneiromancy

Earn Points!
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19752

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”