I need an architect

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
WildCat23

I need an architect

Postby WildCat23 » 29 Jul 2012 21:24

Not really.

What I really need is a good solid reality check. I used to do one whenever I would stand/sit down, but that got way to complicated. Too many times and to unreliable. Many times in LD's I stand the whole time. I've tried using my watch, but it doesn't work for me. Also, I don't wear my watch during the summer. I've tried doing one when things seem weird, but how do you define weird? If anyone knows of a good realty check to do whenever something happens, could you please post it? I think it's the cause of me not lucid dreaming.

Thanks
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

Denmonation

Re: I need an architect

Postby Denmonation » 30 Jul 2012 08:06

I ask myself the following questions:

"Where am I?" -- very simple
"Is this the normal room? Have I been here before?" -- if I'm the computer typing this, I don't expect to be in some random place like a 5-star restaurant I've never been too. I ask if his is where I normally type stuff.
"Why am I here?" -- if I'm at a baseball game doing homework, that's pretty nonsensical
"How did I get here? -- do I remember walking into this room?
"Is it currently football/basketball/baseball season?" -- if I'm watching sports and it's July and college football is on, I realize it's a dream.

If I'm driving:
"Have I been on this road before?" -- straightforward question
"Do the roads go where they usually go?" -- if I'm driving on a certain road and all of a sudden I turn onto a road that in reality is across town, I recognize it's a dream.
"Where am I going?" -- if I find myself driving and not realizing where exactly I'm going, it's a dream.

Then I use my phone's clock to reality check (or the digital clock in the car when I drive) and also examine my hands.

While it may seem a bit longer than most reality checks, it's got a much better chance of triggering your LD if you ask all these questions (doesn't have to be these exact questions, you can tailor them to whatever you do. If you're playing a musical instrument, check the sheet music to see if the notes make sense, or if you actually have that music written down).

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 30 Jul 2012 20:48

Ok, so I should do one if I walk into a new room? What if I'm outside?
~2112

Slip

Postby Slip » 31 Jul 2012 02:48

WildCat23 wrote:Ok, so I should do one if I walk into a new room? What if I'm outside?

How much time do you spend outside? If you spend the majority of your time inside, don't worry about it. :)
I find it most helpful to simply ask myself if I'm dreaming, or to just repeat to myself "I'm dreaming" throughout the day. Every time I walk through a door or go up/down stairs, etc.

Here's a list of reality checks that you can do: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/reality-checks.html

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 31 Jul 2012 14:35

Slip wrote:
WildCat23 wrote:Ok, so I should do one if I walk into a new room? What if I'm outside?

How much time do you spend outside? If you spend the majority of your time inside, don't worry about it. :)
I find it most helpful to simply ask myself if I'm dreaming, or to just repeat to myself "I'm dreaming" throughout the day. Every time I walk through a door or go up/down stairs, etc.

Here's a list of reality checks that you can do: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/reality-checks.html

Problem is that I spend a large portion of my time inside, but when I'm dreaming, much of the time I'm outside. Also, It's not the doing the reality check, it's the reason to do it. I'm in need of a good reason. If you know what I mean.
~2112

Auditore

Postby Auditore » 31 Jul 2012 16:17

I know what you mean, well, I do more reality checks outside thinking : " if this is a dream, at any time, something bad could happen and I don't want it , maybe check if I'm dreaming so I can avoid being in some delicate situations"
Is this a good reason for you to check the reality ? let me know :?

Slip

Postby Slip » 31 Jul 2012 16:47

WildCat23 wrote:
Slip wrote:

Problem is that I spend a large portion of my time inside, but when I'm dreaming, much of the time I'm outside. Also, It's not the doing the reality check, it's the reason to do it. I'm in need of a good reason. If you know what I mean.

Oh! You can probably just do it whenever you remember, as long as you do it frequently.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”