Experience With Nose-Pinch RC

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rammschnev

Experience With Nose-Pinch RC

Postby Rammschnev » 25 Jun 2017 20:59

Hello, all.

Last night, I was in a dream in which I fell asleep into several other dreams. During this process, for the first time, something (I wish I could remember what exactly, maybe just a feeling) prompted me to think that I might be dreaming. I performed a nose-pinch RC, which surprised me because I have not been keeping up with doing that in waking life and didn't think it was going be an effective method for me. I was able to breathe through the nose somewhat, but I felt the sensation of it being difficult to do so, like I wasn't pinching hard enough or something like that, and so the RC did not bring me into lucidity.

This leads me to think perhaps I had expected the nose-pinch RC to be too simple. I'm wondering what this particular RC feels like for you guys in your experience? Do you experience any kind of resistance to breathing whatsoever, or is it as if you weren't pinching your nose at all?

goldenrose

Re: Experience With Nose-Pinch RC

Postby goldenrose » 26 Jun 2017 07:02

I've never gotten it to work. This was the first RC I ever tried, but whenever I would try it in a dream, I simply couldn't breathe, like normal. So it's never brought me to lucidity. I'm not sure why it doesn't work, though.
Darkness is always held up by the light.

Rammschnev

Re: Experience With Nose-Pinch RC

Postby Rammschnev » 28 Jun 2017 20:10

Since posting, it has started working more effectively for me. I sometimes feel a bit of discomfort, as if I've got something caught in my nose that I'm pressing against, but I have been able to breathe normally, and it has successfully brought me into my first genuinely but modestly lucid experience. My thought about it has been that perhaps doing it frequently in waking life cements the expectation that one won't be able to breathe, and so that is what is encountered when performing it in the dream. But I also see where it can be effective, because breath seems to be one of the few physical sensations that continues to register in sleep. Interestingly, though, it has never happened just out of habit in a dream as a result of practicing it regularly; it happens spontaneously when I already suspect that I might be in a dream, usually correlated with dreaming that I have gone to sleep or woken up. I set several alarms through the night to write down the dreams of the previous few hours, so the number of times I wake up and fall asleep again in a given night seems crucial to eventually catching on that some part of my experience must be dream.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”