I Don't Know Where I Stand in Respect to Lucid Dreaming, Here's My Question:

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
MJayMonkey

I Don't Know Where I Stand in Respect to Lucid Dreaming, Here's My Question:

Postby MJayMonkey » 03 Jul 2017 10:46

Sort of thinking aloud here:
(Disclaimer: It's like 3am and I typed this out on a mobile device so sorry if it's at all hard to follow or contains errors, I read it over once and I don't think its that bad though so here goes :D )

So I have always taken pride in my ability to dream, i usually remember them and forget in a few hours or so, sometimes not remembering anything at all (usually when life gets in the way, ie waking up by alarm to work or something. But When i naturally wake up i usually remember) yet sometimes i get super vivid ones that I can remember still to this day (wrote down most as well) are the ones I consider Lucid (i dont remember senses besides for sight and sound a little more than the others, but especially feeling. I never ever feel like i "feel" anything in a dream, like by touching ie the breeze or a basketball leaving my hands). Anyways, I remember the events that transpired and the choices I made, but I'm still don't know if i made those choices or if I just remember what happened. Because none of my "lucid" dreams are every me flying or me doing something I just decide to do, its more, some shit happens and I think run away or Im in class and im being normal me and asking my friends to get froyo instead of going to class or something (i can remember events in dreams where i did both these things) and oh man did i regret getting that froyo lol, i fell off a cliff on the way there. And as I recall these events in these super vivid dreams, i feel like i can recall a thought process, aka i saw a threat understood the threat and ran from threat but i dont know if my subconscious or conscious self controlled that thought process for one reason: i usually dont feel like i know im dreaming. theyre intense and vivid but if i dont know im dreaming. So, can i still make conscious decisions, like do stuff in a dream (like i said before its never anything extraordinary, sticks tightly to the plot of the dream usually, but lots of times my decisions in these vivid dreams shift the dream drastically) ?

Also on the flip side i do remember achieving a conscious state in some of my dreams, and i remember waking up and thinking hey i knew i was dreaming (one specific one was that i looked at the clock in my house twice in a span of what felt like a few seconds and it changed by like 5 hours or something drastic like that and was like sick im dreaming, nj figuring that out you smart little bastard) but even when i knew i was dreaming, i never remember the lucid dream that followed, never remembered any of these dreams or the things i did, only the fact that i achieved consciousness

Conclusion:

So basically I'm saying, i feel like i might control my dreams when i don't know I'm dreaming, is that still a form of lucid dreaming, or is this simply a sharp memory of a dream, in which i merely remembered the thought process instead of consciously deciding what to do in the dream? And also why when i achieve ludcidity, or the realization that im dreaming, do i never do anything with it/control it/remember it, do i just lose it right away or something like that? Am i missing something (because, as i haven't put much work into dreaming yet (more of a natural dreAmer i guess you could say) i realize that it takes work and practice to fully lucid dream for most).

Thanks for responses in advance, I'm an aspiring lucid dreamer and before i take any steps towards practicing i would like to understand my current dream-ability i guess you could say :)

naturespirit

Re: I Don't Know Where I Stand in Respect to Lucid Dreaming, Here's My Question:

Postby naturespirit » 03 Jul 2017 13:51

Lucid dreaming and dream control may come together, or they may be safely separate.

If you control your dreams but are NOT aware you are dreaming, you are not lucid dreaming yet.
If at any point you realize you are dreaming, you are lucid dreaming.

I advise you attempt to move your control over to your lucid dreams if you have not done so already.

Dream on.
Proffesor of Oneiromancy

Earn Points!
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19752

MJayMonkey

Re: I Don't Know Where I Stand in Respect to Lucid Dreaming, Here's My Question:

Postby MJayMonkey » 03 Jul 2017 18:54

naturespirit wrote:Lucid dreaming and dream control may come together, or they may be safely separate.

If you control your dreams but are NOT aware you are dreaming, you are not lucid dreaming yet.
If at any point you realize you are dreaming, you are lucid dreaming.

I advise you attempt to move your control over to your lucid dreams if you have not done so already.

Dream on.

Thanks for the advice but just to clarify, I've bad spurts of lucidity and spurts of control, usually I control to realize I'm lucid and then quickly lose control and lose lucidity. How would I go about moving my control to my lucid dreams specifically so that my dreams can be more clear and how would I go about trying to hold onto my lucid moment and control moments longer?

Thanks!

goldenrose

Postby goldenrose » 03 Jul 2017 19:23

When you are dreaming, it's often the choices you make in your dream are yours, especially if these dreams are vivid. Yes, sometimes dreamers kind of float around in their dreams, letting impulses take them, but much of the time, you are still in control of your actions. At least in my experience, as I usually have a high thought process, so therefore most of the decisions in my dreams are conscious ones.

This is a great step to lucid dreaming, but does not equate to lucidity, as you are not aware you are in a dream as you are dreaming. The main thing awareness brings is the ability to realize you can do whatever you want. If you're aware in your dreams, you don't have to act according to the dream plot. You can do whatever you want (with practice).

The main thing to help you, I believe, is reality checks, if you do not already perform them. Question the waking world, truly have doubt when you ask yourself "Am I dreaming?" Try to plug your nose and see if you can still breathe. Try to push your fingers through your palm. This practice will eventually seep into your dream life and seeing your fingers go through your hand should surely make you realize you're dreaming.

Wish you luck! :)
Darkness is always held up by the light.

naturespirit

Postby naturespirit » 03 Jul 2017 22:53

Thanks for the clarification.

It is a common beginner mistake to immediately run around the dream scene screaming their heads off, and then waking up. Once you become lucid, rub your hands together to induce sensation in the dream world.
Start off with very basic exercises such as emptying your pockets and looking at the contents, and then perhaps asking the subconscious for the objects meaning.
Then progress on to things like Visual Manipulation, which is adjusting your vision to achieve summoning, teleportation and telekinesis.

Sweet dreams.
Proffesor of Oneiromancy

Earn Points!
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19752

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”