Is this forum dying?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HunterClash

Is this forum dying?

Postby HunterClash » 28 Jul 2017 10:22

I have made a post about a month ago. It took me more than an hour to write. no replies?!
LD: 6
1: 4/9/15 - The Plane
2: 7/11/16 - The Voice
3: 8/7/17 - The Self Suggesting Dream
4: 8/17/17 - The Snake
5: 8/19/17 - The Super Speed(Fail)
6: 8/26/17 - The Ball Pool

naturespirit

Re: Is this forum dying?

Postby naturespirit » 28 Jul 2017 14:06

:shock:

I'm sorry that your long post did not receive any replies.
It is difficult to keep track of every post, and no one is obligated to respond.

However, it is not appropriate to ask if a forum is 'dying'. You will only receive a post like this one. So what is the point?
I appreciate the fact you are twelve, however I believe that there is a specific rule that under 13s may NOT join, but I may be wrong in this regard.

Pitch in and stop complaining.

Naturespirit
Proffesor of Oneiromancy

Earn Points!
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19752

Bod

Postby Bod » 28 Jul 2017 15:38

On the contrary. I think the OP has made a valid point, regardless of age.

You only have to look across at a once big community like Dreamviews to see a shift in interest away from traditional forums, compared to say about 5 or 6 years ago not long after the post-Inception apocalypse. I tend to see only stuff relating to journals, etc. So any popularity decline is not just confined to this site.

Conversely, out of all the internet sites online today I would say that Reddit (via subreddit r/luciddreaming) is gaining in popularity given the amount of regular activity there now, especially on topics relating to sleep paralysis, etc. :twisted:
"There are things known and there are things unknown and in between are the Doors." (Unsourced: Jim Morrison - Wikiquote)

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 28 Jul 2017 17:53

This forum has been dead for a while now. It hasn't had any moderation in some time. A lot of people left after spambots took over about a year ago. Maybe finally someone did something about that, it isn't nearly as bad.
Good luck,
Dream on.

HunterClash

Postby HunterClash » 28 Jul 2017 18:31

I thought of joining dream views but I am on a kindle!! Cant do puzze captchas on a reader! so cant sign up.
LD: 6
1: 4/9/15 - The Plane
2: 7/11/16 - The Voice
3: 8/7/17 - The Self Suggesting Dream
4: 8/17/17 - The Snake
5: 8/19/17 - The Super Speed(Fail)
6: 8/26/17 - The Ball Pool

naturespirit

Postby naturespirit » 28 Jul 2017 22:42

All this talk about dreamviews...

Dreamviews admittedly has many advantages, but we have some too. World Of Lucid Dreaming has a higher Alexa rank than the other forum. We should use this to our advantage. Make the forum more active by creating threads like... Just look at titles on dreamviews that are popular.
In the other forum I have just unfriended the admin where did the admin randomly swore offensive words in the IRC.

I know there is a lot of stubbornness to change here, celebrated by not replying to my Task of the Month thread. Instead of complaining I ask why.

Ironically, these immediate replies prove the absence of 'death' :D
Proffesor of Oneiromancy

Earn Points!

Bod

Postby Bod » 29 Jul 2017 10:44

HunterClash wrote:I have made a post about a month ago. It took me more than an hour to write. no replies?!
I know the feeling bro! :cry:

DreamerMan99 wrote:This forum has been dead for a while now. It hasn't had any moderation in some time. A lot of people left after spambots took over about a year ago. Maybe finally someone did something about that, it isn't nearly as bad.
Spam and spambots suck big time. There should be instant karma for the perpetrators.
This leads me on to Captcha(s). I can never read them half the time. The picture ones go on for ever. (Thanks to you fidgit spammers!) :evil:

HunterClash wrote:I thought of joining dream views but I am on a kindle!! Cant do puzze captchas on a reader! so cant sign up.
In my day you had to solve a question to prove you were human. It was something like "What is the forum about?" I was tempted to add "making money".

How things never change. Kerchinng!

On a more serious note, could you perhaps try using another computer with a compatible browser(?) to join/log on initially. Just make sure you sign off fully if you do this after.

naturespirit wrote:All this talk about dreamviews...
Alexa, ha, ha - Amazon's corporate sister. I knew a girl called Alexa once. 8-)

That is all well and good for the webmaster's, the pen pusher's and the accountants amongst us, but the 'boots on the ground' figures on the two forum platforms tell a completely different story. Look at the member numbers and the activity stats. DV blows W-o-L-D out of the water in that respect.

I would guess Dreamviews would win the type in traffic battle if that's any consolation - Sans hyphens. Not that many people resort to doing such a thing nowadays.
(I aways told hyphens were bad for SEO and looked spammy, but big 'G' doesn't seem to mind in this case.)
The forum could/should take advantage of the search engine traffic given the high page rank, but remember the forum is more of a sideline rather than the main site objective.

TOTM is quite a good idea. It works well. I shouldn't give up on it if you feel that strongly about an idea. That's what a community should be about in my humble opinion.

Chat is one of the main features of Dreamviews. It never appeals to me though. They have had trouble with the IRC (is that what it's called?) recently and they did have a big revolt a few years back where a third of the angels were cast out. (I.e. banned). Not to mention the 'Stop:Panic', the hacking affair and the brief .org migration.

I don't know what's going on with the avatars over there though? Any thoughts?

Talking of which, this forum layout seems cleaner, less clunky and easier to navigate than the rivals.

naturespirit wrote::shock:
... However, it is not appropriate to ask if a forum is 'dying'. You will only receive a post like this one. So what is the point?
<facepalm> Really? </facepalm>

naturespirit wrote:Ironically, these immediate replies prove the absence of 'death' :D
How ironic indeed... :oops:
"There are things known and there are things unknown and in between are the Doors." (Unsourced: Jim Morrison - Wikiquote)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 30 Jul 2017 16:45

I won't let it die. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

naturespirit

Postby naturespirit » 31 Jul 2017 22:14

'I guess we are the best lucid dreaming forum without avatars'
Proffesor of Oneiromancy

Earn Points!

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 13 Aug 2017 17:37

it's not dead, it's just living in Kansas