The Problem with Dreams in Movies

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Caron Dimonio

The Problem with Dreams in Movies

Postby Caron Dimonio » 29 Sep 2017 14:23

Perhaps this topic has been opened yet, so I'll try to be more specific:
I've seen a bunch of movies about lucid dreaming or, more general, build around dreamy themes. What I've found is that most of those dream sequences in movies are not actually "realistic". I mean, most of the time are too exaggerated (thinking about Inception), or just generic as hell and not so captivating. The only exception that I've seen so far is the episode" The Test Dream" in The Sopranos (Season 5, episode 11 if my mind doesn't trick) and I think is a pretty good episode with the most reliable dream sequence that I remember. It's not specifically about lucid dreaming - except a line said by Tony Soprano - but it's pretty closer about the real dream's plots... At least mine dream plots!
Do you remember some stunning dreaming sequences who really looks like dreams?
"At the point of sleep, when the sleep has not yet come and external wakefulness vanishes, at this point Being is revealed."

Sean Jacobs

Re: The Problem with Dreams in Movies

Postby Sean Jacobs » 29 Sep 2017 23:32

Hi Caron Dimonio.

I don't think I've ever seen an accurate depiction of a lucid dream on TV or in Movies. While I love inception, the dream sequences are too "realistic" where as dreams are very fluid and full of quick unexpected changes. Often the movies go overboard with the dream sequences, showing everyone in very strange and exotic places where as real dreams tend to be in places which are familiar to the dreamer.

As far a normal dreams, I've had some dream that were so much like real life that it was just pathetic; like dreams were I'm at work. :cry:

Ultimately, no TV show or Movie will ever compare to lucid dreams.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Caron Dimonio

Re: The Problem with Dreams in Movies

Postby Caron Dimonio » 30 Sep 2017 15:17

Sean Jacobs wrote:Hi Caron Dimonio.

I don't think I've ever seen an accurate depiction of a lucid dream on TV or in Movies. While I love inception, the dream sequences are too "realistic" where as dreams are very fluid and full of quick unexpected changes. Often the movies go overboard with the dream sequences, showing everyone in very strange and exotic places where as real dreams tend to be in places which are familiar to the dreamer.

As far a normal dreams, I've had some dream that were so much like real life that it was just pathetic; like dreams were I'm at work. :cry:

Ultimately, no TV show or Movie will ever compare to lucid dreams.

Completely agree with your opinion about Inception, but I really think that that episode of the Sopranos is the closest representation of a dream that I'd ever seen. I'm wondering if there are other movies or excerpt like that one...
"At the point of sleep, when the sleep has not yet come and external wakefulness vanishes, at this point Being is revealed."

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”