WBTB. Screen or no screen. Your experience.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LuckyMan

WBTB. Screen or no screen. Your experience.

Postby LuckyMan » 29 Oct 2017 15:26

Hi there,

I am a bi-phasic sleeper, so I can WBTB every single night and I do so. I enjoy my 60-90minutes of quiet before heading back to bed. But I am perplexed when I read posts from people who say, "never do screen time (device/tv/computer etc) during your WBTB or it will kill your chances!" Hmmm.

So I checked my records (I am a serious record keeper) and find that I have actually had lucid dreams after doing screen time at the WBTB. Plus, I have a friend who is a MAJOR lucid dreamer, and has had lucid dreams his whole life and has multiples every month and he tells me he checks his stock prices and the news online during his WBTB's so clearly screen time is not an issue for him, so there seems to be a conflict of information here.

It could be argued that perhaps my friend and I would have MORE lucid dreams if we did not go online during our WBTB. I know I would change my behaviour if I was sure it would increase my chances of having more lucid dreams, but I want to be sure I am altering my behaviour based on good information, not just something someone posts on a forum page without backup. Don't you think?

I know, I know "everyone is different" and there are no hard and fast rules but there are SOME things that are pretty basic and I believe this is a big one and here's why: when I encourage people to do WBTB I know they will get up, go to the bathroom and then start looking around for something to do to pass the time, and guess what they will gravitate to -- yup, their device or the computer. It's gonna happen. But if someone can present evidence that it definitely hurt ones chances of LDing, I have no problem telling people, "no, really, I'm serious, don't do it in your WBTB!"

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts.

Here's wishing everyone every success on that fascinating, twisty, turny pathway to happy lucid dreams. Enjoy your travels.

M

Peter

Re: WBTB. Screen or no screen. Your experience.

Postby Peter » 31 Oct 2017 15:26

Hi, Welcome and you should get some replies here as its a good diverse group

Cheers
Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Nov 2017 19:10

Hi, LuckyMan

I shall be replying to your intriguing post pretty soon once I gather my ideas. I'm absolutely with you on the points you made. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 02 Nov 2017 08:56

As an introverted computer geek whose been into lucid dreaming for quite some time,I'd say no. Being in front of my PC during my WBTB phase hasn't hurt me.

In the past before life got in the way,I achieved a 3-5 times a week success ratio and I was always in front of my PC during my wake times. (its pretty much the only thing I've got to entertain me in the middle of the night).

I'll wait for others' input on this,but in my experience,it doesn't have a negative effect.

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 02 Nov 2017 13:13

no

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » 02 Nov 2017 18:21

RedKryptonite wrote:As an introverted computer geek whose been into lucid dreaming for quite some time,I'd say no. Being in front of my PC during my WBTB phase hasn't hurt me.

In the past before life got in the way,I achieved a 3-5 times a week success ratio and I was always in front of my PC during my wake times. (its pretty much the only thing I've got to entertain me in the middle of the night).

I'll wait for others' input on this,but in my experience,it doesn't have a negative effect.

Hi RedKryptonite,
Thanks for your response. I think you are absolutely right. Given what you are saying, and what I have heard from others, I am going to dismiss -- for myself -- any notion that looking at my screen during WBTB would have a deleterious effect on lucid dreaming. In fact, as another wise person pointed out, any negatives are probably far outweighed by the positive motivational possibilities that come with surfing for LD-related inspiration online. I love using my WBTB time to completely focus on dream-related topics, it feels very luxurious and decadent in the quiet of the night, to be Googling, "lucid dreaming and the pre-frontal cortex." LOL!!!
Thanks again, and best regards,
-M

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Nov 2017 00:58

My friend, you are amazing. I still get the odd failure here and there and for that reason I count myself lucky on every success. Forgive me if I start picking your brain---in both senses of the double entendre---all the time. 8-)

The consensus here surely is that it doesn't matter what one decides to do during the sleep inertia period prior to a WILD attempt. In fact, books, films, games and other entertainment could have an intriguing impact on our lucid dream world. Why would anyone want to be deprived of such sensory stimulation? Stirr the mind a little I say! :D

Anybody who claims---and disseminates like gospel---that such stimulation will hamper the practice and that the rule applies to everyone is a close-minded bigot. I wouldn't waste my precious fingers. :mrgreen:

There is still a lot to be understood about lucid dreaming and the waking life behaviours and attitudes that might promote such hybrid brain states in our sleep. I don't see any reason why entertainment could be detrimental to the potentials for the emergence of the Gamma brainwave of activity.

Just look at Dr. Stephen LaBerge, who pioneered the research and even recommends reading about lucid dreaming before returning to bed for an attempt. :geek:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 04 Nov 2017 06:31

Summerlander wrote:My friend, you are amazing. I still get the odd failure here and there and for that reason I count myself lucky on every success. Forgive me if I start picking your brain---in both senses of the double entendre---all the time. 8-)

No problem,an interesting discussion is always welcome. we need more life in this forum,after all. :)

Likewise,I'm always happy about every successful LD attempt I make. Most of us here do not have that special ability/talent that few people have to lucid dream every night with little to no effort/induction. I don't know what part of their genetic makeup allows such people to accomplish this,but its hard not to envy. Ironically,such people do not think much of their LD ability. I suppose there is some truth in the saying that people do not value what comes easy.

I only remembered this just now,but according to Daniel Love's book,mental stimulation will actually increase the chances of a successful WBTB attempt,not reduce it. He actually recommends that we partake in activities that stimulate the logical and critical part of our mind,like word and math puzzles,and even mentions...Computer games. so yeah,that pretty much fully answers this question.

The only caveat is to make sure not to stimulate yourself to the point that going back to sleep will be too difficult.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Nov 2017 20:50

Moderation in stimulation, like anything, is key. I recommend Daniel Love, too. Very scientific and the man talks sense. 8-)

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”