Do you think lucid dreams can be used for practising being social and talkative in waking life?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Peter86

Do you think lucid dreams can be used for practising being social and talkative in waking life?

Postby Peter86 » 08 Nov 2017 16:24

I have been rather careful and much less talkative for the past few years now than I used to be, and I feel that it's time to change that.
One of my current goals is to be more talkative around my college classmates, since they did seem to like me a lot for the first few months last year at least (they often started conversations with me etc, and I pretty much smiled and responded politely but never approached them myself), and this is one thing that I would like to improve by quite a lot - I just need to get past that initial "mental barrier" that makes me hesitate to actually start any conversation with them.
And I was wondering, couldn't lucid dreaming be used for this, as a kind of "training ground"?
I thought that maybe I could try imagine walking into a "dream classroom" and seeing my "dream classmates" there, then start a conversation with them in that dream and assume it's all going to work out fine, then keep doing that until it becomes easy, and finally try it in waking life as well.
Is this something that you would recommend, and how effective do you think it will be?

Summerlander

Re: Do you think lucid dreams can be used for practising being social and talkative in waking life?

Postby Summerlander » 08 Nov 2017 16:55

There are a number of things you could do to make you more sociable. Lucid dreaming can certainly make you more confident and, let's say, a bit more daring in waking life. To lucid dream is to be mindful in your sleep, which may encourage you to be present and focused in waking life, too.

Waking life, in turn, has its impact on your sleep experiences. Reading books on a variety of topics---including the ones you're already interested in---can also enrich your social interaction insofar as conversationality and conviviality go. Needless to say, the corollary of such adjustment to your lifestyle is that you get to stimulate your dreaming mind in bizarre and interesting ways.

In short, you open your mind to other possibilities. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DreamerMan99

Re: Do you think lucid dreams can be used for practising being social and talkative in waking life?

Postby DreamerMan99 » 09 Nov 2017 20:46

You're better off just trying to find a common connection with people and forcing yourself to socialize, and finding ways to improve your self-confidence. There is no risk in a lucid dream, so there is nothing to be gained. Plus, dream characters are pretty 1 dimensional.
Good luck,
Dream on.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Nov 2017 01:30

But in a lucid dream, he can have the illusion of a silent audience before which he may conquer his nerves and practise elocution. He may even pretend they are real---alternatively, real world circumstances can be thought of as a dream when one is in the limelight. It can be liberating to not have to worry about interjections, judgement and criticism---or what people are thinking in general---in that moment. You simply focus on seizing an opportunity to shine; which in reality could mean that you've tried your best. ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 15 Nov 2017 03:44

Yes.
It was one of the very first skills I worked on when I first started lucid dreaming myself when I was very young. Before I even started lucid dreaming, I was extremely anti-social, wouldn't talk to anyone, and when guests came over, I would hide in the closet in my room, shutting the doors to my closet. For a while in my lucid dreams, this reflected on my dream characters, as I would avoid them. They didn't even have faces, because I didn't look at faces. After about 8 months of playing around in my lucid dreams, not really being able to control them properly, but having fun regardless, eventually I began to approach the characters. After about a year, I even began talking to them, which helped slightly with my social skills.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”