Unexpected help from a DC

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
fuzzylogic

Unexpected help from a DC

Postby fuzzylogic » 20 Aug 2012 11:52

A couple days ago I was having my second lucid dream of the night (first time that's ever happened) and my usual process is: as soon as I realise I'm dreaming I tell a dream character, say "clarity now", and rub my hands together for good measure. This usually brightens the scene and stabilises things for a moment while I decide what to do.

As soon as I became lucid I spoke to a DC (who was a rather plain teenage girl I didn't recognise) that I was dreaming and she was in my dream. She smiled timidly, nodded and said "yes I know". Then although I was thinking pretty clearly, I couldn't remember my usual wording and said something like "conscious now" and nothing happened except the girl shook her head and said "it's clarity now". Which I spoke and the scene brightened and I went on with my experience.

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked to find that a dream character knew this, but I found it interesting that she could remember the word that I couldn't. To me this represents a separate "person" rather than being a part of my own imagination. I suppose a sceptic would just say that it was just my subconscious mind providing a memory that I had.

torakrubik

Re: Unexpected help from a DC

Postby torakrubik » 20 Aug 2012 22:56

fuzzylogic wrote: I suppose a sceptic would just say that it was just my subconscious mind providing a memory that I had.

I would agree with this in this case; however I'm not a skeptic. DCs continue to surprise and shock me, and I firmly believe they represent another consciousness present in the dreamworld.
Dreaming is my drug

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 21 Aug 2012 01:59

torakrubik wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote: I suppose a sceptic would just say that it was just my subconscious mind providing a memory that I had.

I would agree with this in this case; however I'm not a skeptic. DCs continue to surprise and shock me, and I firmly believe they represent another consciousness present in the dreamworld.

They *COULD* represent another consciousness. Sometimes it's really hard to tell what's from your own mind and what's from someone else's mind.

In the end, just ask yourself this, "Did you gain information which helped you in a positive manner?"

If you did gleam something useful from the interaction... then it really doesn't matter "where" the information came from, does it? :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Aug 2012 14:50

To me this represents a separate "person" rather than being a part of my own imagination. I suppose a sceptic would just say that it was just my subconscious mind providing a memory that I had.

I wouldn't call it a "person". I'd say probably a "persona", perhaps that side of you that remembers or fetches the memories. You also have to remember another thing: your brain has been perceiving people and processing the way they behave for a long time now. It does this in the waking state. It knows the difference between living and non-living objects very well from experience. Therefore, it is not very hard for a dreaming mind to conjure up grand illusions of sentience in simulated characters.

Here's a relative excerpt of a DILD from my dream journal:

"...There was a small barroom with a few red stools where the tavern existed earlier. I opened the front door and found a sunlit suburban area that was completely different from the town we live in. There was nobody about so I had the idea of materialising a person out of thin air. I held out my hands and pretended to hold a human head. I gazed at the space between my hand palms and concentrated on bringing a head into being.

It is worth mentioning that I stood still and was not concerned with the lucid dream collapsing. I felt very determined as I tensed my posture and growled through gritted teeth before bellowing out: “I’m in a lucid dream, goddamnit!” - Suddenly, to my amazement, there was an ethereal outline in the shape of an oval between my hands. I continued to will the form to manifest entirely. The more opaque the object became, the stronger the haptic data grew.

As soon as I could feel the shape of a skull with my fingers, a smiling face was recognisable and a bust didn’t take long to form. In a matter of seconds, I had a full-fledged woman kneeling in front of me and resembling Helen (a friend). I could breathe life into her, too, just by willing it. I played with her facial expressions by changing them with my mind and even made her senesce swiftly. When I wished to make her plump, a bigger lady with curly brown hair popped into view right next to her..."

Such dream characters can also surprise you because you are not aware of the processes in your deep unconscious. Of course you can't always predict their behaviour let alone what dream environment you will be presented with after, say, spinning like a dervish.

Your brain is more complex than what you might imagine. When it comes to randomness it can outdo a random process generator by a mile. Needless to say, you know more than you think you know. Furthermore, the ability to achieve the lucid state while dreaming rests with the conscious mind, which is very much interconnected with memory-related processes.

Humans have a tendency to be biased by what they perceive combined with how they would like the world to be. Here's a waking example: if a cat rubs its fur on you after you have given it a sardine you will have a tendency to think that the cat is saying "thank you" in his own way.

But the cat is not human and it is not saying thank you at all. Its behaviour is governed by animalistic instincts and the cat is merely marking you with its scent. Later, it will recognise you as the source of food. For the cat, you are nothing more than a possession.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”