alcohol + LD

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
rdubya

alcohol + LD

Postby rdubya » 27 Jun 2011 15:20

Has anyone been able to have an LD when they have had some alcohol to drink? I have not, but I think I remember reading somewhere that with a certain BAC level you don't enter a deep REM state, which would make it so we can't LD?

-Ryan

Peter

Re: alcohol + LD

Postby Peter » 27 Jun 2011 20:32

Think alcohol will give restless unrefreshing sleep for first part of night and you may get REM rebound in later part of night.
Getting the amount right is hard and takes lots of practise :D
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

aamorim

Postby aamorim » 27 Jun 2011 21:04

Alcohol acts on central nervous system as depressant and generaly suppress REM sleep. Alcohol significantly inhibits neuronal activity in the CA1 and CA3 pyramidal cell layers of the hippocampus.This impairs memory encoding.

To have lucid dreaming you need to remember your intensions to LD. I believe that any chemical compound that cause memory impairment will reduce your changes of LD.

But as Perter said above, there are reports that alcohol in correct dosages can supress the first and second REM cycle causing a rebound on the last REM cycle. Just like melatonin or 5-htp mechanisms.

All the best
--Andre
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
--Carl Jung

SaraM2261

Postby SaraM2261 » 28 Jun 2011 01:56

I have been wondering about this myself.

My husband and I drink in the evenings before bed and I have noticed that my dreams are not as vivid as they used to be. I am wondering if the alcohol has anything to do with it.

My dreams are colorless or just boring. I can remember them just fine, 4-5 a night, I have always been able to remember my dreams very well. I used to be very natural at LD-ing though, and I wonder if the alcohol is what is different now... :?:

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Jun 2011 02:03

I also think you need a reason to LD and dream vividly. It might not be an obvious one like problem solving but can be linked to learning new skills from your day or if you get a new interest it may appear in odd ways in the dreamscape. All parts of us need new and constant stimulation and this is one of the biggest differences between childhood and adulthood. Before say 5 we have discovered a new world learnt a language and explored without pre-formed opinions and we dream like crazy.
See the world as a child would, color, detail, scents and feelings and the dreams may colour up again.

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

SaraM2261

Postby SaraM2261 » 28 Jun 2011 03:02

Thank you so much Peter, You are so right.
I am a wife and mother of two so my life has gotten very practical. Good reason, and a good thing, but can be very boring some times! :) Thanks for the input! I need to take a new look around me and maybe play with my kids a bit more too.

Gabor

Postby Gabor » 29 Jun 2011 03:56

i have no idea what you guys are talking about. i had some of craziest lucid dream the morning after getting wasted on alcohol.

Peter

Postby Peter » 29 Jun 2011 03:58

thats nice

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”