Lucid dreaming and astral projection

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Re: Lucid dreaming and astral projection

Postby lucidinthe sky » 10 Sep 2012 02:35

KylePK wrote:But who says you have to be "sleeping" to astral project?

I don't think you have to be asleep to produce mental states that allow your consciousness to separate from your human body and experience consciousness outside of it which is how I would define the term "astral projection" or "astral travel". People have done with lucid dreams, OBEs, DMT trips, meditation, etc.

I think the mistake is to think that people are actually travelling around in our physical plane during their "trips". A better term for this would be "Internally Experienced Travel". It's a very real and valid experience, don't get me wrong and we have a powerful ability to create any experience we want to. BUT, our experiences are not directly connected with our physical reality. Some may believe they are, but it's a belief, not something that has been proven. Their experiences may resemble it with great detail, but all these realities are constructed and not connected to the phsyical plane.

"Astral projection" is similar to the wording of the "all fictitious persons disclaimer": All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 10 Sep 2012 06:55

Yeah, both of you are right! It is difficult for me to accept uncertainty as an answer for something I feel should have been known by now. I don't know. Maybe I just need to do more research, talk to more Astral Projectors. I can accept uncertainty as an inevitability in some cases, but I don't feel comfortable letting something go when I feel I can still provide myself and others with a sense of concrete certainty.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 10 Sep 2012 06:57

lucidinthe sky wrote:"Astral projection" is similar to the wording of the "all fictitious persons disclaimer": All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yeah, thats how I am starting to feel.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

alppdcjr12

Postby alppdcjr12 » 10 Sep 2012 23:41

I know that Stephen LaBerge theorizes that astral projection is the same as lucid dreaming, and I personally think most of it probably is. However, I have a certain amount of open mindedness towards the idea that something like an OBE is truly possible through perhaps not literal movement outside of the body, but through the use of some sort of technique that goes beyond simply imagining such an experience with the sleeping mind. I guess there's only one way to find out.
"Life is that which dreams are made on, and is rounded by a sleep."
-Prospero, Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
Check out my lucid dreaming blog: www.rememberawake.com

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 Sep 2012 02:55

alppdcjr12 wrote:I know that Stephen LaBerge theorizes that astral projection is the same as lucid dreaming, and I personally think most of it probably is. However, I have a certain amount of open mindedness towards the idea that something like an OBE is truly possible through perhaps not literal movement outside of the body, but through the use of some sort of technique that goes beyond simply imagining such an experience with the sleeping mind.

Definitely don't want to sound like I am diminishing the experience or invalidating it. It's truly a mind expanding concept and we have no idea where we are going when we have an OBE/lucid dream and I believe there are a lot of ways to get there.
Been really amazed at the places I've visited in lucid dreams, who's to say that they don't exist. I also keep a lot of open mindness about the experience, we can never judge the experiences of another. I've just been turned off by the term "astral projection" because it's been abused by charlatans to try to prove their "physic" powers which is generally a bunch of BS.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”