Few questions

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
NoahM

Few questions

Postby NoahM » 11 Sep 2012 17:06

So first off, I'm extremely intrigued by the idea, and want to get started - but I have a few questions that really concern me as far as the normality of life when you're a lucid dreamer.

So, question #1: I read on this website in an article that you will start to habitually perform reality checks and what not in dreams. If this is the case, can you not control when you would have just a normal night's sleep? Would you soon begin to question reality EVERY night in EVERY dream?

question #2: Is it truly rejuvenating sleep, like good-old shuteye really is? I've read about how your brain is MORE active in a lucid dream than you are in real life. If that's the case, wouldn't it not really be like sleep for your brain? Sure, your body and it's muscles are getting the rest, but if you're brain power is off the charts trying to visualize and live this crazy dream that you are controlling, it doesn't sound like it's much rest for your mind.

Please, share your thoughts, concerns, and ideas, lucid dreamers.

alppdcjr12

Re: Few questions

Postby alppdcjr12 » 11 Sep 2012 22:47

1) Reality checks are a habit, but you have to resolve to do them. If you fuel the habit, it will persist. Like any habit, if you don't, it will go away. There's no saying how often it will happen, but your goal is to realize you're dreaming every night. Each strategy of lucid dreaming is like making an investment (only you don't lose anything if you don't win). You bet often enough with reality checks, and you might get a payoff 1-2 times a week for that system--you may, after all, dream about things other than what your tests are, or whatever. You also want to invest in techniques that help you remind yourself to know you're dreaming right before you go to bed, and hopefully lucid dream 3-4 times from that. These numbers are just random; I have no idea what will work best for you. The key is to put a lot of energy into it.
"Life is that which dreams are made on, and is rounded by a sleep."
-Prospero, Shakespeare's "The Tempest"
Check out my lucid dreaming blog: www.rememberawake.com

NoahM

Postby NoahM » 11 Sep 2012 23:31

alppdcjr12 wrote:1) Reality checks are a habit, but you have to resolve to do them. If you fuel the habit, it will persist. Like any habit, if you don't, it will go away. There's no saying how often it will happen, but your goal is to realize you're dreaming every night. Each strategy of lucid dreaming is like making an investment (only you don't lose anything if you don't win). You bet often enough with reality checks, and you might get a payoff 1-2 times a week for that system--you may, after all, dream about things other than what your tests are, or whatever. You also want to invest in techniques that help you remind yourself to know you're dreaming right before you go to bed, and hopefully lucid dream 3-4 times from that. These numbers are just random; I have no idea what will work best for you. The key is to put a lot of energy into it.

Could you elaborate a bit? What exactly do you mean by "You also want to invest in techniques that help you remind yourself to know you're dreaming right before you go to bed"

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 13 Sep 2012 11:12

question #2: Is it truly rejuvenating sleep, like good-old shuteye really is? I've read about how your brain is MORE active in a lucid dream than you are in real life. If that's the case, wouldn't it not really be like sleep for your brain? Sure, your body and it's muscles are getting the rest, but if you're brain power is off the charts trying to visualize and live this crazy dream that you are controlling, it doesn't sound like it's much rest for your mind.

Lucid dreams for most people are short and have no real effect on ones shut eye. If one is doing direct WILDs in which one is entering sleep lucid and staying lucid the whole night they do effect ones sleep, but one does not wake tired, instead one sleeps longer. My experience might not be typical, as I'm a short sleeper to start with.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”