Emotions in a Lucid Dream

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
FantasyMind

Emotions in a Lucid Dream

Postby FantasyMind » 05 Oct 2012 17:33

Hey guys! Last night I had realised I was dreaming, performed the reality checks, and jumped straight into what i planned to do. I've only had about 3 or 4 lucid dreams in the past 3 months, so that's not too often. In the lucid dream last night, I had no emotions whatsoever- not even that shocking happiness you get when you realise you had done it- you're lucid dreaming. What kind of emotions do you guys have when you realise you're dreaming? Am I just a bit weird or could it be that I was having a dream I was lucid dreaming? :?
Anyway, please help and thank you :)
Are you dreaming?

bens

Re: Emotions in a Lucid Dream

Postby bens » 05 Oct 2012 18:01

i have felt excitement in the past when i had a lucid dream without intending to, but then when i started inducing methods to intend to i didnt become excited in my lucid dreams, it will probably be the same in your case because you were doing reality checks if you were intending to do so then your mind will be disiplined and not emotional about it, hope this helps

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Oct 2012 00:24

I try to leave the emotions out of lucid dreaming, dont confuse say the feeling of sunshine on you back and emotions. I get a massive amount of sensory input from lucid dreams but that is not emotion. Leaving emotions out might extend the dream and as well, it does for me. I will add that at times its getting angry while in a non lucid that triggers a reality check. So in the end its whatever works for you
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 06 Oct 2012 01:53

I usually have powerful emtional non lucid dreams, but when im lucid im fully aware, I know its all not real so I don't really feel emotion. In fact once I start enjoying something a lot in the lucid dream and get emotional about it and excited, I lose control of the dream and it becomes normal.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 06 Oct 2012 03:00

I've also learned that I have to control my emotions or I lose the lucidity. This has caused my dreams to be pretty bland. I need to find a happy medium. I want to experience the giddy joy of having an LD while also having total control over it. Is that just asking too much? Maybe.

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Oct 2012 06:27

I've also learned that I have to control my emotions or I lose the lucidity

I feel its one level deeper than controlling emotions in that you need to achieve a state of mind where no emotions are generated and so no need to control and then a lovely stability will enter the dreams
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

beadietux

Postby beadietux » 06 Oct 2012 13:27

Peter wrote: I feel its one level deeper than controlling emotions in that you need to achieve a state of mind where no emotions are generated and so no need to control and then a lovely stability will enter the dreams

Yeah, I'm not there yet; however, I noticed a huge improvement in my last LD. When I realized I was lucid, I did not get the rush of excitement with racing thoughts that I usually get...i was happy, and I just went into action. BUT I was still way too rushed and full of anxiety. I'm was afraid of losing the dream that I started trying to do all of the things I want to do in case the dream ended before I wanted it to and it just went too fast to enjoy anything. My goal for next time is to be calm when I realize I'm lucid and just spend a few minutes taking in my surroundings. Every other time I have immediately taken off running as fast as I can and start bouncing and flying. I want to just stand still and then walk and explore next time.

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Oct 2012 19:59

Next time as soon as you are lucid review the goal, think about the walk that you want to do and that will stop a reaction and an emotion bubbling up. I normally start with remembering my name and what I do for a job or what I do for fun and then what my intention is for a dream. This is great for getting that neutral state and stabilizing the dream. Its just like waking up in the morning

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 06 Oct 2012 22:22

Jack Reacher wrote:I usually have powerful emtional non lucid dreams, but when im lucid im fully aware, I know its all not real so I don't really feel emotion. In fact once I start enjoying something a lot in the lucid dream and get emotional about it and excited, I lose control of the dream and it becomes normal.

I can relate to this, for whatever reason lucidity dulls the otherwise intense emotions of normal dreams.
Dreaming is my drug

FantasyMind

Postby FantasyMind » 07 Oct 2012 10:43

Thanks for all the advice, guys :D
I think if your emotions are too overwhelming, then you'll have to calm down. I guess it's better to have no emotion and carry on with your LD than being overwhelmed and waking up.
Are you dreaming?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”