WHY does WBTB (wake back to bed) method work?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

WHY does WBTB (wake back to bed) method work?

Postby HAGART » 15 Mar 2013 06:18

I know from experience that waking up, getting out of bed and then going back to sleep does help spark a lucid dream for me. Not always, but more often than not. I think I have a theory why:

It forces you to use your brain for waking thoughts. Or cognitive thought or rational thought or lucid thought is another word for it, which literally means "ability to think clearly, especially between periods of confusion or insanity". Whatever you call it, it's the part of the brain that makes us able to solve problems and puzzles. Even if you just get up to use the washroom or get a glass of water, it takes a lot of thinking. Where's the light switch? Where's a glass to fill with water? How do I navigate these stairs? Should I drink water first and then urinate or vice versa? ETC.... So many thoughts like that, even if they are silly, are forced to happen and it breaks us free from the dream stooper which can be a period of confusion and insanity (temporary). It makes our minds more alert. (In fact, a lot of my dreams I get in the first half of the night are insolvable puzzles I am pondering and are not rational and hard to describe even to my waking self.)

Without doing WBTB, when I just wake up, roll over and fall back asleep again I just dream away as normal again without breaking free from that dream stooper, confusing, non-lucid state. But if you are too lazy and comfortable to get out of bed at 2 or 4 in the morning, I bet simply giving yourself a problem in your head to solve or a short puzzle to solve would have the same result. It's kind of like thinking in the exact opposite way of dreaming just for a short period and then when you fall back asleep and drift into sleep which is inevitable most of the time, you still retain a part of that lucid rational thought and use ALL your brain, both conscious and subconsious. Which is lucid dreaming or conscious dreaming or whatever you want to call it in all its forms and intensities.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deepakkumaar97

Re: WHY does WBTB (wake back to bed) method work?

Postby deepakkumaar97 » 15 Mar 2013 09:19

HAGART wrote:I know from experience that waking up, getting out of bed and then going back to sleep does help spark a lucid dream for me. Not always, but more often than not. I think I have a theory why:

It forces you to use your brain for waking thoughts. Or cognitive thought or rational thought or lucid thought is another word for it, which literally means "ability to think clearly, especially between periods of confusion or insanity". Whatever you call it, it's the part of the brain that makes us able to solve problems and puzzles. Even if you just get up to use the washroom or get a glass of water, it takes a lot of thinking. Where's the light switch? Where's a glass to fill with water? How do I navigate these stairs? Should I drink water first and then urinate or vice versa? ETC.... So many thoughts like that, even if they are silly, are forced to happen and it breaks us free from the dream stooper which can be a period of confusion and insanity (temporary). It makes our minds more alert. (In fact, a lot of my dreams I get in the first half of the night are insolvable puzzles I am pondering and are not rational and hard to describe even to my waking self.)

Without doing WBTB, when I just wake up, roll over and fall back asleep again I just dream away as normal again without breaking free from that dream stooper, confusing, non-lucid state. But if you are too lazy and comfortable to get out of bed at 2 or 4 in the morning, I bet simply giving yourself a problem in your head to solve or a short puzzle to solve would have the same result. It's kind of like thinking in the exact opposite way of dreaming just for a short period and then when you fall back asleep and drift into sleep which is inevitable most of the time, you still retain a part of that lucid rational thought and use ALL your brain, both conscious and subconsious. Which is lucid dreaming or conscious dreaming or whatever you want to call it in all its forms and intensities.

Very nicely deduced

HAGART wrote:I bet simply giving yourself a problem in your head to solve or a short puzzle to solve would have the same result. It's kind of like thinking in the exact opposite way of dreaming just for a short period and then when you fall back asleep and drift into sleep which is inevitable most of the time, you still retain a part of that lucid rational thought and use ALL your brain, both conscious and subconsious.

That's a really good idea and I guess it should work.
Do a reality check

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Mar 2013 04:54

I think everything I said can be read in a text book and is nothing new, but I had a realization and put it in my own words. Now I have looked up the difference between hypnagogia and hypnopompic and wikipedia defines it as:

"The hypnagogic state is rational waking cognition trying to make sense of non-linear images and associations; the hypnopompic state is emotional and credulous dreaming cognition trying to make sense of real world stolidity."

So now I feel that wake and back to bed is a method to escape from the hynopompic stooper that I ofter find myself in between dreams when I awaken for a brief period. Although I don't think you have to physically get out of bed (but is does help and I often need a bathroom break or a glass of water anyway), all that is needed is to wake up fully from the hypnopompic state. Otherwise I find myself drifting back into a nonsensical dream again.

That is just my two cents about it and again this has probably been said by others more eloquently, but I just had to say it for the sake of saying it and it makes sense to me.

BUt I also think there may be a quick way to get the same result by performing a quick mental exercise or solve a puzzle with your rational thinking mind, then when you dream again, you are consciously awoken and hence lucid dream or conscious dream.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

R99

Postby R99 » 24 Mar 2013 16:22

thats a good idea HAGART, i will give a try. coz i got my most LDs through WBTB.
I see the Truth now.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”