books

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
mia

books

Postby mia » 08 Apr 2013 15:44

So I have just ordered, The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep, and Osho's, Tantra- The Supreme Understanding.
I'm in Canada so no doubt it'll take 3 weeks to get here though. Looking forward to the reads! Thanks to whoever it was for the suggestions ( sorry, forget who).
Mia
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

tea

Re: books

Postby tea » 08 Apr 2013 16:29

you're welcome ;)

☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

mia

Postby mia » 09 Apr 2013 00:33

Thanks tea! :)
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 09 Apr 2013 17:46

Hi, ive read the Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep and it was a great book, but ive also recently read a book I consider to be even greater. Its called Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self. This book literally discusses just about EVERYTHING relevant to lucid dreaming. Its beyond helpful and a great and fun read as well. Rebecca did an interveiw with the author of the book about his book here: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/robert-waggoner.html
I reccomend you check that interveiw out, and if you like what they talk about, get the book right away! Its fantastic and enlightening read :D

mia

Postby mia » 10 Apr 2013 02:32

Wow. LucidLink, that was a great interview! I just went online and ordered that book too. Thank you.
Wow. I'm so excited. Can't wait for those books to arrive.
I've had LDs for a large part of my life, and even got to 'changing' things in my dreams. Until searching the internet recently, I had no idea that my previous experiences were only the tiniest tip of the ice burg. I am so looking forward to what is to come!

tea

Postby tea » 10 Apr 2013 08:23

i'm gonna get this book too! :D

thanks!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 10 Apr 2013 14:11

I am glad you both decided to get the book :)
I would personally say it's the best book I've ever read on lucid dreaming. Every page was exciting and fun to read, as well teaching me somthing! It is a very very great book I would reccomend to anyone and everyone on this website!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

tea

Postby tea » 11 Apr 2013 08:19

i've read almost only good things about that book, but also some bad critiques about how the author worked with no scientific proof and stuff.. what can you say about that?

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 11 Apr 2013 12:39

tea wrote:i've read almost only good things about that book, but also some bad critiques about how the author worked with no scientific proof and stuff.. what can you say about that?

Well first I'd like to say that it is a critiques job to critique. They purposefully search for every flaw, somtimes making flaws out of nothing.
Now when it comes to the book, I see his point, but I disagree that it is negative to the book. The fact is: how much science even comes to play in dreaming? For the longest time the scientific community didnt even accept lucid dreaming, although now they do thanks to one rebel scientist who refused to believe they did not exist. But it just goes to show, science is pure left brain. And when we only think from the left brain, it truly does limit us. We have a right brain for a reason, not everything needs a scientific explanation to be true. Not only is science pure left brain, it seems the act of dreaming itself is pure right brain. As we dream, we lose many of our left brain qualities that analyze things. I feel the western culture relys too heavily on the left brain. Science is wrong many times, despite it's concrete "facts and evidence". But I suppose I'm veering off topic. The book uses little science, but it is instead based off repeated experiments and experiences. I reccomend you don't worry about the left brain, and simpily just enjoy the book and the knowledge it has brought to you. Science is not always the answer! Do not forget about our poor open minded creative right brain ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mia

Postby mia » 11 Apr 2013 15:52

And I believe SCIENCE needs to stop considering itself as a 'GOD'. We are a little too enamoured with the scientific method, and notions that nothing is allowed to exist or be valid until western science has approved ( witness acupuncture; the old movies on it make western science look like fools as they talk about superstition and witch doctors; and then ooops; guess we have to acknowledge it after all even though we don't understand it). The Science of the West; and much of our 'belief' in it, is regularly proven wrong ( the science world just calls it new information we can't ignore any longer so we have to revise our viewpoints). They just like to keep their authority over things. ( Yes, like Richard Dawkins, who fails to notice his own need for metaphor to describe his own beliefs. Example; even his title of his 'great work' is called The Selfish Gene. Well, genes can't be ascribed feelings or motivation; they don't really care if they succeed evolutionarily in reproduction or survival; as that is only pure potential or possibility. So his descriptions are metaphors themselves. Just what religion is criticized for; it's ALL just semantics anyway.) And of course they are still 'beliefs', as Dawkins is still proposing' theory'. He just uses different language than religion in his own attempt to describe the human experience ( and like many religions, also refuses to entertain or allow any other possibilities, or different ways of expressing the abstract). Ok Ok I read the Dawkins post; I need to post over there. I just never liked Dawkins in university. I always found him tedious and found his followers behaving just like the religious groups they would criticize. You know; Dawkins as God. Sorry for the rant. I hereby will not discuss Dawkins any more.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”