How do our ears work when we sleep?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Guitar48300

How do our ears work when we sleep?

Postby Guitar48300 » 28 Apr 2013 18:51

I feel like I can become lucid more often if I hear a certain sound from the waking world that goes off while I'm in a dream. I've downloaded binuaral beats, subliminal messages, I even made a recording of me saying "this is a dream" twice after a certain amount of time(with loop on).After meditating with the subliminal messages I would fall asleep with the recording playing all night. Every night I would increase the volume if i didnt hear it in a dream. I eventually fell asleep at maximum volume(which isnt very loud compared to other listening devices) and still I heard nothing(the loop was set every ten minutes). Is there something about our ears that makes us not hear certain sounds while we're asleep?
Last edited by Guitar48300 on 30 Apr 2013 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

neverlandjulia

Re: How do our ears work when we sleep?

Postby neverlandjulia » 29 Apr 2013 09:27

this is an interesting question, actually. I often sleep with my headphones on to listen calming sounds (not my neighbours) and I never hear these sounds in a dream. After seeing Inception I would expect that we hear a lot of things from real world, but I either don't hear them either wake up.

mia

Postby mia » 29 Apr 2013 15:44

Yes. Interesting. I once had an alarm clock go off; but in my dream the sound appeared as a red splash (like paint) across the sky of the dreamscape. It then 'morphed' into the alarm sound as I awoke. So you certainly 'hear' the real world while asleep. But I think while dreaming, your brain 'filters' sound as well ( we do it in waking life; otherwise sensory bombardment/overload would be a huge problem).
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

StrangeDreamer

Postby StrangeDreamer » 30 Apr 2013 09:10

I used to have my alarm set so that the radio would come on to wake me up. One night/morning I had a rather long dream and just when I knew the dream was nearing it's end I heard this song. It was as if I was watching a TV show and the credits were rolling then I woke up and I heard the same song still playing on the radio...
"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." -Eames (Inception)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 May 2013 07:29

I can hear real life sounds in a quite distorted way when asleep. eg my alarm going off if it dont wake me I may then think was a low flying airoplane and may get something like that then coming into my dream.

I think if one falls asleep with constant sound.. it then makes us like block out the sound while sleeping. I often fall asleep with the TV on and dont notice it while asleep.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

lumencryster

Postby lumencryster » 02 May 2013 09:00

well i think our ears work just fine, but i think are brains are just working in a much different way when we're dreaming. sounds get processed differently. i think its to make us more sensitive to danger, like an animal sneaking up on us or nibbling on us. i don't know why, but i'm itchy all the time. in my dreams i will randomly notice some sort of critter crawling around on my skin. and no matter how much i knock it off, i can't get rid of it. i wake up and in that spot on my skin i have my normal itch. i can only imagine that what my waking brain perceives as an itch, my dreaming brain perceives as a bug, worm, lobster, or anything that would get me to wake up.

edit: i guess what i'm trying to say is, maybe you are hearing it, but it probably isn't what you're expecting to hear.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”