When is best time to use WBTB method?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
VordinGaming

When is best time to use WBTB method?

Postby VordinGaming » 20 Oct 2011 21:33

I'm pretty much wondering what time should i set alarm for? If i go to sleep at 10P.M I usually set my alarm to 4 A.M. Is 6 hours good enough to do this method?

fuzzylogic

Re: When is best time to use WBTB method?

Postby fuzzylogic » 21 Oct 2011 11:10

Around 3 am works for me. I normally wake up around 5:30-6.

For me 1 1/2 - 2 hours before I normally awake seems to work, (although I'm still learning). This give you about 1/2 hour to stay awake and do stuff and then 60-90 minutes to enjoy the show.

What time do you normally get up?

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 21 Oct 2011 20:35

Interesting question! Especially since WBTB is the only method that works for me (so far) to induce LDing.

I think it's really a matter of personal sleep habits.

I tend to hit the hay around 11 / 11:30pm on worknights and fire up the coffee pot around 7am. I'm lucky in that I tend to wake up at least once during the night on my own--and it always seems to be right around 4:30 or 5am. So I've gotten at least five hours of "regular" sleep in before WBTB.

On worknights I usually don't stay up for any great length of time for WBTB, and I'm pretty much convinced that this is why I usually don't LD during the week--I definitely have better luck if I stay up for, like, forty-five minutes of so (depends on the night, tho'). I guess I'd also have to say that I'm lucky in that I usually wake up at least once again after that--so if I miss one REM cycle for LDing, I might be able to hit it later--or maybe have another LD if I really get lucky.

I've been able to have LDs if I just lay awake in bed for a while, but it seems to work better when I physically get up, if even just for a quick bathroom break.

There really does seem to be a sweet spot for WBTB. If it gets too late in the morning (closer to 7, or on weekends even later) I'll notice that I'm now too awake--that diurnal brain will kick in and I'll just want to get up and start my day.

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 21 Oct 2011 21:57

There really does seem to be a sweet spot for WBTB. If it gets too late in the morning (closer to 7, or on weekends even later) I'll notice that I'm now too awake--that diurnal brain will kick in and I'll just want to get up and start my day.

I'm with you. If I go too close to my normal wake time, I'm not tired enough to fall back to sleep.

Also, like you, WBTB is the only reliable way for me to LD. Would love to figure out WILD. Sounds like a gas.

Peter

Postby Peter » 21 Oct 2011 22:25

are you to confusing WILD and WBTB as if you wake up and then go back to bed and drift into a LD without going to sleep it is a WILD

You may already be there

Peter :P
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

VordinGaming

Postby VordinGaming » 21 Oct 2011 23:33

Thanks for all the replies back guys! I have just started WBTB like 2 weeks ago. I usually tried WILD for a lucid dream but it always failed. Then the WBTB method has worked once for me but I was unable to have a lucid dream because I had a false awakening. I basically missed my chance to have a lucid dream. On school nights (weekdays) I usually got to sleep around 10:30-11:00 P.M. I set my alarm for 4:00 A.M then wake up and fall back asleep. I'm not really sure when to do it on weekends. On weekends I got to sleep around 1-2A.M. Would that ruin my chances of having a lucid dream?

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 22 Oct 2011 01:31

Peter wrote:are you to confusing WILD and WBTB as if you wake up and then go back to bed and drift into a LD without going to sleep it is a WILD

I don't think so.

I may be wrong but my view of the two is this-

WBTB (wake back to bed) is sleeping partway through the night and one or more REM cycles and then staying up for a while. And falling back to sleep directly to REM. This works very well for me.

Whereas WILD is any time you use the technique (more typically associated with OBE) where you try to maintain consciousness directly into a LD. THis can be done at any time and doesn't specifically leverage getting up at 3-4 am although you can do it that way.

WBTB specifically takes advantage of the body's need for more REM sleep. Whereas WILD takes advantage of your ability to maintain consciousness while the body goes to sleep. Different approaches entirely.

See description below from elsewhere on this site...

The Wake Back To Bed Method

STEP ONE - Go to bed as normal and allow yourself to sleep for six hours. Set your alarm clock or have another early riser wake you up.

STEP TWO - After six hours, get out of bed and fully wake yourself up. Find something to occupy your brain to make you alert. Read about lucid dreaming if you want to stay focused on the subject. Stay alert for 20-60 minutes. (Hint: you must get out of bed!)

STEP THREE - Go back to bed and relax. If your mind is too alert, practice meditation, listen to brainwave entrainment and/or perform Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams. Use your visualization skills to place your mind back in the dreamscape and plan your next lucid dream as you fall asleep

The main difference is WILD involves transitioning to LD without loosing consciousness and WBTB involves falling asleep but going right to REM.

Peter

Postby Peter » 22 Oct 2011 03:57

All good and agree. I do both at times but prefer WILD after getting up for a bit as I dont need to be concerned about dream signs. They really frustrate me and I miss most of them. Also WILD does not have to be via OBE although this happens about half the time or part OBE - a leg comes loose and then you are in the dream.

Very late nights tend to give me very vivid dreams but not so many LD but this will vary from person to person

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 22 Oct 2011 08:50

Totally agree that one of the best things about the middle of the night techniques (at least for me) is that I don't have to depend on dream signs. I just get a "feeling" that tells me "this is a dream".. I still have a lot of work to do on seeing those dream signs as I'm dreaming. Like most people, I'm really good at seeing them after the fact... : (

And here I sit at 3:45 am. Writing in my dream journal reading a bit on the computer, getting ready to go back to my warm bed where maybe a LD awaits. : )

Peter

Postby Peter » 22 Oct 2011 20:50

That hour of the morning is great and I think its really normal to be awake at that time. Get online and onto Ryan Hurd's website and download his free e-book. Its very interesting and makes the point that our "normal sleeping hours" are a product of the industrial age. I agree and also feel that eating is the same. 3 meals a day is just Bull....t as it is merely fits in with the working day and not at all with what we need or our body demands for good health

Peter

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”