Dreaming in Black and White? General dream question

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Gooeymaw

Dreaming in Black and White? General dream question

Postby Gooeymaw » 18 Dec 2011 02:30

I'm a long time lucid dreamer here, and I've read so very many books on the subject, and I have a general question. At least on the occassions these books mention the topic of color in dreams, and on the occassions I've managed to coax my personal friends into discussing their dreams, they almost invariably say they dream in black and white, and only occassionaly in color, and further more they say most of their dreams are experienced like they're watching tv. I find that really bizarre.

I wanted to hear from other people that they also dream in full color all the time, like me. I barely find it feasible that dreaming in black and white is even a real thing.

I've had a few dreams that were in a sort of sepia tones and one that was in red and black, but those were exceptions to the usual full color dreams.

Peter

Re: Dreaming in Black and White? General dream question

Postby Peter » 18 Dec 2011 02:40

full color for me. It may be that they are dreaming OF black and white for some reason
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 18 Dec 2011 02:42

That would be weird. I remember having this one friend approach me and tell me that he had this amazing dream because it was in FULL COLOR and in 3d! I was so stunned, and was like...uh...you mean you don't NORMALLY dream like that? So we were both super impressed how the other experienced dreams. I would be totally blown away by a black and white, dream in 2d.

thomas

Postby thomas » 18 Dec 2011 03:10

Hello - yep, I dream in full color - can't remember one dream that wasn't. Like you, I too have friends that only dream in black and white. I thought they were kidding me, but they weren't. They asked me how to dream in color - I told them I'll have to think about that one. I'll have to ask them about the 2-D issue. It didn't even occur to me to ask - I just assumed theirs would be 3-D also.

Thomas

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 18 Dec 2011 18:14

I just assumed dreams are experienced in the same way real life is experienced. I once talked to someone online who was blind about their dreams, but they got all weird on me, and never really told me how they experienced dreams, so I missed out on that. I'd like to know, though.

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 19 Dec 2011 02:02

Had only one dream that I can remember in B&W. A few months ago. I think it was because it was sort of a noire style dream set in the 50's and my subconscious decided it would be better that way. : )

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 19 Dec 2011 02:29

That's awesome!

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Dec 2011 17:17

I just woke up from an incredible lucid dream, my best one yet. I got to see the stages. What was really interesting about it was that it started out in black and white. I was actually lucid during this part thinking, what is this garbage? This isn't like the lucid dreams I've had before. It was almost like I was having thoughts, not dreams. Then I thought, I don't think I'm completely asleep yet. I can't wait to actually go to sleep. I was kind of in the dark and just like you said, watching a movie. I sometimes wake up and remember my dreams being this way, but not often. But then suddenly I was in a room talking with people, 3D solid and in color. Must be awake, I thought. But then wait, this is a dream. WOW, this is too real for a dream. So I'm thinking maybe the black and white stuff is a level of dreaming that isn't as deep.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 22 Dec 2011 11:49

I usually dream in color, but have dreamed in: black and white; red and white and blue and white.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

fistania

Postby fistania » 28 Dec 2011 05:54

wow that's interesting! i think i have never dreamt in other than full color, especially when i was a kid, they're much more colorful than when i've grown up. how many person said that?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”