Is there experimental evidence for OBEs?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
lucidinthe sky

Is there experimental evidence for OBEs?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 17 Feb 2012 02:57

I'm reading one of Tom Campbell's books and he talks about setting up OBE experiments. He makes some huge claims about OBEs such as his volunteers "were reading numbers in sealed envelopes, remote viewing...reading next week's newspaper headlines." He also claims to have been able to do these things himself and also travel with others and experience the same things at the same time and also verify the results. He claims to have produced a "huge pile of measured data".

I've also read that there remains no proof from any experiments that people in OBEs can do any of these things. Is that correct? Is there anyone who knows if any of these experiments that Monroe or others did were ever confirmed by anyone other than the group that worked together on their projects? If they were never confirmed, why not since they were really looking to legitimize the whole thing. I'd like to believe it's true, but these things should have been confirmed by someone, I would think.
Last edited by lucidinthe sky on 17 Feb 2012 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Re: Is there experimental evidence for OBEs?

Postby Peter » 17 Feb 2012 03:34

I have read the same books and would like to believe as well but have not seen anything that can be measured. There are many claims to shared experiances and these are used as proof and backed by stong beliefs. I dont think I have seen one repeatable experiment anywhere that has been documented.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 17 Feb 2012 03:54

Peter,

If you are right, I'm disappointed. It's one thing to say, "Hey I had an OBE and here's what happened. You may not believe it, but this is my experience..." O.K, experience is subjective, no problem, I can accept that and I'm willing to listen. Hopefully I can learn something.

It's a whole different story, however, when you say, "Look, I want you to be skeptical but be open minded. I'm going to prove to you with the scientific method of reproducible experiments that I can do this. For example, reading a series of numbers in a sealed envelope. Great experiment and he says he's done it. O.K, if I could do this with success repeatedly, the first thing I would do is try to set up experiments with as many independent scientists as possible to show them and get this documented. Especially if I were someone wanting to be considered ligitimate. There would be people eager to see this. Why wasn't this done? Makes you skeptical.

As Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Feb 2012 06:33

That’s the crux of the issue, I would like to believe and am open minded after all I have plenty of these experiences but they are my experiences and I can form opinions but not deliver any proof. What I suspect happens is that over a lot of the experiments some sort of statistical evidence is collected with the slightest omissions and this forms proof by probability only. Or in simple terms they are close but no banana
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 17 Feb 2012 17:12

Peter wrote:What I suspect happens is that over a lot of the experiments some sort of statistical evidence is collected with the slightest omissions and this forms proof by probability only. Or in simple terms they are close but no banana

I think a lot of things are proven by statistical data, so there's no problem with that as long as the statistics are significant. If you flip a coin that I can't see and 51% of my guesses are correct, I haven't proven anything.

Your probably right about the omissions too since no one else was there to see. How would you know? I wish people wouldn't make claims like this and not back them up. I don't even want to finish reading the book now, I'm really disgusted.

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Feb 2012 20:26

Keep your mind open as its a valid book if you see it as opinion and not fact and even if the conclusions are a bit fuzzy they were experiencing OBE so there will be gems in there.

I read everything and after all I can only offer opinion that it is incorrect, it’s easier to absorb information and it’s really just part of Lucid dream emersion and can’t be bad at that level. Your annoyance with it will be a strong feeling and along with the concentration might just seed a lucid dream and if so you then owe the book something regardless of content :)

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 18 Feb 2012 00:38

Yeah I agree thats a really good point, if I were able to reliably do OBEs and actually experienced guessing numbers in an envelope, then I would probably do my best to set up an experiment to prove it. I don't understand why they haven't gone ahead and documented it.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 18 Feb 2012 03:35

Jack Reacher wrote:Yeah I agree thats a really good point, if I were able to reliably do OBEs and actually experienced guessing numbers in an envelope, then I would probably do my best to set up an experiment to prove it. I don't understand why they haven't gone ahead and documented it.

Probably because they can't do it. :)

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 24 Feb 2012 03:07

Well, you've got two choices at this point...

Believe they did it... or don't believe they did it.

Actually, there's a third choice... do it and confirm it for yourself. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 Feb 2012 03:26

It's really not important to me whether they "did it" or not.

If people want to share some valuable things they learned during these experiences, that's what really matters to me. I'm all ears, always eager to learn something. Enlighten me. But I get these things without any trips at all. Don't get me wrong, I do love lucid dreams and hope to learn something from them.

But that's really the point, unless you can bring something of value back from whatever trip you take, it's just your trip. Nothing against that, but I'm not really impressed with these supposed "psychic abilities". I think most of it is pure BS.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”