Getting past the third person

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
j.mcarthur

Getting past the third person

Postby j.mcarthur » 30 Jul 2013 05:32

Hi all, my issue right now is that dreams are so irregular for me. I don't dream often but I've had dreams where long plots played out but the entire time i was either watching myself or i was watching events happen to someone else without any type of first person experience. Currently I'm trying the WILD technique with visualization where i relax my body and try to visualize a dream environment. I can do it pretty well sometimes, but i have to constantly keep working my imagination into taking another step and forming new environments and sensual experiences. Even if it seems very real to me for a moment, i can't seem to flick the sleep switch and enter. Please, could someone clue me in??

Luna4277

Re: Getting past the third person

Postby Luna4277 » 31 Jul 2013 19:58

I understand how you feel. Rarely do I, myself, get to experience my own dreams. Every time i have a memorable dream, I'm always on the outside looking in, watching actions occur to myself and faintly feeling them happen. Even at the start of the very few lucid dreams I've had, they were always 3rd person POV and switch for a second or two into 1st person (then they disappear).
One remedy for this that i know of is playing A LOT of 1st person videogames. Since I started playing TESV: Skyrim, I've been doing a lot of fantasy-like events in my dreams and they're all in 1st person!! Instead of starting in 3rd and switching to first like they usually do, they start in 1st and switch only once in a while. However recently, i haven't been playing at all and my dreams are back to "normal" (3rd person).
Just curious, when you write down your dreams in the journal, are you writing in present tense or past tense? Turns out, you're supposed to write in present tense and i haven't been and if you have been doing the same, perhaps that could be the cause of our 3rd person dreams :)

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 01 Sep 2013 12:49

Just out of curiosity, do either of you two play a lot of 3rd person games (eg. mmos) or watch a lot of TV?
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Sep 2013 12:51

Yeah, for me at least, the reason I go into third person in dreams is because I watched a lot of stimulating television, or I played a third person video game.
Well said.

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 01 Sep 2013 12:57

Interesting, the only time I've ever been in third person within a dream was when I played a ton of third person games, and that was non-lucid and I thought I was geniunely playing the game.
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Sep 2013 13:00

Oh right yeah I'm never lucid when I'm in third person. And if I did become lucid while in that, I'd just switch it to first. Also, whenever I have a dream about a certain overly-played video game, I always think that I'm genuinely playing it, and I have this ... I don't know ... second set of hands? that I use to control my character. Like, I can "feel" the buttons beneath a nonexistent set of second hands.
Well said.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”